Should I change my wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-11, 06:04 AM
mustcsc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I change my wheels?

Hi Everyone,
I just got my "new to me" SC430, and I am in L-O-V-E! Like many of you I want to change the wheels and I simply hate those RF tires. I am just not sure if I want to go with 20 inch wheels, bc as a woman I don't know much about lowering the car, spacers and all the other things that go along with that.

I've been reading as many of the posts as I can, but it's still all foreign to me. I want the sporty look but a comfortable ride, so should I just change my wheels and tires and stick with the 18s? I found some great looking WORKS wheels that I can't stop thinking of,(20s and higher) but I need to know what I am doing before I spend that much money and make a mistake. Does anyone know where I can go to get great guidance? I appreciate any assistance.
Attached Thumbnails Should I change my wheels?-img_2142.jpg   Should I change my wheels?-img_2167.jpg  
Old 10-15-11, 08:26 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Welcome to CL, and I'd say go for it! Just make sure they are TPMS compatible
Old 10-15-11, 08:43 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, as starters, welcome to your Lexus and welcome to the forums. Glad to see another new owner signing, and more women are always welcome

as for your ride, I will actually suggest you to think about lowering first, or at least lowering and wheels together in mind. Why? based on experience, when you size up a wheel, most of the time you will probably go with a lower profile tire (skinnier tires), and when that is paired with the stock ride height it will look seriously uncool.

for the ride comfort thing, it all depends on what type of setting you go for. I will leave the discussion to the more experienced members.
Old 10-15-11, 09:22 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice car and beautiful color combo!

I would suggest.... First, get rid of the RFT, lower the car with coilovers and spacers.... And you decide them about the wheels.

These are realy nice wheels, I would keep them.

Just my .02$
Old 10-15-11, 09:39 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you do get 20" wheels, you'll also want to lower it. Preferably with coilovers. But you can use lowering springs to save money. You lower it partly to get rid of the gap between the wheels and fenders. And partly because larger wheels increase your ride height. It looks and handles better when you lower the center of gravity back to where it was (or a little lower).

20" wheels with non-runflat tires will ride much smoother than 18" wheels with runflat tires. You might also consider 19" wheels. They'll give you a smoother ride than 20". But in my opinion, they look a little small. Also, you definitely don't want to go with anything larger than 20".

As far as fitment goes, I'd recommend something like 20x8.5+25 front. 20x9.5+25 rear. That's conservative enough that you don't have to worry about rubbing. But aggressive enough that they're fairly flush with the fenders.

Which Work wheels are you looking at? I just got my second set of Works and I can tell you they look even better in person.
Old 10-15-11, 09:49 AM
mustcsc
Driver School Candidate

You guys are awesome and this is great information. I never thought about lowering the car and keeping current wheels. Yes others have told me that they are great looking. I guess they would look even better if the car was lowered. That's a new option for me... but I still love those Works wheels and they don't come in 18s. The ones I am looking at are the Schwert SC 4M. I think that they would be beautiful on the car which is a smoky granite color.
Old 10-15-11, 10:09 AM
Yes

The Schwert SC 4M is only available in 15" and 16" wheels. Did you mean the Schwert SC4?

For what it's worth, I personally think the design on that wheel is slightly busy for the SC. The Schwert SC2 would look much better in my opinion.

One other thing to think about is that stock brakes on the SC430 are an eyesore. The calipers are unpainted and the rotors will be rusty. So if you get an open face wheel, you might find that you want to do something about your brakes. On the cheap end, you can paint the calipers and replace the rotors. Or for more money (a lot more) you can get a big brake kit.
Old 10-15-11, 10:15 AM
Yes

Btw, here's a shot of the Schwert SC2 on a SC430. This car also has a full body kit and air suspension, so it won't look quite the same, but gives you an idea...

Old 10-15-11, 10:23 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just make sure you find a shop who has experience with this stuff. Ask for pictures and/or documentation. When I chose the shop to lower my car it was the one that kept a photo journal of cars they did. The shop that does my wheels has been doing performance wheels for 30-something years. That makes a lot of difference and gives confidence.

Welcome to CL. Nice car. SC430's are stylish but need bigger wheels and a drop to look their best imo.
Old 10-15-11, 10:32 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like those wheels, you should be able to sell them easy on here to another member since they are not the old pie plates, that should soften the blow a bit. On that color I would highly recommend the BBS 19" wheels that come on the 2009 Lexus ISF, they are a dark gunmetal type wheel. They are forged and staggared light weight so youll get the quality your looking for.

I believe they are 19x8 front and 19x9 rear, im thinking about putting them on my IS250.
Attached Thumbnails Should I change my wheels?-isf.jpg  
Old 10-15-11, 12:45 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
Btw, here's a shot of the Schwert SC2 on a SC430. This car also has a full body kit and air suspension, so it won't look quite the same, but gives you an idea...

OMG hot car, kit and wheels....

WOW

Go for the Sherbert wheels or whatever the funny name is!
Old 10-15-11, 01:18 PM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Welcome to the board

I like those OEM wheels on the SC and they look good to me....
Old 10-16-11, 08:59 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Mild drop and spacers will make a worlds difference! I wish i had your SC. wanna trade?
Old 10-16-11, 02:46 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I loved the way my 20s looked, hated the ride. The combination of low profile tires made the steering wheel shake at times, and braking at high speeds the car felt twitchy. I eventually sold them and put on 08 OEM, the same wheels you have now with fat michellins. This is a sporty car, not a sport car. It is built for comfort. I think you loose a lot putting on 20s, on a car that is made to luxo cruise. I enjoy the car so much more now. At my age, still early 40s most of the time I want to be comfortable, and occasionally I want a sports car. Don't kill what Lexus engineers worked so hard to give you. I also get 3 more mpg with factory wheels, and my 0-60 dropped from 6.43 to 5.85. After this experience I will never use a non-OEM wheel. Some who spent big bucks on wheels say that they are as good, but I have ridden in cars with high priced wheels and it did not feel as good to me. You have a rare car, with pretty good looking wheels. I would put the money elsewhere. It is very easy to get caught up with what to do next with this car, but truth is, it is not a mod friendly car. I recommend you drive it a while the way it is.

Last edited by KaiserSea1; 10-16-11 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-18-11, 05:39 PM
mustcsc
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone,.. I am so glad I signed on to this site! You guys made me feel so much better about my car, which I truly truly love. I have decided that since I am new at this, and the tires are my biggest issue, that I will ditch the RFs (even though there's still lots of miles on them) and just change tires for the time being. Thanks for all your honest responses and support....

If the world was more like CL it would be a better place!

Quick Reply: Should I change my wheels?