SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Setting to Turn Off Headlights Immediately After Ignition Turned Off

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-11, 06:03 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Exclamation Setting to Turn Off Headlights Immediately After Ignition Turned Off

I have been reviewing the threads on dealer programmable settings, and it is not clear to me if when the headlights are on AUTO the dealer can set the headlights to turn off immediately as soon as the ignition is turned off.

My headlights are currently set to turn off after a while (30 seconds?) or after the car is locked, whichever comes first. I'm concerned this delay would drain the battery and would want the headlights to turn off immediately when I turn the ignition off.

I have looked in this "C-BEST" document, but it is not entirely clear to me. Can anyone please confirm this.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mai...d-2002-sc.html

Thanks!
Old 12-19-11, 06:28 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 159 Posts

I don't think it harms the battery. I had a 2000 ES for 9 years and always used auto and the original battery lasted 7 years. My 2000 RX I do the same. I have a 2006 SC and I use the auto feature all the time and I am on the original battery. I would not worry about draining the battery.
Old 12-19-11, 06:31 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Thanks for the input, but I think I would still want to change this setting. There's really little reason to keep the lights on after I take the key out.

If anyone knows if this can be done please let me know, thanks.
Old 12-19-11, 07:20 AM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

You'll want to have it changed to "off". There are four settings: "off 30/60/90" representing the number of seconds of delay or the lights remain on after turning off the ignition. Setting it to off will turn the lights off immediately. Only can be done by the dealer or someone who has a Lexus Scantool.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 12-19-11 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-19-11, 08:48 AM
KBALL
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm probably in the small minority, perhaps only myself, but i've never chosen the auto lights feature and have had them on my cars for 25 years. Always click them on and off. Old school i 'spose
Old 12-19-11, 11:21 AM
jasone36
Instructor

If I get the dealer to set the delay to "0" (as VVtiBob pointed out), how will the lights behave when I leave the light switch in the "ON" position (rather than "AUTO") all the time?

Will the lights immediately turn off when I take the key out of the ignition also?

This is now the crucial question, if anyone knows please chime in. Thank you.
Old 12-20-11, 07:11 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jasone36
If I get the dealer to set the delay to "0" (as VVtiBob pointed out), how will the lights behave when I leave the light switch in the "ON" position (rather than "AUTO") all the time?

Will the lights immediately turn off when I take the key out of the ignition also?

This is now the crucial question, if anyone knows please chime in. Thank you.

Not to nit-pick, but the headlights will never turn off immediately when you take the key out of the ignition. The "lights off" trigger is the door opening after the ignition is in the OFF position. You can leave the key in if you wanted. And yes, the behavior is the same regardless whether you have the switch in the AUTO or ON position.
Old 12-20-11, 11:28 AM
toxic
Driver

If I want the lights off immediately, a second tap on the door lock button on the key fob turns them off. That overides the delay.

Why is it if I leave my headlights in the on position, they will automatically shut off but if I leave the trunk unlatched (or not completely closed) , I get a dead battery. Both my Equinox and chevy truck will turn off any light left on for an extended period of time.......just venting!!

TOXIC
Old 12-20-11, 06:07 PM
jasone36
Instructor

JohnnyCake, the information you posted is exactly the information I was looking for.

This means that I can always leave the switch in the "ON" position and have the lights turn off as soon as I open the door (instead of waiting for it to time or or lock the doors)... this would be perfect.
Old 12-21-11, 05:53 AM
toxic
Driver

Originally Posted by jasone36
JohnnyCake, the information you posted is exactly the information I was looking for.

This means that I can always leave the switch in the "ON" position and have the lights turn off as soon as I open the door (instead of waiting for it to time or or lock the doors)... this would be perfect.

Not on mine you cant. If I leave the blinker arm switch in the "on" and not "auto" position, the headlights will turn off after a time but not when the door opens. Same with the auto position. This is on an 02. If I want them off quick, I have to double tap the doorlock switch on the fob.

TOXIC
Old 12-21-11, 05:56 AM
jasone36
Instructor

toxic, were your car's "C-BEST" changed to "off" by the dealer? According to VVtiBob post above, There are four settings: "off 30/60/90" representing the number of seconds of delay or the lights remain on.

Unless you had our settings changed, they will be set to 30 or 60 seconds, I believe.
Old 12-21-11, 09:30 AM
VVTiBob

Typically the default is 30 seconds unless asked to be changed by an owner.
Old 12-21-11, 06:02 PM
jasone36
Instructor

Excellent feedback everyone, thank you. It looks like my goal of having the switch always be on 'ON' and having the lights turned off with the opening of the door can be achieved by having the dealer program the C-BEST settings. This way the lights can remain on ALL the time while the engine is started (for safety, and looks...), yet turn off immediately when I open the door with the key out of the ignition (I hope I got this right!)
Old 12-28-11, 11:31 AM
jasone36
Instructor

For those following the thread, I have an UPDATE.

The Lexus dealer performed this service for under $50. The mechanic noted it as "Adjusted LPS Setting".

Interestingly enough, it functions even better than I had expected: The headlights turn off immediately after the ignition is turned off if I have the switch on "ON" (there is no need to open the door to have the lights shut off, as another person wrote earlier in this thread).
Old 12-28-11, 01:01 PM
VVTiBob

LPS = Lexus Personal Settings.

Quick Reply: Setting to Turn Off Headlights Immediately After Ignition Turned Off