SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Beat Sonic NAV Bypass kit Review and DIY PDF

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-12, 04:57 PM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts
Default Beat Sonic NAV Bypass kit Review and DIY PDF

After our discussion regarding the Beat Sonic Navigation System kit NVK-01, I decided to buy and install one on my 2002 SC430. I've already upgraded my NAV ECU to a GEN 4 NAV system, but it does NOT have a bluetooth phone interconnect. So I cannot review those functions.

I am including a PDF for those you who'd like to tackle this as a DIY project. It is very simple installation although it will take you at least four hours to get the car apart and back together again. The kit itself will only take 30 minutes tops as it modular with plug and play connectors.

As for it operations; It could not be easier and rewarding too. No more having to pull over in frustration of not being able to enter new data or look up points of interest while the car is moving more than three (3) miles per hour. You simply press the Beat Sonic button once and the speed sensor circuit is disrupted so the car's NAV system believes you have stopped and releases the lock out. Once you're done entering info, press the Beat Sonic button a second time and the speed sensor circuit is restored.

In my testing it took the NAV ECU between 10 and 20 seconds to figure it was out of position on the roadway, recalculate and refresh the map with the correct position. It was slightly faster if you were actually following a route when the changes were made.

With that said, remember distracted driving can be dangerous. At 35 miles per hour you are traveling at more than 51 feet every second and at 65 MPH your going 95 feet a second. Pay attention to the roadway conditions and keep your eyes on the road. If you install this device let your passenger work the navigation system while you operate the vehicle.
Attached Files

Last edited by VVTiBob; 01-25-12 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-25-12, 06:06 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Sold me gotta get me one of them there dohickys
Old 02-06-12, 03:52 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
I've already upgraded my NAV ECU to a GEN 4 NAV system, but it does NOT have a bluetooth phone interconnect. So I cannot review those functions.
The BeatSonic DOES NOT OVERRIDE the phone lockout when moving, just the NAV. With respect to the NAV, it works great.

For you do-it-yourself types, the BeatSonic just interrupts a single wire coming off of the NAV. If you don't mind cutting your factory harness, you could get a $2 SPST switch from Radio Shack and save yourself $178.

The value of the BeatSonic is in the one-foot male-to-female harness so that the wire is interrupted there rather than on your factory harness. That's the only part used in the install for my car. The switch they supplied (while a perfectly fine switch) was tossed in the trash.
Old 02-06-12, 04:15 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
The BeatSonic DOES NOT OVERRIDE the phone lockout when moving, just the NAV. With respect to the NAV, it works great.

For you do-it-yourself types, the BeatSonic just interrupts a single wire coming off of the NAV. If you don't mind cutting your factory harness, you could get a $2 SPST switch from Radio Shack and save yourself $178.

The value of the BeatSonic is in the one-foot male-to-female harness so that the wire is interrupted there rather than on your factory harness. That's the only part used in the install for my car. The switch they supplied (while a perfectly fine switch) was tossed in the trash.
Johnny I just copied this from beatsonic web site. For a 2005 sc430 . According to this the blue tooth phone lock out is unlocked when you activate the beatsonic and your supposed to be able to use the functions listed while moving including the navigation and the phone ?

Buddy

Features:
-Enable functions that lock out when the car goes into motion.
-Plug and Play harness enables no splicing of factory harness.
-Easily reversible to factory specifications.
-One-touch switch to easily override factory navigation system.

While Driving, allow full access to factory navigation, bluetooth dialing and mp3 folder controls while vehicle is in motion:
- Enter and edit destinations.
- Enter and edit Points of Interests.
- Browse phone and address book.
- Dial phone numbers on the numeric keypad.
- Browse music folders and play list from MP3 discs and /or HDD audio sources.
Old 02-06-12, 04:37 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Default beat sonic

[QUOTE=mrblister;6998956]Johnny I just copied this from beatsonic web site. For a 2005 sc430 . According to this the blue tooth phone lock out is unlocked when you activate the beatsonic and your supposed to be able to use the functions listed while moving including the navigation and the phone ?

Buddy

]Features:
-Enable functions that lock out when the car goes into motion.
-Plug and Play harness enables no splicing of factory harness.
-Easily reversible to factory specifications.
-One-touch switch to easily override factory navigation system.
[B][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="4"]

Johnny I stand corrected I just got an e mail from beatsonic that there web site erronous reports that the phone is unlocked. I DONT UNDERSTAND THESE GUYS . The misinformation is amazing I may just return mine. I really wanted the phone to be unlocked . They now claim this will work on 2010 forward . They are really lost.

Buddy
Old 02-28-12, 12:53 AM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake

Do a DIY write up man! I'm not confident cutting anything unless I see some pics of what to slice!