SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Group 48 Battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-11, 12:08 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts
Default SC430 Group 48 Battery

Battery died yesterday.

Couple of days ago I noticed the cranking was not up to snuff. Barely turning over.

So I used the battery tender and sure enough the next day it got better. Used the SC and no issue. The following day, click-click.

So I used a fast charge option full 10 amps. Measured the voltage after charging: 12.8 V. Measured the charging voltage while running: 14.4 V. Looks good.

So I thought I was out of the woods and the battery was on its way to recovery.

NOPE! Brought the SC to the Church today (after overnight charging) and it cranked OK. Went to the grocery and it went click-click.

Had the daughter come for a jump (and I had the cables in the trunk).

My battery was probably border line and when the car went to the shop for the repair for 30 days, it went downhill, they should have put the battery on a trickle charger.

This was the original battery it looks like, so it has lasted 7+ years. Well time to let it go. I bought the SC almost a year ago.

So now in the search for a replacement battery, Group 48 Size 12" x 6 7/8" x 7 9/16"

Advance Auto has it for $124 (it was just $100 early this year) Duralast Gold 36 months/84 prorated, made by Johnson Controls.

Costco, do not know if they carry 48. Kirkland is the same, made by Johnson Controls and is equal to the Duralast Gold, same warranty

Any other choices or suggestions?
Old 11-20-11, 02:15 PM
VVTiBob

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Not sure on choice, but which ever one you chose MUST have the negative pole on the side closest to the fender and closest to the front end. (the front left corner if you're facing the battery.) When mine died last year, I went with an Interstate.
Old 11-20-11, 04:21 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with Interstate as well when the original battery was on its way out. The Interstate is 965 Amps, 770 CCA with a 85 month pro-rated warranty model #MTP-48/H6 Mega-Tron Plus. If I recall about 125 installed. GL
Old 11-20-11, 04:24 PM
OBP
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Hey Mandy, changed my battery a year and a half ago because it was getting weak. I got an Interstate battery. There were two Interstate battery models which fit our cars and I got the more powerful one. The exact model numbers of the batteries are somewhere in this forum so do a search. I think I might have paid about $125. Only thing I had to do after the battery change was to reset my seat memory - I had to retrain the seat memory - it is all in the manual.
Old 11-20-11, 07:10 PM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

The Lexus Parts dept told me the OEM battery is Interstate as well. Not sure on the CCA versus the one discussed above, but I got mine for $99 at Park Place.
Old 11-21-11, 05:22 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
The Lexus Parts dept told me the OEM battery is Interstate as well. Not sure on the CCA versus the one discussed above, but I got mine for $99 at Park Place.
Japanese manufactured models use Panasonic as far as I am aware.

Regardless, that is a pretty good price!
Old 11-21-11, 07:55 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

too bad your not in Tampa I pulled the OEM panasonic battery from Japan from my is250 out and put a yellow top in there when i upgraded the system thing is a beast, id let it for for like 40 bucks dealer dosent even replace with these because they are so expensive to bring in. Looks cool to boot. I would recommend a yellow top if you let the car sit for awhile. If not Duralast is pretty good.
Old 11-21-11, 08:19 AM
mandyfig

Thanks guys. I have done a lot of research.

Group 48 fits like OEM but have come across 97R as an alternate.

They range from $120~$150.

scdrotop, how did you manage to spend $99 installed? Great deal. then again you donate to the Lexus dealer quite a lot.

Thanks again.
Old 11-21-11, 08:56 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Probably heresy to put Wal-mart battery in a Lexus but I have had very good luck with Wal-mart Evermaxx battery - about $80 installed with a 3 year full replacement warranty. Here in the DFW area the batteries available are sourced from Johnson Controls.
Old 11-21-11, 12:47 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Probably heresy to put Wal-mart battery in a Lexus but I have had very good luck with Wal-mart Evermaxx battery - about $80 installed with a 3 year full replacement warranty. Here in the DFW area the batteries available are sourced from Johnson Controls.
Jabberock, I have been researching the batteries that fit our SC. And one of them is either the Everstart Maxx 48N or the H6. What did you install in your SC?

And these batteries are equal to the Kirkland made by JCI.

Absolutely not an issue buying a Walmart battery for me.

My frustration was that the 48 size batteries are nowhere to be found in the local BM auto auto stores around me. Costco has stopped supplying them, too. This 48-H6 batteries are mainly for premium cars, based on the search that I have done. There are not much stock around.

So I am headed to wallyworld to check it out.
Old 11-21-11, 01:09 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Jabberock, I have been researching the batteries that fit our SC. And one of them is either the Everstart Maxx 48N or the H6. What did you install in your SC?

And these batteries are equal to the Kirkland made by JCI.

Absolutely not an issue buying a Walmart battery for me.

My frustration was that the 48 size batteries are nowhere to be found in the local BM auto auto stores around me. Costco has stopped supplying them, too. This 48-H6 batteries are mainly for premium cars, based on the search that I have done. There are not much stock around.

So I am headed to wallyworld to check it out.
Haven't put one in an SC - I read this forum because I plan on buying an SC in the next few months. do have an LS but it is still on its original battery. But I have used the EverMaxx batteries successfully in Toyota Highlander, 4Runner, and in Acura RL. When the OEM battery on my LS gives up the ghost, I will almost certainly put a Group 24F-S EverMaxx in it.
Old 11-21-11, 05:27 PM
deathstar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the Advance Auto Autocraft Gold online and use code ES123 for $30 off, pickup in store and they install for free
Old 11-21-11, 06:20 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

ha speaking of which my battery died a couple days ago. i got a AC Delco battery which is what Lexus is offerering as an alternative for a aftermarket battery they stand by. $130 for Lexus or $86 bucks for aftermarket? A battery is a battery. lets see how well it works out for me.
Old 11-22-11, 09:00 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by deathstar
Get the Advance Auto Autocraft Gold online and use code ES123 for $30 off, pickup in store and they install for free
Thanks, already had my eye on this. Except that there's no 48 Battery in sight. Hence can not order online and get the discount. Sucks! Will have to wait until they get supply.
Old 11-22-11, 09:05 AM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Thanks guys. I have done a lot of research.

Group 48 fits like OEM but have come across 97R as an alternate.

They range from $120~$150.

scdrotop, how did you manage to spend $99 installed? Great deal. then again you donate to the Lexus dealer quite a lot.

Thanks again.
It's been about six months since I got mine...perhaps I bought a demo or floor model, lol? I can't remember how I managed that deal, but it IS oem, fits perfectly and I was told that it is made by Interstate. I see it now on ParkPlace's website for $162 onsale down from $212.

Perhaps with our CL discount, Sewell will beat?

http://www.parkplacelexusparts.com/p...layCatalogid=0

Quick Reply: SC430 Group 48 Battery