Check Engine - Evap Emission Control P0440 & P0446

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-18, 01:35 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by acosta96
im trying to buy about 5ft on amazon because i have multiple hoses with tears
i understand...I just ordered 10ft of each common size, three sizes, from eBay...

i am on the road at the moment but if i were home, I could tell you the size.

you can also google that hose and one of the online Lexus dealers should show up with a part number, then you may be able to find the size that way...sorry I could not help more.
Old 07-25-18, 09:54 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 490 Likes on 409 Posts

I used 1/4 inch aka 6 mm. It fit very well. I think I bought 5 feet from Oreilley's for less than a dollar. The only bad part is the clamps didn't fit right, so I had to buy clamps at O'Reilly's.

I didn't by the OEM pre-fit hose because the hoses were kinda pricey, but if I were to do it all over again, I'd probably go that route. Since the hoses go all over your engine bay, it is nice to have them molded and sharp cornered, instead of the hoses and aftermarket clamps, just lying there.
Old 11-02-19, 08:49 AM
Clunky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My newly purchased 2002 sc430 came back with an evap code after I had it in for Toyota service to replace the ATF. The dealer did a smoke test on the fuel system and found leaks in the the acordian hose and above the fuel tank. They are recommending replacement of the acordian hose, all the seals above the tank, and the ORV valve. The parts are relatively inexpensive, but the labor is brutal ... total repair cost $1,050.

The VSC light was on, but I reset it using the "jump wire in the OBDI reader" technique described in another thread. Oh well, I guess I can feel good about having new hoses and seals
Old 11-02-19, 05:01 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Clunky
My newly purchased 2002 sc430 came back with an evap code after I had it in for Toyota service to replace the ATF. The dealer did a smoke test on the fuel system and found leaks in the the acordian hose and above the fuel tank. They are recommending replacement of the acordian hose, all the seals above the tank, and the ORV valve. The parts are relatively inexpensive, but the labor is brutal ... total repair cost $1,050.

The VSC light was on, but I reset it using the "jump wire in the OBDI reader" technique described in another thread. Oh well, I guess I can feel good about having new hoses and seals
where is the accordion hose located?
i would check all of the hoses around the engine bay first.
i bet you find a cracked and broken hose on the engine, unless you tell me they have been replaced.

you also need to check post #11. Those hoses can come loose if you have bad motor mounts AND if you ever accelerate hard.
the engine flexes and it pulls those hoses loose...

just because you went to a dealer doesn’t mean they know all of the little issues with our cars...trust me they don’t. I am not saying your dealer is not an expert but most dealers are not.

i do understand if you might not be able to check under the hood and if that is the case, spend the money.

Last edited by Bgw70; 11-02-19 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-02-19, 08:43 PM
Clunky
Driver School Candidate

They did a smoke test and saw 2 areas where the smoke was leaking - above the gas tank and the accordian hose (which is located where the tank is filled, iirc). I'll have them look in the engine compartment as well.

Since they need to drop the gas tank to do this work, I asked if there was anything else worth doing "while they're in there", but they didn't think so. Can anyone here think of anything I should have them check while the tank is out? Any more hoses, bushings, or equipment that can easily be replaced once the tank is out?

I don't want to spend more money unnecessarily, but it seems to make sense to take advantage of the labor used to open things up.
Old 11-03-19, 02:52 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

They did a smoke test and saw 2 areas where the smoke was leaking - above the gas tank and the accordian hose (which is located where the tank is filled, iirc). I'll have them look in the engine compartment as well.

Since they need to drop the gas tank to do this work, I asked if there was anything else worth doing "while they're in there", but they didn't think so. Can anyone here think of anything I should have them check while the tank is out? Any more hoses, bushings, or equipment that can easily be replaced once the tank is out?

I don't want to spend more money unnecessarily, but it seems to make sense to take advantage of the labor used to open things up.
I sure wish I lived near you because we would go have a chat with your dealer...

here is a link to the image and all the parts in the fuel tank area.
https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dl...-tube-18046584

Last edited by Bgw70; 11-03-19 at 03:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Clunky (11-03-19)
Old 11-03-19, 06:49 AM
Clunky
Driver School Candidate

I think 77213B is what they were calling the "accordian hose". I'll definitely have them check the engine compartment before they start pulling everything apart!

Yes, it would be great to have an advocate with me who knows these cars! I've taken my lx470 to these guys for several years and the guy who runs the service department is in my landcruiser club. They've never tried to upsell me into repairs, so I really don't think they are intentionally trying to mislead. However, I'm sure they don't see sc430s very often and they could misdiagnose the issue.
Old 11-04-19, 12:18 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

You may want to consider replacing the vapor canister. It is in that same general area. Of course you may not, I have never actually heard one go bad before. I had thought mine had gone bad because I smelled gas and had the 440 446 codes, but it turns out it was a hose in my engine, just like BGW outlined.

If you want to feel better about your diagnosis, you can read this "Just answer": https://www.justanswer.com/lexus/8v8...000-miles.html
Old 11-04-19, 08:55 PM
Clunky
Driver School Candidate

That was a very informative "just answer" thread. The dealer I work with did do a smoke test and found 2 leak areas. I'm thinking I'll ask them to do that test again and check the engine compartment before fully digging into a $1K repair.
Old 11-05-19, 09:22 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

That was a very informative "just answer" thread. The dealer I work with did do a smoke test and found 2 leak areas. I'm thinking I'll ask them to do that test again and check the engine compartment before fully digging into a $1K repair.
I am glad I could help. If you have 1/2 an hour, you could probably do a quick check yourself. You just need to take off your engine cover. It is two nuts (10 mm) and then pulls off. Once you get it off, you can look at your hoses and see if there is a crack in them. There are hoses all over that crack, but this is the most common one. When I say crack, I mean a literal crack that you will see at the end of the hose if it is bad. If ANY of the hoses are cracked, you will get the code.

Another thing to consider is you will get a P0440 code if you did not tighten your gas cap all the way
The following users liked this post:
Clunky (11-05-19)
Old 11-05-19, 09:25 AM
Clunky
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I'll definitely check the engine compartment. That said, the smoke test revealed the existence other leaks. The question is whether I actually need to repair those leaks since it is possible they aren't all that bad, but I'm leaning towards doing it since I know they exist.
Old 11-15-19, 02:44 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

It has returned again!!! Thought I would share the easy fix...
Like Darryl and I have said, check those old vacuum lines.

this will give you a P0440, P0441 and/or P0446 code.

Old 01-13-21, 10:34 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Yep, BGW is right. He pointed that out to me and said to look at the two hoses there on the driver side. I did and one was disconnected and the other loose. I just reconnected mine. (See my picture a couple of inches below the green cap.)

Old 01-13-21, 06:03 PM
JHNSTN
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The EGR valve can throw those codes also if the hoses are off or bad. Mine was throwing codes and when I found it the part the hose clamps to was broken from the body. This part is unobtainum. With a small piece of metal tubing and judicious use of JB Weld, I was able to cobble it all back together. Its been over 5K miles and hasn't returned yet. Knock on wood.
Old 01-14-21, 10:22 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by JHNSTN
The EGR valve can throw those codes also if the hoses are off or bad. Mine was throwing codes and when I found it the part the hose clamps to was broken from the body. This part is unobtainum. With a small piece of metal tubing and judicious use of JB Weld, I was able to cobble it all back together. Its been over 5K miles and hasn't returned yet. Knock on wood.
Do you have any pictures?

Quick Reply: Check Engine - Evap Emission Control P0440 & P0446