SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2006 Rear Light Upgrade (United Kingdom)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-11, 10:45 AM
S1 Soarer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I 2nd that. For the price thats a great upgrade. Nice ride
Old 11-05-11, 10:51 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by tsachiti
So it turns out the unit was really just £103 the little reflector on the top was sold separately at a whopping £72.

See the invoice below.

I ordered specifically the lights for the 2008 model.

I didn't need to change the ecu as I used the existing light bulbs and everything works perfectly. No Extra bulbs required, no warning lights on dash as the current lights are the same ones on the unit.

I had to do a 6 minute mod to the connector but was minor. Please see images below.

Total install time for both lights from un-boxing to complete, 14 mins ( yes I timed it)

Looks great Will.
Can't figure how you have done this.
How do you use the existing bulbs when the new lights are supposed to be LED?

Best regards
Steve
Old 11-05-11, 11:03 AM
cyberlexus
Pole Position

14 minutes to install the lights? That must be a new record. The car looks much better with the new tails.
Old 11-05-11, 04:29 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by WIL44
Looks great Will.
Can't figure how you have done this.
How do you use the existing bulbs when the new lights are supposed to be LED?

Best regards
Steve
I have the same question. Don't they use LED bulb??
Old 11-05-11, 04:38 PM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

LEDS are only used in the red brake and tail lamps.....turn signal indicators are still incandescent bulbs....Some of us have gone to the Chrome coated amber bulb to avoid the egg yoke look for the clear turn indicator lens. I actually bought some AMBER LEDS for the turn indicator .... but was disappointed in the lumen output.... went with the Chome bulb. BTW that price is incredible and, of course, made me ill thinking of what we've paid here across the pond.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 11-05-11 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-05-11, 06:42 PM
tsachiti
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

The unit comes with an led light already in place as well as the cable sticking out ready to be plugged in. This is for the brake and tail lights.

The indicator light and cabling which fits on the original unit will fit right into the new one. I had got a pack of resistors incase i needed to create a custom power step down but it wanst needed. It was literally plug and play.

The led lights that were already in place for the brake lights had a slightly different connector which I bypassed in less that 3 mins and used the original wiring. I should have taken more pics but i assumed there are already hundreds of 2006+ light conversion mods and me posting a tutorial would add no new value.

Will44
The 2008 one is the one I got, don't know if its any different to the other 06+ units. Look at my receipt buy the same unit or part number and I can help you install. At that point can put instructions for all.

Aquanuke Thanks, will come show you this week.

cyberlexus There I was thinking 14 mins was long.

Everyone Thanks for the comments !
Old 11-05-11, 06:53 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
BTW that price is incredible and, of course, made me ill thinking of what we've paid here across the pond.
Don't feel too bad. That price was per light and he also had to buy reflectors. By the time you add everything up and convert it to dollars, it's about the same as they are with the discount from Sewell.
Old 11-06-11, 01:20 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by tsachiti
Hi Guys,

The unit comes with an led light already in place as well as the cable sticking out ready to be plugged in. This is for the brake and tail lights.

The indicator light and cabling which fits on the original unit will fit right into the new one. I had got a pack of resistors incase i needed to create a custom power step down but it wanst needed. It was literally plug and play.

The led lights that were already in place for the brake lights had a slightly different connector which I bypassed in less that 3 mins and used the original wiring. I should have taken more pics but i assumed there are already hundreds of 2006+ light conversion mods and me posting a tutorial would add no new value.

Will44
The 2008 one is the one I got, don't know if its any different to the other 06+ units. Look at my receipt buy the same unit or part number and I can help you install. At that point can put instructions for all.

Aquanuke Thanks, will come show you this week.

cyberlexus There I was thinking 14 mins was long.

Everyone Thanks for the comments !
Thanks Will I'll take your receipt with me when i get them and i will take up your offer to help install.
Every post on CL says you have to have the ECU to stop the warning lights coming on, on the dash and that is as expensive as the lights. I am sure the guys on CL will be able explain why you have not needed it. Is there something different between the 2008 lights and the 2006?

VVTiBob/Liquid. Adding all the parts together (excluding the ECU) plus VAT and converting to dollars totals $677, how does that compare with your side if the pond?
Old 11-06-11, 02:53 AM
Blast-off
Rookie

Good work guys..

Must add this to my list of things to do
Old 11-06-11, 03:16 AM
tsachiti
Driver

Originally Posted by WIL44

Adding all the parts together (excluding the ECU) plus VAT and converting to dollars totals $677, how does that compare with your side if the pond?
For us, no shipping cost as well so its a great saving !
Old 11-06-11, 07:57 AM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

VVTiBob/Liquid. Adding all the parts together (excluding the ECU) plus VAT and converting to dollars totals $677, how does that compare with your side if the pond?
Well now I don't feel as bad...CL vendor Sewell Parts Online offers the upgrade kit without the ECU for a "ClubLexus Price: $562.92" and "$1036.87" with the ECU
Old 11-08-11, 12:30 PM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Every post on CL says you have to have the ECU to stop the warning lights coming on, on the dash and that is as expensive as the lights. I am sure the guys on CL will be able explain why you have not needed it. Is there something different between the 2008 lights and the 2006?

I'm still in need of why he didn't need to worry about the taillight warning light issue? Is it because he retained the existing wiring and that was enough not throw the warning? We need to research this further and a picture of the way you bypassed the connector would be very helpful!

Thanks!
Old 11-08-11, 12:57 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PLAYTYM

I'm still in need of why he didn't need to worry about the taillight warning light issue? Is it because he retained the existing wiring and that was enough not throw the warning? We need to research this further and a picture of the way you bypassed the connector would be very helpful!

Thanks!
It's because he's using the old bulb, which is not LED. He doesn't get a warning light, but the tradeoff is his lights have a yellowish glow. LEDs are more of a bluish white.
Old 11-08-11, 03:59 PM
mdfd430
Driver School Candidate

looks great!
Old 11-09-11, 05:07 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
It's because he's using the old bulb, which is not LED. He doesn't get a warning light, but the tradeoff is his lights have a yellowish glow. LEDs are more of a bluish white.
Just so I'm clear his solution is not a "TRUE" LED solution!

Quick Reply: 2006 Rear Light Upgrade (United Kingdom)