SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

My horrible story

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-11, 11:55 PM
jbar5563
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool My horrible story

I think i am one of the many earlier sc 430 model owners that have been a victim of the dysfunctional amp.
My cars stereo system was messed up when i bought it used but i just thought it were the blown after market 6x9's in the front doors.
After replacing them with mls i noticed that when i went over bumps in the road that they would cut in and out and left to right. Then one day i had no sound, I reset the battery still nothing , yes its the amp after reading all these threads it must be right??? Well i thought i could bypass it with an aftermarket amp , i did and i found that my stock radio runs digitally off the mark levenson amp that was taken out when i had the aftermarket one put in. So no volume control what so ever but the functions work fine .
Now my navigation doesn't work cause that runs off the stock amp as well. So now i have to get a new amp and im hoping everything will go back to normal.Dealer wanted 1700 So i bought one off ebay for 300 , after i bought it the seller told me it came from a wrecked sc430 that was hit in the front so he didnt have time to test it !!!!!!!!!!!!!ahhhhh bull crap , not to mention i have to drive to florida in 5 days and to top it all off i found my tire to be flat after work. Brand new summotumo tires no puncture nothing could be a bead leak cause its about 30 outside tonight. Please everyone wish me luck with the new amp i hope it works!!! i cant drive 14 hours and listen to my mind!!!!!!! Cause i will loss it. Anyone out there experience the amp issue????
Old 12-19-11, 12:38 AM
ser67
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same here in the UK from an '02 SC430.

Mine went crazy, refused to switch off - the boot/trunk felt like an oven even though I had no keys in- and drained the battery

Dealer wanted £1700 (which is a lot more than $1700) for a new one.

I tried an electronics repairer - but they bottled out.

So went to eBay and purchased one from the US for £350

Installed it easily and not had a problem since.

Difficult to spot long term electronics problems, not sure if anyone remembers problems with Audi stereos from the late 90's when you could only turn the volume up/down so many times before the electronics was 'full' and you needed to reset/replace.

The 'so many times' was a big number but do a lot of driving over a few years and you will exceed it - classic design fault engineered in...
Old 12-19-11, 10:09 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

About 10 years ago, I drove cross country in a Jeep. The radio crapped out halfway. So I bought a boombox and blasted that the rest of the way. I'd try that if you don't get your stereo working in time.