Inexpesive Ways to Make SC430 Look Unique

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-11, 07:58 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Exclamation Inexpesive Ways to Make SC430 Look Unique

Friends,

I am looking for your thoughts on inexpensive ways to make the SC430 look unique and stand out, but with taste.

I am ruling out mods like body kits, wheels/rims, and the $1,200 Rear LED light kit due to the cost and effort involved. I wish I could do the clear corner (side marker) mod, but somehow it is also a $500 mod on the SC430 (I am still shocked at this...)

We can assume that window tint has been installed and the pie wheel plates have been swapped for the star wheel plates.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Old 12-19-11, 08:17 AM
VegasSC430
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can buy tint for the tails for around $40. I bought the red smoke tint after some recommendations here, but you could go with the dark smoke too if you prefer it. Much cheaper way to update the tails. I haven't installed the tint yet but I'll post pics before and after I do.
Old 12-19-11, 08:18 AM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

jason-try a search and spend some time in the stickies up top. Lots of info in there...I know!
Old 12-19-11, 08:21 AM
westrella1
Rookie

Here's what I've found to be the most inexpensive modification for the SC430: Put the top down & have your wife or girlfriend in the drivers seat. When heads turn, I can almost guarantee no one will be scrutinizing your wheels, lights, or body kit.
Old 12-19-11, 10:02 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You can red out the taillights with red tint. It's available on ebay. You can do it yourself, but I'd recommend having a tint shop do it unless you have experience tinting windows.

You can easily debadge the front and back for free. The front emblem is a single screw. I had a guy follow me for half a mile to ask me where I got the grill. He was surprised when I told him it was exactly the same as his. The "Lexus" and "sc430" emblems will come off the rear with fishing line or dental floss. You'll have to polish and wax after they're off to get rid of any ghosting. I'd leave the read "L" emblem alone. There are two holes in the metal behind it. You have to get them filled and painted if you take it off.

There's a do it yourself for clear corner side markers. Search and you'll find it. Total cost on that is under $50.

Lowering springs are relatively cheap. But personally I wouldn't bother with stock wheels.

Wheel spacers are relatively cheap too. But personally I think they're more trouble than they're worth. They can cause vibrations/steering wheel shakes. And they can be a safety hazard.
Old 12-19-11, 03:09 PM
Hey Johnny
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
You can red out the taillights with red tint. It's available on ebay. You can do it yourself, but I'd recommend having a tint shop do it unless you have experience tinting windows.

You can easily debadge the front and back for free. The front emblem is a single screw. I had a guy follow me for half a mile to ask me where I got the grill. He was surprised when I told him it was exactly the same as his. The "Lexus" and "sc430" emblems will come off the rear with fishing line or dental floss. You'll have to polish and wax after they're off to get rid of any ghosting. I'd leave the read "L" emblem alone. There are two holes in the metal behind it. You have to get them filled and painted if you take it off.

There's a do it yourself for clear corner side markers. Search and you'll find it. Total cost on that is under $50.
yup, all good ideas. Instead of clear corners I bought a set of red to match the rear. I loved the uniform look of red markers front and rear.

Inexpesive Ways to Make SC430 Look Unique-zd5md.jpg

without the emblems and front plate

Inexpesive Ways to Make SC430 Look Unique-nxojg.jpg
Old 12-20-11, 12:03 AM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aluminum race pedals for ~$70 on ebay with the Lexus name on them.
Old 12-20-11, 12:16 AM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Pinstripes? Nahhh...

Vanity plates.
A Kings crown in the rear window. Nahhh...
Curtains in the rear window? Nahhh...
A small national flag from the country of your ancestors hanging from your rear view mirror?
LED flood lights like on the Audi
Exhaust tips.
Suede headliner
If you got spoke rims, paint the calibers (if they are stock and your rims are >= 19", paint them black)
Get a cute puppy
Old 12-20-11, 05:23 AM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Can you find one modified sc430 that meets your criteria?
If so, definitely let us know. lol

A few members here including me have spent tons of money, but still don't think our sc430s look that unique. lol
Old 12-20-11, 06:17 AM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by talwang
Can you find one modified sc430 that meets your criteria?
If so, definitely let us know. lol

A few members here including me have spent tons of money, but still don't think our sc430s look that unique. lol
I agree. There are alot of DIY mods but still would not make the car more unique. Start with what the other members stated with changing of the pie plates, smoke/red tail light tints and the basic inexpensive mods. From there you will know if you want to go futher modding.

On a side note, Talwang I want your front bumper..I think its time for a change for you.
Old 12-20-11, 11:36 AM
toxic
Driver

"inexpensive" and LEXUS do not belong in the same sentence. LEXUS built it's name on quality and a high price point. To sidestep that ideology ruins the LEXUS name. Just because they have been out for a long while and are getting to the used price point for a larger audience, there is going to be those who want to "modify" and will try to do it on a budget and it will look like crap. Not saying this is you but there is a standard to uphold. Ever seen a vette that some one has modded....very few match the class of the original and that is the way I look at the 430.

Any cheap mod will cheapen the car IMHO.

TOXIC
Old 12-20-11, 06:04 PM
jasone36
Instructor

I am certainly not looking to install windshield washer hood LEDs or other super inexpensive items, as that would certainly devalue the car.

For those folks who put red tint on the taillights, would you please post a picture or two? The idea of putting red tint on the taillights interests me a bit.

Has anyone installed the "rear glass spoiler"? I am assuming they glue on the top of the rear window.

I would prefer not to debadge as I like the emblems.

Any more thoughts are appreciated.
Old 12-20-11, 06:35 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

i did mine since i sold my 06+ tail lights

you need a heat gun, water and a cutting knife
Old 12-21-11, 05:26 AM
jasone36
Instructor

mIStaSC, the red tint does look nice. Did you buy precut and prepackaged tint, or had to cut it yourself?
Old 12-22-11, 03:28 PM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

stickers makes the SC430 go faster!!! Just joking.

LOL I've also seen people put LED valve caps that light up when they spin!!

merry xmas.

Quick Reply: Inexpesive Ways to Make SC430 Look Unique