SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

To buy or not to buy? One or the other or neither?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-12, 12:02 PM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Unless its your dream car at a dream price I'd wait. But, go with your gut.
Old 02-25-12, 12:32 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by kwdnls
Thanks. Going to take it to the Lexus dealership and have them check it out. But if I do decide to buy it, do you think it is worth since it will sit for a year until I am back home? Or should I wait the year before I buy it?
If it is just going to sit idle for a year, why would you buy it now? There will be plenty of SC430s for sale in a year at a lower price. Why not let the present owners store it for you until you are ready to buy? That removes a lot of cost and hassle from you. If it were me, I'd wait a year and search for a younger model with fewer miles since by then the newer models will have a similar price to the ones you are presently looking for.

SC430s being put on the market are not unique. So there will be plenty available for purchase in a year when you get out. That way you can also take your time at deciding which kind you want. (Check out the stickies on what to look for when making a purchase.)

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 02-25-12, 12:59 PM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by kwdnls
Thanks. Going to take it to the Lexus dealership and have them check it out. But if I do decide to buy it, do you think it is worth since it will sit for a year until I am back home? Or should I wait the year before I buy it?
Well to be brutality honest...if it's just going to sit for a year, then I would not buy either car now? I'd wait for the year to pass. The 02 depreciation will not be all that bad (especially in our current economy) While the depreciation on newer models will continue on a predicable path.
Not knowing you budget or where you'll be financially, or physically, in a year will give you plenty of time to do two things; more due diligence and save more money. The latter being more important in my mind.
For the most part SC430s between 02 and 05 are nearly identical with some minor electronic upgrades over those years. However, in 06 Lexus did their mid-model-cycle refresh on the car with major cosmetic changes front and rear, (headlamps/tail lamps) new transmission, dashboard, Gen 4 Navigation and electronics (although it still had a cassette deck)
So if you're not going to really be ready for a year, why buy it just to have it sit? I'd wait, save more dollars, and buy an 06+ rather than an 02 now. While I have NO INSIDER KNOWLEDGE Lexus is working on its SC replacement. If it should be actually announced or released with the next year, (they have already shown a prototype) then all of our cars will take a depreciation hit. You'll be better off waiting. But it's just an opinion, nothing more than that.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 02-25-12 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-25-12, 10:10 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yea dont buy it now your just taking depreciation hits for nothing plus your battery is going to go bad and your gonna get flat spots on your tires from them sitting so long. UNLESS someone is going to drive it for you at least once a week. If you wait until your back you will probably be able to find cars with similar miles for maybe 4-5k less...I dont see the SC430 values appreciating any time soon although they do have a timeless design and are tanks as far as reliability goes. Now if you found one for like 5-6k under value then thats a different story!
Old 04-03-12, 04:50 PM
barncat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have gone with the saddle interior but settled for the Ecru on a white sc430. Mine - 03, low miles but has the run-flats which are going this week. Already broke a wheel with the run-flats. Also,, one speaker is blown and that's a common problem so check that out.
Old 11-17-13, 01:40 AM
lolabunny
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally love the saddle interior. But really I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.
Old 11-18-13, 01:33 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by robertrios
the interior of the blue looks like its in the better condition, I also have a blue sc so im partial to that one. The price is great so I would say buy it!
yes, go with the blue, the interior is much better!