SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Electrical Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-11, 10:20 AM
lindaz1150
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problems?

Hello everyone! New to forum. We have a 2003 Lexus SC430 with very low mileage and love it!! We're in the middle of a move out of state and left the car sitting for about 6 weeks. Battery was dead when we tried to start it. After a jump, many things are not working...door locks, gas tank opener, trunk release, etc. Going to the Lexus dealer in a few days but wondered if anyone else has had this happen and if there is an easy fix? Thanks!!!
Old 11-07-11, 10:43 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to the forum lindaz.

Make sure that your battery is charged before jumping to conclusions. Your problem is an unusual one. There are some features that once their programming is lost, need to be recalibrated, like the automatic seat positioning, but I wouldn't expect it to affect the items that you mentioned, unless there is a blown fuse.
Old 11-07-11, 11:14 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Based on the description, your battery is on its way out.

However since we do not know the background of your car, the alternator charging must be checked, too.

Welcome to CL.
Old 11-07-11, 03:56 PM
mdfd430
Driver School Candidate

my guess is that the battery is culprit. Make sure the battery is put on a trickle charger overnight. Sometimes if the battery is old or has been discharged too much for an extended period of time, it may not be able to take a charge. In this case, you will need a new battery.
Old 11-07-11, 08:29 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

A friend with a 2003 SC430 had issues very similar to this over the last two days. We towed his car to a dealer, thinking it was the alternator and in his case that did turn out to be the culprit. His battery is only a year old, so we didn't think that was the issue before taking it in.

There was some mention of the water pump as well but I haven't seen the estimate yet, which left me scratching my head. My understanding was that the power steering pump was the only other thing that could (rarely) affect 1/3UZ-FE alternators.

Funny thing, this was Carson and the quote on the alternator part was $550 but on their internet sales department lists the same 150-amp alternator for roughly $390.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-07-11 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-07-11, 09:16 PM
lindaz1150
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to everyone for your help. We will start with a new battery and move on if that doesn't solve the problem. Really appreciate you all taking the time to respond!!
Old 11-08-11, 06:31 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

It's weird that some things are working and not others. It's not like the gas tank opener (for example) is a big electrical draw. So if everything else is getting 12v and you have enough amps to start the car, why are these small items not working? My guess is that you blew fuses during the jump process.
Old 11-08-11, 07:30 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Agree on potential blown fuse/s on jump process, could be a root cause.
Old 11-08-11, 07:46 AM
mdfd430
Driver School Candidate

true, blown fuses and battery capacity are easy enough to check...
Old 08-09-20, 05:10 PM
jparrish
Driver School Candidate

Iv'e got same problem.let me know the fix.
Old 08-09-20, 07:30 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Your problem is electrical disconnection due to flooded. The OP might have same problem, might not.
Old 08-12-20, 02:45 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
It's weird that some things are working and not others. It's not like the gas tank opener (for example) is a big electrical draw. So if everything else is getting 12v and you have enough amps to start the car, why are these small items not working? My guess is that you blew fuses during the jump process.
Some modules/circuits are more susceptible to voltage issues than others. It's not uncommon these days for a compromised battery to cause issues in some circuits and not others. Electronics are funny that way!
Old 07-05-23, 06:29 AM
LEXLOOTER5
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2003 sc430: viper smart start was installed by a certified installer - they had to keep on jumping the car battery while they were installing and had to charge it overnight to finish it. I had them retrace all their work 2-3 times, they said no fuse blown and no wrong with install. I had the Lexus dealer diagnose it 3 x ($199 each) and they don't literally have any idea wats wrong
(I have to come up with ideas JEEEEEZ!!!) SEE BELOW

after install these were the problems INDIVIDUAL COMPONENTS

1.aircon blows warm..there's an "E" message at zircon controls area. ------------------------------------------------ AMBIENT TEMP SWITCH part $16.31 labor $179
2. pwr ect snow and the vsc button don't work - if u press snow it will push up back to off position. ---------- SWITCH parts $156.41 & $186.35. labor 1/2 hr to 1 hour(@$199/hr)
3.both memory seat buttons won't work. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- memo buttons $188 each $99 each
4.engine temperature needle won't work- stays on zero degrees. ---------------------------------------------------- engine temp. sensor $106 ???
5.there is this small square amber light very near to gas indicator gauge. ------------------------------------------ my mechanic says its the security for key fob
dealer says down gas tank $597
6.PRND lights at the instrument cluster(up) is not lighting up. ---------------------------------------------------------- bulb $6.80 $79.60
7.cruise control not working --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- GOOD LUCK
8.rear view mirror dimmer button/light not working. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- WHOLE MIRROR. $1,700(to be re verified of what I heard from dealer coz I was already in shock at this time)

whole inst cluster $1,200(to be verified)

TODAY 7/5/23 I WILL HAVE MY CERTIFIED MECHANIC FRIEND DIAGNOSE IT AND CHECK ALL FUSES AGAIN
TOMORROW DEALER WILL DX IT again WITH THE IDEA OF POWER SURGE FRYING ELECTRONICS. I ASKED THEM IF I DONT HAVE TO PAY SINCE I ALREADY PAID $597 FOR DIAGNOSING IT-- good luck

ANYONE> IDEAS? H E L P

Disclaimers: ITS MY OWN OPINION AND MADE UP NUMBERS

Last edited by LEXLOOTER5; 07-05-23 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-05-23, 10:17 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXLOOTER5
I have 2003 sc430: viper smart start was installed by a certified installer - they had to keep on jumping the car battery while they were installing and had to charge it overnight to finish it.
Since "viper smart start" started all this, aren't they responsible for fixing it? My guess is their work caused an inadvertent failure of one of your electronic control modules. Do you have the electrical schematics for your vehicle that would help pinpoint which one? Once identified, you can get a used replacement module to swap and see if it solves your problem.
Old 07-05-23, 10:24 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 489 Likes on 409 Posts

This is just a guess and I need other's to chime in.

In a computer network if you have something with a conflicting IP it will drowned out the other item with the same IP. Could they have connected the Viper system to a cann line and it is blocking signals from certain electronics? Could it be throwing garbage on the line?

I would pull the fuses for the Viper system and see if it gets better

Quick Reply: Electrical Problems?