PPE Headers INSTALLED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-11, 02:57 AM
I-FORCE
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PPE Headers INSTALLED!!!

Hey guys,

Haven't been very active on CL lately. Recently purchased a mint 94 MKIV Supra TT and have been working on that..

Got a chance to install a set of PPE Headers on my 2010 SC430 and let me tell you... WOW!

Installation was very involving, i sent it off to a shop to do the install because it certainly exceeds my technical expertise .

Parts removed to access the manifold;
- Entire Cross-member.
- Power-steering Pump.
- AC Compressor.
- Steering shaft.
- Front Tie Rods.

Took a good 9-hours to install and a good $600 (including alignment).

Performance gain was INSANE! Totally not what i expected. My car is bone stock apart from the PPE headers and a cancelled third cat. The SC burns out most of first gear on WOT from a standstill and pulls ALOT harder. Gain is mostly felt in mid-range RPMs.

The exhaust note became a little deeper but its still pretty quiet.

Fit and finish on those headers are amongst the best out there. I have not dealt with SS headers to compare but they are on par with the Doug Thorley Longtubes on my Tundra and the DT's are awesome.

The only set i have seen which are of higher quality are Fast Intentions for the 370Z Nissan. Having said that, the PPEs are just excellent. I am thoroughly impressed with this product. Certainly worth every penny and they fit the SC430 perfectly.

I'll leave you with the Pics.. I've also put a pic of my Supra; its bone stock for now apart from Volk GT-Cs. Factory wingless auto, clean title, factory paint, w/66K original miles. Bunch of mods on the way, 6-spd conversion is a first

Enjoy,
Moe
Attached Thumbnails PPE Headers INSTALLED!!!-img-20111123-01782.jpg   PPE Headers INSTALLED!!!-img-20111124-01787.jpg   PPE Headers INSTALLED!!!-img-20111124-01786.jpg   PPE Headers INSTALLED!!!-img-20111122-00165.jpg   PPE Headers INSTALLED!!!-img-20111122-00166.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
joemg (04-02-24)
Old 11-27-11, 08:27 AM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Very nice!!! Will you add the injen or blitz intake?

Love the Supra! I had a couple of Mark IVs....93 Turbo Auto and a 97 anniversary targa 6speed. Loved them both...wish I would have had a Targa Turbo six speed with the features of a 97 with the refresh! Lots of parts and mods available out there for it. I owned stock in Greddy for about 3-4 years, LOL. Before the days of eBay...wish I would have kept one of the Supras along with one of my 5 rx-7's or 3 Z's I had lol. Oh well. I couldn't afford to mod and keep as a daily driver back in the late 90's so I traded for a SC400 and then a SC300 stock.

Are the Volks 18? Looks like she's sitting pretty high...

IMO the chrome turbo wheels from a 97 and OEM stance looks sweet!!! Also can go with a 95+ SC chrome rim (no staggered though) if you want an OEM look. Lots of them out there on eBay.
Old 11-27-11, 01:50 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to get them. Car needs more umphh for a v8
Old 11-28-11, 11:57 AM
I-FORCE
Driver

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Very nice!!! Will you add the injen or blitz intake?

Love the Supra! I had a couple of Mark IVs....93 Turbo Auto and a 97 anniversary targa 6speed. Loved them both...wish I would have had a Targa Turbo six speed with the features of a 97 with the refresh! Lots of parts and mods available out there for it. I owned stock in Greddy for about 3-4 years, LOL. Before the days of eBay...wish I would have kept one of the Supras along with one of my 5 rx-7's or 3 Z's I had lol. Oh well. I couldn't afford to mod and keep as a daily driver back in the late 90's so I traded for a SC400 and then a SC300 stock.

Are the Volks 18? Looks like she's sitting pretty high...

IMO the chrome turbo wheels from a 97 and OEM stance looks sweet!!! Also can go with a 95+ SC chrome rim (no staggered though) if you want an OEM look. Lots of them out there on eBay.
Yeah i'm gonna be going with the Injen ASAP but no exhaust plans for now.. I am satisfied with the power and i'm sure the injen will add to that too. I wanna keep it as quiet as possible because my old man drives it sometimes and he hates exhaust notes period.

How come you sold all Supras? Rarely do you hear a Supra owner wanting to sell his. My dream Supra is a 98 RSP 6-SPD Hardtop but i dont think that even exists.. Targa's good enought but i have the complete convertible SC so its not required.

Wheel are Volks indeed, 18" GT-Cs 8 front and 9.5 rear wrapped with new NT05 rubber (245-40/18 - 285-35/18) Awesome tires. The car does sit quite high as its still on factory suspension. Just got a complete kit of polyurethane bushings and am still debating which CO to go with. between megan and BCRacing.. Also need a set for the SC ASAP because that car needs major suspension work

This is my first Supra and i love it to bits, loads of mod options, not too good for the bank account haha

Last edited by I-FORCE; 11-28-11 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-13-11, 05:58 AM
I-FORCE
Driver

Having broken in the headers slightly.. performance has been improving even further BUT... Valve sound is also starting to increase from the motor; My car had 7k miles when i installed the headers and i did not change gaskets which was a stupid move on my part.. I'm really hoping i don have a leak.. any ideas?

Moe
Old 02-20-12, 03:39 AM
I-FORCE
Driver

Question for members running PPE Headers on their SC.

The Valve ticking sound is increasing majorly especially on cold days, is this normal or could i have a leak? I know that the sound increases over stock with any aftermarket headers but this is not sounding right anymore.

Any input would help.

Thanks

Moe
Old 02-20-12, 08:22 PM
Swishh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Moe. Nice looking headers! Unfortunately I think the "valve ticking" noise is common. I had PPE's on my SC430 for about a year before the noise finally drove me nuts enough to return to stock. I was going crazy looking for leaks and cracks and never found anything. In all of the cars I have owned and put SS headers on I have come accross a certain amount of that ticking noise. If you heat wrap the headers that might help get rid of some of the noise. Good luck!
Old 02-21-12, 02:25 AM
I-FORCE
Driver

Originally Posted by Swishh
Hi Moe. Nice looking headers! Unfortunately I think the "valve ticking" noise is common. I had PPE's on my SC430 for about a year before the noise finally drove me nuts enough to return to stock. I was going crazy looking for leaks and cracks and never found anything. In all of the cars I have owned and put SS headers on I have come accross a certain amount of that ticking noise. If you heat wrap the headers that might help get rid of some of the noise. Good luck!
Thank you for the confirmation.

When i installed my set i did not replace the gaskets because the car had around 6K miles, i thought they would still work. I think i might try ripping through the suspension again and replacing the manifold gaskets, might try heat wrapping the manifolds while im at it to see.

Issue is the SC is soo quite that the tiniest sound is annoying especially with the stock exhaust and intake. I want to keep returning to stock as my very last resort because it has given me quite a decent bump in power (much needed on the SC).
Old 02-22-12, 10:50 PM
Swishh
Driver School Candidate

I know how you feel! It was hard for me to let go of the added performance of the headers once they were installed. The noise just got too annoying for me. I did the same as you are going to do and replaced the gaskets thinking that it might help in the event that I had a leak. All I ended up with was cut knuckles and disapointment because the noise was still there Over the years I vowed to never again change headers or get a lightened flywheel in my cars because the noise over time gets on my nerves. I never did try the heat wrap on the headers though... it may work! Give it a try.
Old 03-06-12, 08:29 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How loud is the ticking? Can you hear it with the stereo on at a moderate volume?
Old 03-06-12, 08:34 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

anyone though about having the valve's adjusted......before ripping off some headers? valve tap was common in the honda crowd years ago and we just adjusted our valves back to factory spec to reduce the noise
Old 03-08-12, 02:39 AM
I-FORCE
Driver

LIQUID:- No; with the stereo on at moderate volume it quietens down.

SAKATAJ:- My SC has around 9K miles on it and is a 2010.. Highly doubt valves need adjusting already.

Moe
Old 04-02-24, 08:53 AM
ClarkKent430
1st Gear

Default Bolt kit 2006 SC430 PPE ceramic coated shorty headers

What kit will fit my car ?
Old 04-04-24, 11:57 AM
Neil E
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

I've been running PPE headers for ages and thousands of miles without any issues at all. They do have heat-wrap, third cat delete, no ticking, no leaks and even with the centre resonators removed, it's really not that loud.
Old 04-07-24, 12:34 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 381 Posts

Can anyone explain the valve noise increasing with headers? I'd be more likely to believe the noise is coming from an exhaust leak. Aren't new gaskets mandatory for any exhaust header assembling?

Quick Reply: PPE Headers INSTALLED!!!