SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Transmission drain & fill experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-11, 06:40 PM
deathstar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gripau1
This is what my tranny fluid look like. The right side bottle was jet black similar to the colour of Coke or black coffee.

The fluid was SUPPOSE to be done by a Lexus dealer, ie there is a stamp in the book at about 6000km ago before I took delivery of the car.

Doesn't look like its been ever changed. the oil smells pretty bad and was really disappointed that Lexus really ripped off the previous owner as the car was service at the same place from new.

I flush over 18 litres of tranny fluid to make sure that its nice and clean.

She shifts silky smooth now.
holly crap dude, how many miles on your car?
Old 10-08-11, 10:09 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The fluid from my 2002 tranny with 50k miles looks like that in the jug too. But if you take out a sample it actually is more like dark red but mine smelled ok.

Also my car shifted smooth before the fluid change. I didn't feel any change in shifting after fluid change.
Old 10-09-11, 02:58 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by deathstar
holly crap dude, how many miles on your car?
Around about 100k km when I got it. What really gets me is that the car has been service from a Lexus dealer all its life.

These are things that I changed when I first got her.

Brake fluid change
power steering fluid change (looks as black as the tranny fluid), ie never changed.
oil and filter change
diff oil change
tranny fluid change
Old 10-18-11, 02:55 PM
Celeb1
Driver School Candidate

This may be a dumb question,but does the trans.filter need to be changed say every 25,000 miles ???
Old 10-18-11, 03:22 PM
tentoys
Rookie

not sure about lexus but all my toyotas had screens rather than filters and don't really ever need to be changed. i cleaned my 99 land cruiser at about 120k miles and it didn't need it.
Old 04-03-12, 08:28 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gripau1
This is what my tranny fluid look like. The right side bottle was jet black similar to the colour of Coke or black coffee.

The fluid was SUPPOSE to be done by a Lexus dealer, ie there is a stamp in the book at about 6000km ago before I took delivery of the car.

Doesn't look like its been ever changed. the oil smells pretty bad and was really disappointed that Lexus really ripped off the previous owner as the car was service at the same place from new.

I flush over 18 litres of tranny fluid to make sure that its nice and clean.

She shifts silky smooth now.
Was there any metal shavings or any other "Debris" in the dark fluid ?
Old 04-03-12, 12:47 PM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

There were bits of title of metals shavings, not much but you can see it with the naked eye.
Old 04-04-12, 07:52 AM
airmaui
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Yes. I have done the oil twice since getting the car. But have drained and filled 3x. Moving forward every other oli change.

The tranny fluid is looking good now.

Mandy, How much do you remove per change and did you pump it out or is there a drain plug? Thanks.
Old 04-04-12, 10:05 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Celeb1
This may be a dumb question,but does the trans.filter need to be changed say every 25,000 miles ???
In all my past LS-400's, the filter is made of a material that can easily be flushed with a solvent such as Chemtool B-12 or whatever you want to use. Mine never really showed any debris to amount to anything, so with that said I'd save my money and clean the one you have if possible. Just be sure to flush the pan and the magnet(s) that may be in the bottom of the pan.
Old 04-10-12, 07:02 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Default Drain & Fills

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Yes. I have done the oil twice since getting the car. But have drained and filled 3x. Moving forward every other oli change.

The tranny fluid is looking good now.
Mandyfig........you are obviously as concerned about transmission fluid as we that have LS-430's are. Since our tranny's are sealed and it takes special equipment to pump new fluid in and push the old out, do you have any suggestions on what us LS-430 owners should do ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-10-12, 10:03 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If I might take the liberty of answering regarding the "special equipment" needed to extract the transmission fluid, you can probably use an inexpensive transfer pump such as one that I bought at Harbor Freight per post #9 in this thread. I've used this for several engines with great results. For about $5 it's not much of an investment. The process is easy and you really don't need to get dirty. It can be a bit toasty working around the engine but it's easier to pump the oil out if it's hot. Depending upon the capacity of your transmission and the amount that you can pump out in one pass it could take a number of cycles to replace the bulk of the fluid. As an example, replacing half the fluid in each of two passes (probably optimistic) will only remove 75% of the old oil.
Old 04-10-12, 10:54 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cjs18
If I might take the liberty of answering regarding the "special equipment" needed to extract the transmission fluid, you can probably use an inexpensive transfer pump such as one that I bought at Harbor Freight per post #9 in this thread. I've used this for several engines with great results. For about $5 it's not much of an investment. The process is easy and you really don't need to get dirty. It can be a bit toasty working around the engine but it's easier to pump the oil out if it's hot. Depending upon the capacity of your transmission and the amount that you can pump out in one pass it could take a number of cycles to replace the bulk of the fluid. As an example, replacing half the fluid in each of two passes (probably optimistic) will only remove 75% of the old oil.
Thanks for the information on "special equipment". I'm a senior citizen and am not a mechanic and I don't plan to start now. I, fortunately, have the money to hire an expert mechanic that knows exactly what they are doing to change my fluids. I'm not going to risk the transmission on my car by experimenting when we are only talking a couple hundred dollars to have it done. I do, however, appreciate your directing me to where I can buy the "pump".