Print Wikipost

Wheel spacers - safe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-11, 06:39 AM
AusTexLex
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel spacers - safe?

I've heard some horror stories about wheel spacers, wondering what the forum members experience has been. I'm considering 20mm on the front and 30mm on the back. Thanks!
Old 11-21-11, 09:24 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had 25mm spacers on the rear (Mandyfig I'll get around to the front someday) for at least a year or more and I would say 7k miles or more. Knock on wood, I haven't had any problems. I have the ones that the studs are already in the spacer. You have to have a relief on the inside of the wheel for them to work. At 20mm & 30mm I'm not a big fan of the ones with the extended studs. I don't even know if they make them w/30mm. When I get around to it, I'm moving the 25mm to the front and going to get 30mm or 35mm for the rear. Make sure the are wheel concentric you'll need the center at 60.1 (I think), don't buy any unless they are. Mandyfig has them all the way around, or at least he did.
Old 11-21-11, 09:50 AM
bacardi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spacers

i use 19mm on all 4 wheels.
Old 11-21-11, 10:19 AM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Alot of debate and threads on this issue. I am running Ichiba 20mmF / 30mmR and so far (knock on wood) no vibrations and no problems. A few things to remember....make sure they are hubcentric. Also this is not a part you can install and forget about. You constantly have to inspect the spacers for wear. Check and re-check the torque frequently. Bottom line is it's your car and your decision to run them. Or you can go with the right offset quality wheel and be done with it. See this thread on the IS forum and you may never want spacers https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...2-spacers.html
Old 11-21-11, 12:48 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Do a search and there's a few on spacers on the SC's. I am riding on 25/35.
Old 11-21-11, 06:02 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is an often debated topic. I thought about the spacers and decided against them. Instead, I got new wheels with better offset. It is a risk I don't want to take.
Old 11-21-11, 08:59 PM
AusTexLex
Rookie

I don't really want spacers either, but I like the Pebble Beach wheels on my PB SC430. But not liking the stance with the stock tires. Guess I could just get fatter tires? I still have the run flats on the car, they are almost new and it breaks my heart (and wallet) to just throw them away.
Old 11-21-11, 09:01 PM
AusTexLex
Rookie

Originally Posted by A1Lexis
Alot of debate and threads on this issue. I am running Ichiba 20mmF / 30mmR and so far (knock on wood) no vibrations and no problems. A few things to remember....make sure they are hubcentric. Also this is not a part you can install and forget about. You constantly have to inspect the spacers for wear. Check and re-check the torque frequently. Bottom line is it's your car and your decision to run them. Or you can go with the right offset quality wheel and be done with it. See this thread on the IS forum and you may never want spacers https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...2-spacers.html
The Ichiba spacers are the ones I've been considering, with the same setup you describe.
Old 11-22-11, 09:10 AM
cyberlexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AusTexLex
I don't really want spacers either, but I like the Pebble Beach wheels on my PB SC430. But not liking the stance with the stock tires. Guess I could just get fatter tires? I still have the run flats on the car, they are almost new and it breaks my heart (and wallet) to just throw them away.
Get staggered wheels with the right offsets and wider tires, you will love the the stance
Old 11-22-11, 11:02 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Mechanically with the right quality hardware and right torque, spacers are not a safety issue. Vibration will not be an issue likewise.

It is suggested that the wheels/spacers are inspected and re-torqued periodically, every oil change perhaps. Or else when you rotate tires every 5,000 miles.

And if you have been in rough roads, rought potholes, time to check it.

I do not endorse it, but if you decide to have them, less is better (not more than 35 mm) and proper steps and quality spacers are suggested. Ichiba is good.
Old 11-22-11, 12:24 PM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a fair few 4x4 manufacture's use spacers for their wheels to fit over their brakes and sealed hubs.

don't buy cheap one's, torqued properly no probs.

the problem is that the cheap one's are not machined properly and move around on the studs which make the wheel out of balance and snap off.

$$$$ how much is your life worth $$$$
Old 11-24-11, 09:13 AM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I can only speak about spacers I used in my old 1998 740iL BMW. It created the look I wanted, had them on for six years and never had a problem with the actual spacer or any vibrations. Now for the SC430 I have currently, I bought aftermarket wheels with the correct offset to give me the stance I was looking for.
Old 11-27-11, 12:35 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

I wanted them too, but I live at Discount tire with air check free rotate, balance, etc on my SC and they said that they absolutely will flat out not service my tires/wheels with spacers on it for "safety concerns". Otherwise, I'd have them on today! I could use about another 1.5 inch in the front and 1" in the rear on my set up and I'd be happy. Plus I already wobble, so perhaps if I ADDED spacers, two negatives make a positive in that department? Maybe I would NOT wobble then? LOL

I've never heard of spacers causing wheels to fall off or anything like our fellow CL member's IS near catastrophic failure. My guess is like with everything else- quality of installation and parts used is EVERYTHING! Ichiba seem to be the CL favorite for our cars and lots of them on eBay. I guess I could try them and always take them off if I don't like??
Old 11-28-11, 07:04 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Akata Wheel Spacers

- Hub Centric
- High Grade Aluminum
- Multiple applications available for all makes!