SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Should I change my wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-11, 06:25 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Welcome, can not go wrong on recommendations around here. Your 06 stock is good as is. Take you time in deciding what to do.

Enjoy the SC!
Old 10-18-11, 08:10 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Good choice - get new non-run flats and enjoy the car for a while before making major changes.

While definitely producing a custom look, 19" or 20" wheels/tires along with lowering the car can be costly changes that sometimes result in undesired changes in the way the car rides and handles.

Lowering the car can also mean significantly less ground clearance and that can also be a challenge depending on where you have to drive it.
Old 10-18-11, 10:33 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am putting on a set light aftermarket 18" wheels (21 lbs) and the TTE springs. Stock wheels (27 lbs) are hogs and the stock springs are too soft.
Old 10-19-11, 05:06 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by jzwu
I am putting on a set light aftermarket 18" wheels (21 lbs) and the TTE springs. Stock wheels (27 lbs) are hogs and the stock springs are too soft.
Agree 27 lbs wheel are relatively heavy. Reducing the un-sprung weight on the car will almost always improve handling and performance of the suspension. I'd also suggest being mindful of difference in weight of tire brands/models also - tire weight can also significantly vary.
Old 10-19-11, 06:23 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
I loved the way my 20s looked, hated the ride. The combination of low profile tires made the steering wheel shake at times, and braking at high speeds the car felt twitchy. I eventually sold them and put on 08 OEM, the same wheels you have now with fat michellins. This is a sporty car, not a sport car. It is built for comfort. I think you loose a lot putting on 20s, on a car that is made to luxo cruise. I enjoy the car so much more now. At my age, still early 40s most of the time I want to be comfortable, and occasionally I want a sports car. Don't kill what Lexus engineers worked so hard to give you. I also get 3 more mpg with factory wheels, and my 0-60 dropped from 6.43 to 5.85. After this experience I will never use a non-OEM wheel. Some who spent big bucks on wheels say that they are as good, but I have ridden in cars with high priced wheels and it did not feel as good to me. You have a rare car, with pretty good looking wheels. I would put the money elsewhere. It is very easy to get caught up with what to do next with this car, but truth is, it is not a mod friendly car. I recommend you drive it a while the way it is.
I agree that Lexus did not engineer the car for 20's but I don't see how the driving dynamics could be so bad with the right selection of mods. Many people attempt offsets that are too aggressive and drops too low. One inch drops and semi-conservative wheel offsets should not destroy the ride integrity to unbearable levels. You could go with 19's if really concerned.
Regardless of it's engineering, the SC430 just doesn't look right with those smallish wheels and 4x4 height. It looks like an Easter egg stock. The mods make it so much more stylish that it's unbelievable.
To each his or her own.
Old 10-19-11, 08:06 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Where I've seen people run into issues is when they buy inexpensive, heavy 20" wheels. In that case, you are likely to have problems with vibrations and the ride quality will suffer. But the OP was asking about Work wheels, so in all likelihood this wouldn't have been an issue. My car rides night and day better on 20" Work wheels than it did on stock wheels with runflats.

In my opinion the SC is a great car to mod, but it's expensive to do it right. Either way, you make compromises. If you get inexpensive wheels, you're likely to sacrifice ride quality. If you get expensive wheels, you sacrifice money. If you buy cheap, knockoff body kits, you'll have fitment and overall quality issues.

I personally don't subscribe to the "Lexus engineered it that way" argument. Even Lexus engineers have to make compromises. They knew ride quality would suffer with runflats, but they sacrificed that to eliminate the spare tire for more cargo space. They also know that there are much better suspensions available. But they're also much more expensive and would be wasted on the original target market.

In the end, it all comes down to priorities. I've spent a lot more money modding my car than I ever thought I would. But I've also kept it longer than any other car I've owned. I'd rather spend money on something like a body kit than spend even more money on a new car and have it be bone stock.
Old 10-19-11, 08:15 AM
Gutz13
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same boat as Mustscs. I have the same stock wheels with RFT (SC 2006). I will get new tires when these wear out and wanted to get larger wheels, but do not want to lower the car or compromise the ride. I also like the offsets, but not sure how much. I have read most of the threads on wheel fitment, and there seems to be a lot of opinion and controversy. If I keep my stock wheels and purchase non-RFT for now, what offset should I use so that my ride is not compromised. Sorry if this seems like I'm beating a dead cat, but I don't have anyone near me that has modified their car similar to this that I can test drive.
Old 10-19-11, 08:20 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gutz13
I'm in the same boat as Mustscs. I have the same stock wheels with RFT (SC 2006). I will get new tires when these wear out and wanted to get larger wheels, but do not want to lower the car or compromise the ride. I also like the offsets, but not sure how much. I have read most of the threads on wheel fitment, and there seems to be a lot of opinion and controversy. If I keep my stock wheels and purchase non-RFT for now, what offset should I use so that my ride is not compromised. Sorry if this seems like I'm beating a dead cat, but I don't have anyone near me that has modified their car similar to this that I can test drive.
You can't change the offsets on your wheels, you can only add spacers which may also cause vibrations. If you do decide to add spacers, I'd suggest 20mm front / 25mm rear hubcentric.
Old 10-19-11, 08:41 AM
Gutz13
Rookie

Sorry Liquid, I meant add spacers. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-19-11, 11:34 AM
Tensi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love those stock wheels! SO jealous!!!
Old 10-19-11, 04:43 PM
Emackny
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

First and foremost.. welcome to CL!

Second.. Much respect to you for reading through posts and knowing about lowering and spacers. You have options.. You can keep the wheels that you have now and just change the RF. That alone would improve your ride quality. If your looking to buy after market wheels (you mentioned WORK), selecting the correct offset (check out the wheel fitment thread) will avoid the spacers issue. You have good taste. This is an excellent forum and I'm sure a number of us here will assist you with what ever it is that you are looking for.

PLUG.. I have a set of Tein lowering springs with stock shocks coming up for sale soon if your interested.. heehee..

Congrats on being an SC owner.. enjoy the ride.

Last edited by Emackny; 10-19-11 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-19-11, 08:11 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey guys just a heads up if any of you are looking to switch out pie plates im selling my 2010 ISx50 wheels since im moving to ISF wheels. PM Me if interested right now i have them listed for like 1100 including almost new tires and tire pressue sensors (not sue if the TPMS are compatible with the 02-05 sensors but maybe the newer models). Anyhow I thought Id let you all know since I too needed to upgrade my stock SC wheels at one point, if an SC guys em ill give you a discount haha
Old 10-20-11, 04:08 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by gottagitmines
First and foremost.. welcome to CL!

Second.. Much respect to you for reading through posts and knowing about lowering and spacers. You have options.. You can keep the wheels that you have now and just change the RF. That alone would improve your ride quality. If your looking to buy after market wheels (you mentioned WORK), selecting the correct offset (check out the wheel fitment thread) will avoid the spacers issue. You have good taste. This is an excellent forum and I'm sure a number of us here will assist you with what ever it is that you are looking for.

PLUG.. I have a set of Tein lowering springs with stock shocks coming up for sale soon if your interested.. heehee..

Congrats on being an SC owner.. enjoy the ride.
...pm me when you get ready to sell them, maybe I'll have a few extra bucks lying around or someone won't get anything for christmas...lol
Old 10-21-11, 04:52 PM
deathstar
Driver

I ditched my RFT's last month. I highly suggest like many others the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's. Great price at discounttiredirect.com with $80 rebate. They transformed my car into a beast in the corners yet ride supple at highway speed with no road noise at all. I agree you should keep the factory wheels. Of course you could bling them.