SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 vs. IS350 - A novice comparison

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-12, 09:36 AM
donnieS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SC430 vs. IS350 - A novice comparison

I generally lurk on the forums around here, doing more reading than writing. We recently purchased a 2007 IS350 to replace a 2003 Toyota Highlander. Since I drive a SC430 daily, this is my initial impression of a comparison between the 2. Please feel free to post your experiences between these 2 vehicles, too.

I saw a similar thread in the 2IS forum, so I figured I'd put this in the SC forum, since that's the model that I drive, primarily.

My 430 is pretty much the same as most 430's, kit wise. It's a 2003 with 73k miles and the following modifications:
- VAIS adapter for Line In
- Injen Intake (very recent)

The IS350 is bone stock (59k miles) with the following OEM packages:
- Luxury Plus
- Nav + Mark Levinson
- Rear spoiler (the 430 has one, too)
- Preferred package (trunk mat, cargo net, etc)

Additionally, the IS350 is CPO and has brand new brakes and tires.

This comparison will be broken into categories, below:

------- Comfort and Amenities -------

The IS has seats are more sporty feeling. They're comfortable and feel as if they hold the driver better. The SC seats are, in my opinion, more comfortable, except for reclining. The same seat adjustments apply on this IS as in the SC with one exception. The SC seats do not recline. This is certainly a comfort point, but I understand that the latter models of the SC (I think '05+ or '06+) have a greater reclining ability. Additionally, the IS seats are cooled as well as heated, whereas the SC's seats are only heated.

The newer tech in the IS is welcome over the dated SC. I love my SC, but compared to the IS (which is only 4 years newer) it seems the SC would be about 10 years older. While this is sort of comparing apples to oranges, one must remember that the SC was still produced up to and including the 2010 model year. That's 3 years later than this IS. At EOL, the SC still lacked many of the technology upgrades available in other Lexus models (in this case, a lower model).

OEM Options that are in this IS that were never available on the SC are:
- Ventilated seats
- Paddle Shifters
- Keyless operation
- One touch convertible/sunroof operation
- Touchscreen control for radio, climate
- Backup camera
- DVD video playback
- Audio Line In
- Steering wheel controls for phone and car computer

------- Fit and Finish -------

The SC wins in this category, for sure. That's not to say that the IS is lacking anything. The cars are certainly in different classes. The IS is still quiet and has a sense of luxury, but it just doesn't quite feel as luxurious as the SC. Part of that might be the lesser emphasis on wood (esp steering wheel and shift ****), and more pronounced design patterns. The SC has always just felt soft, quiet, and generally polished.

------- Mark Levinson -------

The Mark Levinson systems in both cars are fantastic. However, I do think the system in the IS has a slight edge. The SC's system is an excellent system, but misses some of the surround that the IS system has. I certainly do not have a trained ear, but the IS system just sounds a little more full to me. The ability to playback DVD video in the IS and the additional options (OEM) for MP3, WMA, and Line In playback give the edge to the IS, for me.

------- Driving Experience -------

Let me preface this part with the fact that I love driving my SC. Top up or top down, I've never enjoyed driving a car as much as I enjoy my SC.

That said, the IS certainly has a more rigid chassis and more responsive steering. The rigidity of the chassis should be expected since it's a sedan with a fixed top. The steering on the IS is more nimble and precise. For highway driving, this can cause a little discomfort as there's more lateral movement of the car with smaller movements of the steering wheel. Conversely, on small winding roads, the IS's responsive steering makes me feel more active as a driver.

The IS and the SC have very similar specifications with regards to HP and torque. The SC has fewer HP and higher torque, and the higher torque is certainly felt. Quick acceleration in the IS doesn't quite feel as fast as the SC, even though the SC is slower in the 0-60 than the IS. The IS is a few hundred pounds lighter, so I'm not sure why the IS doesn't feel faster with acceleration. I'm sure the power curves are different since the engines and transmissions are quite different.

------- Overall -------

I think the vehicles compliment each other well in our garage. The IS is a great vehicle that provides versatility that the SC cannot. For me, though, driving the SC is certainly more enjoyable.

*** This post is in no way intended:
- to start a flame war
- to cry about the fact that the SC was not updated with newer OEM options
- to offend anyone about any choices they've made or will make
- to imply that the SC430 and IS350 are comparable in any way other than we own both (they are after all 2 very different vehicles)
Old 03-07-12, 10:32 AM
TxPhantom
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No offense, I am sure a lot of people like them, but after driving a few ISs, the paddle shifters are about as worthless as a pair of **** on a boar hog... If you want an manually shifting car, get a manual transmission, don’t be a *** and powershift the auto tranny...

Last edited by VVTiBob; 03-07-12 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-07-12, 11:52 AM
donnieS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TxPhantom
No offense, I am sure a lot of people like them, but after driving a few ISs, the paddle shifters are about as worthless as a pair of **** on a boar hog... If you want an manually shifting car, get a manual transmission, don’t be a *** and powershift the auto tranny...
I don't know if I agree to that level of dissatisfaction, however, I do think that if you really want a manually shifting car, then a standard manual is your best option. Control of gearing, clutch feel, and an awareness of the stick position is an experience that cannot be replaced by any automatic transmission.

Having driven many cars with the standard up-down sequential stick on an auto, however, I actually prefer the paddles if I want to shift the gears on an auto transmission on occasion.
Old 03-07-12, 11:59 AM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

While I appreciate the thought and effort put into your opinions and comparison of the IS350 and the SC430, other than some audio electronic bells and whistles, I believe most members here think their SC430s are superior to other Lexus models as well as competitor models in the same class. While it's just my opinion, I believe one of the most important areas of comparison is maintenance and the cost of ownership.
Old 03-07-12, 12:12 PM
1J0Z SC
Lead Lap

Yeah its kind of hard to compare a sports luxury car to a 4 door sedan.
Maybe compare the SC430 to an older first gen Sc400? But either way the SC430 has so much more technology behind it. Its hard to compare.
Old 03-07-12, 02:18 PM
mtnduc
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 06 IS350 with the same packages and now have and 06 SC430.
The IS is a fantastic car and had minimal complaints about it after 3 years of driving.

The IS rear seats are tight but at least they are useable over the SC.
The IS is definatley quicker and I'd say a tad quieter as well.
I miss the cooled seats in the IS, that alone is the biggest thing missing from the SC.
The SC has a bit nicer interior
The SC makes a bit more of a visual statement, love it or hate it

Both SUCK in the snow!
Old 03-08-12, 02:48 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 1J0Z SC
Yeah its kind of hard to compare a sports luxury car to a 4 door sedan.
Maybe compare the SC430 to an older first gen Sc400? But either way the SC430 has so much more technology behind it. Its hard to compare.
I have both the SC400 (Toyota Soarer UZZ32) and the SC430, and let me tell you the the Toyota Soarer UZZ32 has way more technology than the SC430.

The UZZ32 is an active suspension 4WS Japanese import, ie JDM only. This makes is a much better car to drive. The only thing the UZZ32 can't do is become a convertible.

The UZZ32 can out corner a Porcsche 911 on the track. What the UZZ32 doesn't have is out right power compared the VVTI SC430.

If we are comparing the SC400 (US domestic market) then yeah the SC430 is a better drive.

BTW - I find the IS350 feels like it has alot more bottom end torque than the SC430. This could be due to the difference in transmission design and overall sightly lighter car.
Old 03-08-12, 08:19 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I think the two "technological" features that are/were most needed on the SC430 are...

-Cooled seats (for a convertible, this would be REALLY nice!)
- Keyless, pushbutton start

Anything else can be added with a little bit of effort and expense. But the cooled seats and keyless start are not in any way, shape, or form...simple mods.

And I agree that the ISx50's are more "sporty" while the SC430's are more "Luxury Tourer".

But thanks to the OP for posting up his hands-on thoughts on these two fine automobiles.
Old 03-08-12, 09:47 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

I have both a 2006 SC and a 2010 RX350 with every conceivable option. The only differences I find of note are a lack of Rain sensing wipers, keyless entry and push button start, Reverse camera and Distronic cruse control

I have found solutions for all of the above except the cruise control and will be installing same over the next few months along with a Luxlink.

The SC was ahead of its time in so many ways and it's tech has held up pretty well.
Old 03-08-12, 08:32 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2IS (250) and an SC430. The 430 replaced a 1RX and my brother has a 2IS (350). Ive also owned a 94 ES300 in the past. The SC430 is flashy on the outside and the interior is nice as well but its a sport looking car not a sports car. Compared to an IS350 it seems pretty slow and compared to any 2IS the braking and handle are inferior. Technology wise the 2IS beats all model SCs except the 2010 SC which fixed what was needed to 2006 so that is an unfair comparison. Why Lexus decided not to upgrade this car like its other line up is crazy but oh well. I think overall yea they are two different cars for different tastes oh and just for clarity the 2IS does not have cooled seats they have ventilated seats so basically just a fan with the heat off, if your car is really cold then its pushing "colder" air. Some people have moded the pick up on the ventilation to pull from the AC out vents under the car that point to the rear seats.
Old 03-09-12, 04:04 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by robertrios
The SC430 is flashy on the outside and the interior is nice as well but its a sport looking car not a sports car. Compared to an IS350 it seems pretty slow and compared to any 2IS the braking and handle are inferior. Technology wise the 2IS beats all model SCs except the 2010 SC which fixed what was needed to 2006 so that is an unfair comparison.
The only things needed to bring the handling up to a reasonable level are bushings, springs, sway bars and a strut bar. Once all of those are in place, the SC430 is transformed. I blame you Americans for the sad state of the handling out of the box!
Old 03-15-12, 06:45 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

blame japan
Old 03-19-12, 08:03 AM
itruns
Driver

Originally Posted by harleydjce
The only things needed to bring the handling up to a reasonable level are bushings, springs, sway bars and a strut bar. Once all of those are in place, the SC430 is transformed. I blame you Americans for the sad state of the handling out of the box!
Does anyone still offer sways for the sc430 on this side of the pond?
Old 03-19-12, 10:46 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

blame japan
Nope.

Set up for the standard US "comfort" approach. Great in a straight line but can't turn corners.

Anyway, that can be overcome.
Old 11-06-12, 02:33 AM
LexF
Rookie

I have a 2IS (250) and an SC430. The 430 replaced a 1RX and my brother has a 2IS (350). Ive also owned a 94 ES300 in the past. The SC430 is flashy on the outside and the interior is nice as well but its a sport looking car not a sports car. Compared to an IS350 it seems pretty slow and compared to any 2IS the braking and handle are inferior. Technology wise the 2IS beats all model SCs except the 2010 SC which fixed what was needed to 2006 so that is an unfair comparison. Why Lexus decided not to upgrade this car like its other line up is crazy but oh well. I think overall yea they are two different cars for different tastes oh and just for clarity the 2IS does not have cooled seats they have ventilated seats so basically just a fan with the heat off, if your car is really cold then its pushing "colder" air. Some people have moded the pick up on the ventilation to pull from the AC out vents under the car that point to the rear seats.
I'm sorry to bring an old thread up. But what does the 2010SC have that no other year model SC430 has?

Quick Reply: SC430 vs. IS350 - A novice comparison