SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Megan racing coil over install

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-12, 02:10 PM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Megan racing coil over install

I have a 2002 sc430 with about 100,000 miles. About 4 months ago I began to feel the car bouncing more and more after I went over bumps. So I decided that it was time for new struts, but after reading posts on the forum I decided to go with the megan racing ez coil overs. I thought this was a big project to take on myself but after seeing a few member DIY posts I decided to go for it...and it was not difficult at all!

The main reason I am posting this is to really thank everyone who takes the time to document and take pictures of projects they have done. For this project I want to thank club members Poqman and WILL44 for the detail in their write-ups and the great pictures. If you are looking to use their posts do a search for "Megan ez coil-over install" and "Megan install in pictures" and both Poqman and WILL44 threads will be there. I also want to thank vvtibob, he posted the PDF on how to remove the trunk liner. I would have broken more pieces if I had not followed that PDF. I have included the PDF below.

It took me 2 days to complete the project, but only because I gave myself time to do the front one day and the rear the next. I could have done all four in one day and I saved about $1000...it was a good day for me.
Attached Files
Old 02-10-12, 02:21 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Congratulations on doing it yourself. It was certainly my intent to give encouragement to those who want to try this the confidence that they could do it. Great to see another Virginian!
Old 02-10-12, 02:39 PM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

You left out the most important comment...how does the car ride with the new coil covers?

Last edited by VVTiBob; 02-11-12 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-10-12, 03:14 PM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

It is a great ride, the car feels more stable when cornering and smooth when going over bumps. I like that I can set the dial to the firmness that I want and also the height.
Old 02-11-12, 11:46 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Well done hlthink, glad my post helped your install.
Although I have been extremely pleased with my Megans, I am about to convert to air suspension. I will be keeping the Megans, but coverting them to use the air bags.
My SC is only lowered one and three quarter inches, but the crossmember does not clear speed bumps etc. I am fed up avoiding whole area's around where I live because of them, but I still get caught out and have to repair the crossmember.
With the air I will be able to raise the car with a touch of a button and lower it more than it is now with another touch.

I hope to document the install and post it on here.
It will be the biggest job I have done on the car and hope it is finished before our summer.
The kit is on it's way from Universial Air in California and as soon as it arrives I will start the install.
I also have a Lux Link to install, but that worries me more than installing the air.

I will let you know how it goes.

Enjoy your ride.

Best regards
Steve
Old 02-11-12, 12:02 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Steve,

A gentle nudge for you to try the luxlink install. I will be the 1st to cheer you and may be the 1st to benefit from you DIY, LOL!

mandy
Old 02-11-12, 12:23 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by WIL44
Well done hlthink, glad my post helped your install.
Although I have been extremely pleased with my Megans, I am about to convert to air suspension. I will be keeping the Megans, but coverting them to use the air bags.
My SC is only lowered one and three quarter inches, but the crossmember does not clear speed bumps etc. I am fed up avoiding whole area's around where I live because of them, but I still get caught out and have to repair the crossmember.
With the air I will be able to raise the car with a touch of a button and lower it more than it is now with another touch.

I hope to document the install and post it on here.
It will be the biggest job I have done on the car and hope it is finished before our summer.
The kit is on it's way from Universial Air in California and as soon as it arrives I will start the install.
I also have a Lux Link to install, but that worries me more than installing the air.

I will let you know how it goes.

Enjoy your ride.

Best regards
Steve
I'd be looking forward to seeing an install thread if you do go with an air ride.
Old 02-11-12, 12:39 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Steve,

A gentle nudge for you to try the luxlink install. I will be the 1st to cheer you and may be the 1st to benefit from you DIY, LOL!

mandy
Hi Mandy

Thanks for the nudge. If the air install goes sweet I may continue with the Lux Link while the boot (oops trunk) is stripped out.
I opened the Lux Link box when it arrived (with the alarm and rear window mod) and quickly closed it again. LOL I am fairly confident around mechanical installs, but all those wires gave me nightmares!!!!!!
There has also been a lot of posts with members Lux Link problems.
See how the air goes and you never know.

It is 8 degrees below here at the moment, so I am staying indoors to keep warm. The thought of getting under the car (even in a nice warm garage with a wood floor) is not very appealing.

Best regards
Steve
Old 02-11-12, 12:41 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kira X
I'd be looking forward to seeing an install thread if you do go with an air ride.
Hi Kira

I will do my best with a DIY, but it is totally new territory for me and I hope I don't end up throwing a spanner or two across the garage. lol.

Best regards
steve
Old 02-11-12, 03:53 PM
bacardi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve
Thats the first thing I did, still waiting to install mine.
Old 02-11-12, 04:31 PM
braheem
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WIL44
I hope I don't end up throwing a spanner or two across the garage
Repeat after me "Wrench"
Old 02-12-12, 12:56 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Exclamation

Originally Posted by braheem
Repeat after me "Wrench"
Hi braheem

There is always one that catches me out, got used to 'tyres', 'bonnet', 'boot' and 'pavement', but 'spanner' got me this time.
I think I should now say 'my bad' lol.

Last edited by WIL44; 02-16-12 at 11:47 AM.