SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

how to remove climate control device

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-11, 10:04 AM
chibs84
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to remove climate control device

So i've read on this forum that the climate control device comes out by just pulling it. But, i've had no luck. I've tried pulling as hard as i can, up, out, down. Prying on it, wiggling it. I feel retarded, can someone please throw me a bone.
Old 10-30-11, 11:39 AM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

It really does seem like it stuck.... but if you apply just the right pressure at the correct places it will pull straight back and out. Oh it's also help up to have a plastic removal tool to help you apply that pressure... Hopefully this diagram will give you the clues where it needs to be applied. In this case, diagram #2 shows the six pressure clip, which are, as you have found, pretty tight, so keep on applying outward pressure and it should pop loose..... Bone thrown! BTW welcome to the forum!.... if you haven't tried the Advanced search feature under Search in the menu bar, you can limit your searches to this sc430 forum and keyword.
Attached Thumbnails how to remove climate control device-controlpanelremoval.jpg  

Last edited by VVTiBob; 10-30-11 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-30-11, 12:50 PM
chibs84
Driver School Candidate

great diagram, thanks
Old 10-30-11, 03:51 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I've seen this done several times (my job is usually to pass the tools and hold the flashlight, unfortunately).

One thing I do know is that this is NOT a "pulling as hard as I can" operation. You need to get the side clips to disengage. The homemade removal tool I saw was a putty knife. I'm told the trick is to use it without cutting the thin leather dash in the process.

Oh, and the climate control unit is over a thousand bucks, so don't mess that up either!
Old 11-02-11, 06:29 PM
deathstar
Driver

good luck, i had the same problem trying to get my Grom audio installed. I pulled so dam hard I thought i broke the dam thing in half, the front half of the panel seperated on me and the wiring broke loose, all was okay though, just plugged everything back in and the Grom audio unit is awesome.
Old 11-02-11, 06:52 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Have to get this AC control panel out so I can take the Radio-CD unit out to get my jammed CD's out.
The following users liked this post:
benwah (03-31-24)
Old 11-03-11, 10:52 AM
robsvdp
Pole Position

Rubber gloves help too - need a decent grip.
Old 11-03-11, 01:07 PM
mandyfig

Good tip on the rubber gloves.
Old 11-03-11, 06:27 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I found that if you pull up and out and use a slight wiggle with constant even pressure increasing the presuure and wiggle as smooth as possible it will pop out. I then used light bulb grease on the clips and now its easy to pop it out and pop it .back. Its important to not squeeze it because you can damage the back light in the unit then you wont be able to read the digital information when its dark out
Old 11-04-11, 07:16 AM
mandyfig

^^Another good tip. Keep it coming.
Old 11-04-11, 09:04 AM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrblister
I found that if you pull up and out and use a slight wiggle with constant even pressure increasing the presuure and wiggle as smooth as possible it will pop out. I then used light bulb grease on the clips and now its easy to pop it out and pop it .back. Its important to not squeeze it because you can damage the back light in the unit then you wont be able to read the digital information when its dark out
^^^ That's what I did when I removed mine to install the Vaistech. I used lithium grease on the clips before I re-installed it. Mandy, just FYI, on top of the AC unit you have leather Ecru...that is attached to the AC unit as well and comes out with the unit. GL
Old 11-04-11, 09:30 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by A1Lexis
^^^ That's what I did when I removed mine to install the Vaistech. I used lithium grease on the clips before I re-installed it. Mandy, just FYI, on top of the AC unit you have leather Ecru...that is attached to the AC unit as well and comes out with the unit. GL
Thanks might tackle this this weekend. I removed my battery this week, hoping it will re-set the CD player and spew out my CD's. NOT. I did not even lose my radio settings, seat settings. What's up with that?

I thought after disconnecting the battery, you will have to re-set?

Maybe I should disconnect for at least 10 minutes?

I did it in probably 3 minutes, just enough for me to clean the terminal (the negative one) and grease it.

Any idea?
Old 03-08-24, 11:35 AM
garyinidaho
3rd Gear

Default Where did you get the disgram

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
It really does seem like it stuck.... but if you apply just the right pressure at the correct places it will pull straight back and out. Oh it's also help up to have a plastic removal tool to help you apply that pressure... Hopefully this diagram will give you the clues where it needs to be applied. In this case, diagram #2 shows the six pressure clip, which are, as you have found, pretty tight, so keep on applying outward pressure and it should pop loose..... Bone thrown! BTW welcome to the forum!.... if you haven't tried the Advanced search feature under Search in the menu bar, you can limit your searches to this sc430 forum and keyword.
  1. where did you get the diagram? Thanks
Old 03-08-24, 12:43 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by garyinidaho
  1. where did you get the diagram? Thanks
Sorry but Bob hasn’t been on here for almost four years.
I believe bob had an electronic version of the shop manuals.
you Could look on eBay for a SC430 shop manual on DVD
Old 03-08-24, 06:03 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

Here's a video we made of the cluster and climate overview. It also covers the clips and sockets for the climate control.

www.taninautoelectronix.com

Quick Reply: how to remove climate control device