SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

I Am In Heaven With New Tires!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-02, 09:03 PM
NREIFF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Am In Heaven With New Tires!!

After 18 months and 17000 miles . . my car feels like heaven with new tires.

I dumped the Dunlop non RFs for Michelin Auto Pilot A/Ss. The Dunlops were great up to 10000 miles but got noisy and were wearing on the inside treads. Plus, I had a history of side wall bubbles with these tires.

After mush research on the Tire Rack site and after considering RFs since I do have sensors . . .I feel like I have a brand new SC. Maybe even better!

THe car is quiet . . smooth . .and responsive like it hasn't been for a ferw months. I am sorry I waited for 17000 miles before justifying new tires.

I got a new set of Lexus wheels cheap from a dealer who replaced them on a new showroom car for custom wheels. New tires. And an alignment. THE BEST MONEY I EVER SPENT!!

THe Michelins are great.

For all of you with RFs, you may want to consider these tires. I do not know how good the new RFs are . . .but is it worth sacrificing ride quality just to have a RF which you really can't ride on anyway??

NREIFF
Philadelphia, PA
Old 10-03-02, 09:52 PM
DropTop430
Driver

Sounds like a great fit all round..A few questions, what made you decide on all seasons, are you going to drive the car in the winter? How much and what other tires did you consider? What is the speed rating of the tires?
Old 10-03-02, 11:24 PM
NREIFF
Driver School Candidate

The Michelins are YR rated . .and yes this is true in an all season tire.

I wasn't looking necessarily for AS tires but this quote on the Tire Rack site convinced me . . .

" better than bridgestone potenza RE040, Pirelli P7000A/S by far. no bubbles, lower noise, great traction and handling. could not justify purchasing dedicated summer tires due to excellent performance".

and another one . . .

" Got these tires about 5300 miles ago . . Very nice handling match to my SC400. Steering response is not too sharp, very linear. Ultimate dry grip is best I've experienced with an all-season tire (not as good as the Dunlop SP9000s that I had, but better than the Pilot HX MXM4 tires I took off), and the wet grip is simply outstanding. Hydroplaning resistance is outstanding as well (got caught in a wicked and very sudden thunderstorm a couple of weeks ago, and the car was solid as a rock). . . One other thing: Smooth-road ride on these tires is awesome for the performance delivered. "

Sounded pretty convincing.

And I did not buy from Tire Rack. Bought them at NTB and they handle the sensor issue great . And at $24.00 per tire, it is the firsttime I ever went for the road hazard warranty which, after all my sidewall bubbles in the Dunlops . . might be a bargain. But hopefully that problem has been solved.

NREIFF
Old 10-04-02, 02:13 AM
alfa2600
Driver

Neil

What is NTB?
Old 10-04-02, 09:46 AM
Hugeness
Driver School Candidate

NTB = National Tire and Battery (I think).

My question - How did they handle the sensor issue?

Thanks for the great info.
Old 10-04-02, 06:47 PM
NREIFF
Driver School Candidate

Yes, NTB is National Tire and Battery which I do believe has stores everywhere.

THe price of the tires is $262.00 each which is the same as Tire Rack. But NTB doesn't charge for mounting and balancing is very reasonable. I forget how much it was.

The secret to the sensor issue it seems was to remove the nut on the valve and then to punch the sensor valve into the tire before dismounting the tire from the rim. This way the sensor valve is in the tire and doesn't get damaged when removing the tire.

NREIFF
Old 10-05-02, 06:56 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I already have on order with my local Michelin Tire dealer these Pilot Sports A/S and I can't wait. They happen to be on backorder now from Michelin in my particular size.

I am convinced just like you that they will be a huge improvement to the stock Bridgestone RE030s, that are not very good.
Old 10-07-02, 07:49 PM
NREIFF
Driver School Candidate

Just an update to my post . . .

MY SC is simply GREAT with new tires. I fell like I have a new car . . . maybe even better, everytime I drive. Once again, I find myself looking for the fun and windy roads when I am driving.

I have to admit I was having my doubts about whether my SC430 was really better than my previous SC300 5-speed.

IF you are anywhere close to me and want to see what its like . .I am willing to share the excitement!

NREIFF
Old 10-08-02, 12:38 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by NREIFF
Just an update to my post . . .

MY SC is simply GREAT with new tires. I fell like I have a new car . . . maybe even better, everytime I drive. Once again, I find myself looking for the fun and windy roads when I am driving.

I have to admit I was having my doubts about whether my SC430 was really better than my previous SC300 5-speed.

IF you are anywhere close to me and want to see what its like . .I am willing to share the excitement!

NREIFF
NREIFF,

It's good to hear that you these new tires are working out well for you. Mine are still on backorder, so I am just waitng patiently for them to come in and then try them out on my GS430.

I can't wait!

They should have a meet in the Philly area for members.
Old 10-08-02, 05:14 PM
bengreen
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NREIFF..re: Michelin

My local NT&B quotes me $267 for the Michelin 24540Z18 MNPLTSPTAS..plus $14 each for balance. Road hazard, another $27 each. (1) Comments???? (2) Did you get a spare, or are you relying on "fix-a-flat can"???? Can you get a "donut" 18".. I'm not sure, at 17,000 whether I want to continue with RF, hard ride and trunk space, or go conventional, pick up a better ride, but lose the ts.......Alas, I remember the days when my "car decisions" were limited to... "new or used".....Ah, such stress in our capitalistic world. What say???
Old 10-08-02, 06:32 PM
NREIFF
Driver School Candidate

BENGREEN-

$262.00 OR $267.00 . .What's the difference? I'll check my receipt and get back to you on that.

But as far as the spare tire goes, I have these thoughts . . .

1. I have the donut spare. And with a history of two prior tire replacements and recently two additional tires with sidewall bubbles (that should have been replaced but were driven on for 1000+ miles before going to the Michelins) I can tell you that I have never needed the spare. In fact, I think my prior SC300 had a donut (not sure though) that I never used.

Why use a donut spare unless you are in the middle of nowhere?

Especially with the Michelins, I would think that you can always get a tire within 24 hours max. And my experience says good tires don't blow out; they get damaged and you can still drive on them for the 100 miles that you can go on the donut (if your willing to drive at the slow speeds required on the donut).

2. As far as trunk space with the donut goes . . .
There is plenty of room in the trunk (even with the top down) for luggage for two people. The secret is soft luggage. And patience when placing it in the trunk. At least for a few days of travel. And there is always the back seat.

The spare tire, by the way, takes up about 5" width (back to front) of space at the rear ot the trunk. It is mounted vertically at the rear. Also, there is some room at the ends of the spare, between the tire and the side of the trunk. But to be honest, I have never seen the RF trunk so I really do not know what it looks like. I'll have to check it out.

Golf bags are another story. Mine fits fine in the back seat. And I usually keep a full set loose clubs in the trunk. No problem. Top up, golf bag fits in the trunk.

3. The FixaFlat can is not a bad idea if it eases your mind.
And if it eases your mind even more, you have always buy an extra tire and keep it at home . .but I don't think this is necessary except as an alternative to the donut option at probably the same cost.

But I can tell you that the Michelins are a beautiful thing!!
Old 10-09-02, 03:31 PM
bengreen
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NREIFF..re:Michelin/Thanks

Many thanks for your most helpful response re: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S..Appreciate. One last, triple part question, if I may....Did you get the donut from your Lexus dealer?... What do they cost??.... Any extra accessory needed to hold it in place in the recess well??..again, thanks for your mentorship.
Old 10-10-02, 10:55 PM
NREIFF
Driver School Candidate

bengreen-

I got ythe spare with the car when it was new cause I didn't have RFs. I don't know the cost but, being from Lexus, you can be sure it isn't chep but it is also done beautifully aas is the rest of the trunk. The spare tire does get bolted to the rear of the trunk; the bolt is hidden by a soft upholstered fitted cover.

NREIFF