SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Scary Ride

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-11 | 09:54 PM
lexuz125th
Driver

Default Scary Ride

Hey guys i know this is probably a repeat question but i really need direct input on this. I have owned this car for almost 4 years, and yea the suspension has been funky bouncing all around. Its not really a harsh ride, its more like if you are on a boat and you feel like youre loosing balance. It has become so scary to drive this thing that i feel like its going to loose control, not hitting any bumps the car just wabbles around. Please guys help me out with this i love this car a lot and i want to be able to enjoy it when i drive it. thanks
Old 11-10-11 | 10:22 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Change to coilovers or firmer springs. I feel the same way with my 2002. Switching to lighter wheels help somewhat, but the stock suspension coupled with the 40-series tires is the culprit.
Old 11-11-11 | 08:15 AM
KBALL
Pole Position

Have you checked the tire pressure? If it's too high, rougher ride and harder to control. I'm amazed at what 2psi difference can make...especially if you got runflats.
Old 11-11-11 | 08:26 AM
Yes

it could be that your tires are old and/or worn out. even if you still have decent tread on them, tires will harden over time giving you a harsher, less controlled ride. a new set of non-runflat tires might be what you need.
Old 11-11-11 | 08:43 AM
irokdastar
Pole Position

i dont think its the tires. if it was he will be getting a harsh ride. but the face that he is wabbeling like a boat when he hits a pot hole . i will say suspention. if its an 02 on original suspension i would say thats the culprit. like evryone said do coil overs.
Old 11-11-11 | 08:55 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

His description sounds just like my SC before I replaced the runflats. If you haven't done that, I would start with it especially if you have some miles on them.
Old 11-11-11 | 10:47 AM
mandyfig

Try to put your tire pressure to 28 psi and try it.
Old 11-11-11 | 11:12 AM
lexuz125th
Driver

Thank you all for replying back. I changed the runflats as soon as I bought the car, ride was a lil better but still a disaster. I think I am going to lower the psi today see how that goes and then probably change the suspension. Any sugesstions regarding what brand to get
Old 11-11-11 | 12:30 PM
grabber2
Racer

I have the same problem before I put new wheel/tire. BTW, runfalt was the worse

I believe the OEM wheel/tire setup sits too deep into the car. With new wheel pushing it outter; FRONT: 20mm & REAR: 35mm than OEM, I immediately feel the improvement. Even without Coilover, my SC is running pretty stable now in NYC road. Of course, coilover will bring to antother level of stability. Options are : Megan EZ or LP, BC racing, or Tein.

Not sure if you live in NYC, but my SC with 85K & OEM Suspenion was quite stable.

Last edited by grabber2; 11-11-11 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-11-11 | 04:29 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Is the "boat" ride only when the the top is down? I had the same problem, but fixed it with coilovers, however, it is still a small problem when the top is down. When the top is up, there is no problem. This car has a lot of body flex with the top down.
Old 11-11-11 | 07:14 PM
lexuz125th
Driver

Its during top down or up. what kind of coilcovers do you have? whats the best place to buy them from, and is it difficult adjusting them.
Old 11-12-11 | 06:23 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexuz125th
Its during top down or up. what kind of coilcovers do you have? whats the best place to buy them from, and is it difficult adjusting them.
I used the Megan EZ's. Do a search as there are several threads that document the installation. I did one and Wil44 did another. See https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-pictures.html. I bought from another CL member. Adjusting is easy as long as you drill a hole in the trunk garnish so you have access to the rear adjustment screw.
Old 11-13-11 | 03:25 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexuz125th
Hey guys i know this is probably a repeat question but i really need direct input on this. I have owned this car for almost 4 years, and yea the suspension has been funky bouncing all around. Its not really a harsh ride, its more like if you are on a boat and you feel like youre loosing balance. It has become so scary to drive this thing that i feel like its going to loose control, not hitting any bumps the car just wabbles around. Please guys help me out with this i love this car a lot and i want to be able to enjoy it when i drive it. thanks
"scary" for the past 4 years?

If that is not an exageration, then either a: you drive it like Mario Andretti on a race track, or b: there is something defective with your car.

Either way, to get a firmer ride, get some coilovers with a higher spring rate than what comes stock (I think the 02-05 was 6kg/mm rear and 7kg/mm front - i may be a little off). I got Zeal coilovers at 10/mm rear and 12kg/mm front but they come stock at 8/10 (i think, can't quite remember. i can go check if you need the exact specs). I wish I went a little stiffer.
Old 11-14-11 | 11:20 AM
irokdastar
Pole Position

did you try taking your car to the mechanic? have him lift it and check all the joints. also check the sway bar bushings and ball joints.check for leaks . even if your stock your shouldnt have an unstable ride. also when the top is down you shouldnt feel a diffrence. lift the car and check the body braces underneath. they car be rotted . if you can take pictures that will work.When was the last time you balanced your wheels and tires?
Old 11-14-11 | 02:23 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by irokdastar
also when the top is down you shouldn't feel a difference.
I wish this was true for me. I've had the car to the dealer and they say nothing is wrong, however, when the top is down at high speeds (>55 mph) the car definitely has a larger amount of body flex than when the top is up. There are other threads on CL that also describe this issue, so it's not just my car. But I can say it is much improved with the coilovers.

Quick Reply: Scary Ride