Replace ML Radio option

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-12, 06:11 PM
RCD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace ML Radio option

Hi all,

New SC430 owner. Owned GS400 a few years ago and love the Brand. My 2002 SC430 has separated bass door speakers. I looked here to see what you all knew about the issue. I was sty=unned at how helpful everyone is to each other and there is an awesome post with pics on how to remove door skin and replace 6 x 9's with offshelf units.

It seems there is no good idea for replacing wither the speakers or the ML head unit. I want to upgrade the ML for IPod, Satellite and can live with one disc CD player.

So here is an idea that came from one of the five local car stereo installers. Two wanted nothing to do with the car and the 8ohm siutation.

The most innovative suggestion: mount new Alpine or Kenwood head with options needed. Replace 6 x9's with off shelf 4 ohm poly units. Power these 40hm units only directly from head and let the new head send data only to the ML amplifier which will continue powering sub woofer. mids and tweeters only.

Sounds like a pretty good plan.....which is usually because you've forgotten something. What's wrong this time?

Thanks
RCD
Old 02-06-12, 06:14 PM
RCD
Driver School Candidate

Angry typos in original

Sorry guys. Missed the preview post button in haste to post. Saw the preview button just as I clicked.
Old 02-07-12, 10:12 AM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

You may want to consider using one the CL vendors (BeatSonic) installation kits BEATSONIC installation kit. I suppose it really about how much you want to change out. The kit linked above allows you to change out our dated head unit with something more state-of-the-art, while leaving the wiring and amplifier in place. I believe one of the downsides is loss of steering wheel controls, but I'm not 100% on that.
Regarding the ML speakers...yep they are pain. Good luck with you mod and please keep us up-to-date on your progress.
Oh, BTW welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase.
Old 02-07-12, 07:33 PM
RCD
Driver School Candidate

Fella's

Thanks for the quick reply. I have spent a fair amount of time looking for sterio options and kits....all roads ended up at custom install only. Never came up with Beat Sonic on my own. Outstanding option. Because the car has such a compact cabin the steering wheel controls are not that critical to me.

I will check the garage and will post my final solution.

Thanks again guys. Invaluable assistance.

Cheers
RCD
Old 02-08-12, 05:41 AM
toxic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through the same thing. My trusted audio shop said that the best option was to clean house and install everything new or just go get another set of the ML speakers, which I did. I am happy with the sound but very hesitant to "crank" any tunes!!

TOXIC