SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Check Engine - Evap Emission Control P0440 & P0446

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-23, 01:29 AM
Lex00
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

@Lexus62 would love to know what happened with your situation. My car guy fixed everything possible and these codes came back again. He is stumped and I am so over this. No disconnected hoses or cracks all hoses replaced, no leaks, replaced charcoal canister and overfill valve, new fuel cap. This is nuts!

Originally Posted by Lexus62
Okay.. I have had these codes for quite some time. The emssion codes. Totally over it! Lexus replaced the gas hose due to slight crack. Gas Cap. The codes are cleared and would come back after 500 miles. Then recently came after alternator was replaced in Nov, within 75 miles, Oct damper shooting out gas ..That was replaced.

Engine Light still comes on..so Dec 2 back to Lexus. Replaced the canister and had a Idler pulley replaced.
Engine came on again...

Soo if any of you guys have an idea what could be next? Seems to be something this wonderful Luxury car in notorious for.
Old 01-06-23, 05:38 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 881 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex00
@Lexus62 would love to know what happened with your situation. My car guy fixed everything possible and these codes came back again. He is stumped and I am so over this. No disconnected hoses or cracks all hoses replaced, no leaks, replaced charcoal canister and overfill valve, new fuel cap. This is nuts!
please look at the pics in posts 42&43…YOU should look…are you sure your car guy fixed everything ;-)
Old 01-06-23, 08:19 PM
Lex00
Driver School Candidate

@Bgw70 I looked under the engine cover multiple times right where the hoses surrounding the green cap as mentioned by other members and from photos via post #42 and #43. My smog test said smoke test passed. Its the OBD2 that failed bc of CEL. The guy at the smog shop was like he never heard my situation before! Look at my pic. Please helpppppp me. My brain hurts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
please look at the pics in posts 42&43…YOU should look…are you sure your car guy fixed everything ;-)

What am I missing? The OEM clamps can't be it.
Old 01-07-23, 06:41 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

@Bgw70 I looked under the engine cover multiple times right where the hoses surrounding the green cap as mentioned by other members and from photos via post #42 and #43. My smog test said smoke test passed. It’the OBD2 that failed bc of CEL. The guy at the smog shop was like he never heard my situation before! Look at my pic. Please helpppppp me. My brain hurts
What am I missing? The OEM clamps can't be it.
Lex, I don’t see anything but check the area circled in red…pull on the vacuum line, I have seen where the plastic was broken and leaking bad but it looked like it was still attached. Be gentle.

Old 01-07-23, 10:50 PM
Lex00
Driver School Candidate

Lex, I don’t see anything but check the area circled in red…pull on the vacuum line, I have seen where the plastic was broken and leaking bad but it looked like it was still attached. Be gentle.

@Bgw70 I will check the red circle above tomorrow but I did look at my video of all the hoses again and saw a small section that appears to be cracked up close. Look below. You think this could be the culprit?? It is cracked and worn. It is the connecting hose attached to the tiny black box.

It shows cracked and rubber is worned down on the other side which wasn't shown in my other photo.
Old 01-08-23, 02:45 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

@Bgw70 I will check the red circle above tomorrow but I did look at my video of all the hoses again and saw a small section that appears to be cracked up close. Look below. You think this could be the culprit?? It is cracked and worn. It is the connecting hose attached to the tiny black box.

It shows cracked and rubber is worned down on the other side which wasn't shown in my other photo.
I believe you found it…just be very careful when you remove it. peel it off since it is already cracked.
also, check the other hoses for hidden cracks.

that hose clamp should not be in the middle of the hose, unless you moved it there during inspection.
Old 01-08-23, 11:08 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 483 Likes on 403 Posts

. You think this could be the culprit??
I would say you found it, or at least part of it. When my hoses started cracking, I just replaced the cracked ones. But then more and more cracked, since the vacuum pressure increased. Finally I just replaced all the rest of the hoses.

That could be why your mechanic fixed all the cracks (you had at the time) but you found more when the light came back on.
Old 01-08-23, 11:45 AM
Lex00
Driver School Candidate

I believe you found it…just be very careful when you remove it. peel it off since it is already cracked.
also, check the other hoses for hidden cracks.

that hose clamp should not be in the middle of the hose, unless you moved it there during inspection.
@Bgw70 Really! That is crazy this would be the culprit. I am not so sure but either way, should replace it. I never moved the clamp. That's how it looked and pretty sure my car guy didn't even touch it. It would be upsetting if the whole time the issue is this tiny hose, not all the other expensive replacements I did. Could it be cause of the errors? That's wild. Is this easy to remove and replace? I'm afraid to touch it but at this rate, doesn't matter since I got the same 2 error codes again and again anyway.

Old 01-08-23, 03:36 PM
Lex00
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
I would say you found it, or at least part of it. When my hoses started cracking, I just replaced the cracked ones. But then more and more cracked, since the vacuum pressure increased. Finally I just replaced all the rest of the hoses.

That could be why your mechanic fixed all the cracks (you had at the time) but you found more when the light came back on.
🤞I hope this is it! I'm very disappointed in my mechanic. He was sloppy and from this experience, I don't see him the same way. Where did you get the hoses to replace? I need to look for the tiny one and would need the clamp as well.
Old 01-09-23, 05:12 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

You can remove the hose and take it with you to an auto parts store…some may have a rolls of vacuum lines in different sizes.
you could just match it up and I am sure they would help you.

I personally just ordered three different sizes from Amazon and have plenty when I need it again.

these cracked hoses will happen to every early SC430…I had a 2002 and like Daryl, had to replace them all.
I now have a 2007 and it is fine…but that may change in a few more years.
Old 01-10-23, 12:00 AM
Lex00
Driver School Candidate

You can remove the hose and take it with you to an auto parts store…some may have a rolls of vacuum lines in different sizes.
you could just match it up and I am sure they would help you.

I personally just ordered three different sizes from Amazon and have plenty when I need it again.

these cracked hoses will happen to every early SC430…I had a 2002 and like Daryl, had to replace them all.
I now have a 2007 and it is fine…but that may change in a few more years.
Thanks! @Bgw70 I will look at it next week. Weather has been a mess so waiting it out. Good luck to me on changing this hose!
Old 01-17-23, 06:14 PM
Lex00
Driver School Candidate

@Bgw70 I went to Autozone and got help. Got the hose replaced with new clamps. The hose was so hard to remove. Def not peelable. It had to be sliced up. It was very hard and brittle. No more rubber elasticity. The hose wasn't a perfect fit but the clamps were tighten to make up for it. Got CEL cleared and now will test drive tomorrow to see what happens. 🤞

Before- The old crack hose almost impossible to remove.

After - clamps to tighten and seal the hose that wasn't a perfect fit

Old 01-18-23, 02:37 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 381 Posts

The hose wasn't a perfect fit but the clamps were tighten to make up for it.
I hope this fixes your issue, for now. For future hose replacements, I recommend you attempt to get the proper ID/OD size hose from Toyota, Lexus, or at an online site who sells metric sizes for Japanese cars. Other than for emergencies, I wouldn't use a wrong size hose and especially with worm-gear clamps as opposed to the factory spring clamps, especially if you have to tighten the clamps extra tight on a plastic bibb. This is a recipe for cracking the plastic bibb.

Don't throw away your stock clamps. You may need them in the future for doing the repair again right, if this repair goes south on you.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wilson2000:
Bgw70 (01-22-23), DshngDaryl (01-18-23)
Old 01-18-23, 09:57 PM
Lex00
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
I hope this fixes your issue, for now. For future hose replacements, I recommend you attempt to get the proper ID/OD size hose from Toyota, Lexus, or at an online site who sells metric sizes for Japanese cars. Other than for emergencies, I wouldn't use a wrong size hose and especially with worm-gear clamps as opposed to the factory spring clamps, especially if you have to tighten the clamps extra tight on a plastic bibb. This is a recipe for cracking the plastic bibb.

Don't throw away your stock clamps. You may need them in the future for doing the repair again right, if this repair goes south on you.
Thanks @Wilson2000 it's just for now bc I need to confirm if that's the culprit. I still have the original clamp and hose. I plan to get oem hose and clamp later. I'm just trying to resolve this smog issue separately. If it still doesn't resolve the errors, I plan on taking it to a star certified smog repair shop and will have them cover this as well. 🤞🤞