rscharf
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Retractable Roof Problem

Just as an fyi to folks.....

Here's my issue:

1. Driving with top down last night.
2. Hit Pothole.
3. Sometime or immediately after (not sure), solid red light on roof control and chime while I'm driving.
4. Park car and put roof up. Everything's fine.
5. Put roof down, trunk closes but windows don't go up if you keep holding roof open switch. Red light stays on with finger off roof switch.
6. Drive home. Put roof up, snapping sound.
7. Put roof down, package tray won't flip down. Roof down operation stopped with tray up and trunk open.
8. Put roof up, open trunk and there is a very small piece of black plastic in the middle of the section where the roof goes in the trunk.

I don't expect that anyone else has had this problem, I'm just documenting what happened and will let people know what the outcome is when I drop it off at the dealer next week. It looks like hitting a jarring pothole may have damaged a part of the roof mechanism, and it looks like it may be the mechanism in the package tray.

No top down cruising this weekend!

Robert
Old 10-30-02, 08:37 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No top down cruising for me either its snowing here in NJ. Well hitting a pothole with the top down would seriously flex the car, if you know what I mean. Id contact the town where you hit the pothole as they are responsible for damage to cars.

Just a little FYI, on the garden state parkway they were redoing the bridge sections of the road, I saw 4 cars with flat tires, must have had metal sticking out or something. They are however responsible, as far as I know, although you cannot sue the government without their consent.
Old 10-31-02, 10:01 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm no lawyer, but I think I read somewhere that you must make your complaint to the local government *before* the pothole gets repaired otherwise they will not admit responsibility.

Get that digital camera out!
Old 10-31-02, 11:10 AM
rscharf
Driver

Default Thanks for the input

Good ideas!

However, if Lexus will cover it under the warranty, I don't know if there's any point in claiming it with the local town. My dealership is having me drop it off next Wednesday and they're giving me a loaner car, so I assume they're planning to cover it under the warranty. I told him that a pothole may be responsible.

Robert
Old 10-31-02, 01:54 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Well, I'm *still* not a lawyer

But ......
If you had a monetary claim against another person and that person was found legally responsible, then that person must give you the money even if your insurance covered it. Whether or not you got compensation from another source does not make the legally responsible party any less responsible.

Any lawyers in here who can verify that?

On the other hand, rscharf, if you find it a huge pain in the butt and not worth it to buck City Hall, that is understandable. Personally, I prefer to just roll along through life with as few complications and interruptions as possible. Hey! Maybe that's why I bought a Lexus.
Old 11-06-02, 07:20 PM
rscharf
Driver

Default A Quick Update

I took my car in today and they just called me with an update.

He said that a limit switch (it may be a trunk limit switch specifically?) needs to be replaced. It's supposedly along the left side of the car within the trunk mechanism I guess. I'm going to have him show me when I pick it up. However, it's going to take a week to get the part, so I'll be driving the loaner RX300 for a week. When I asked how this switch could have been broken, he said it looked like it happened by operating the roof without the trunk being fully closed. In fact, he said that my trunk wasn't closed all the way when I brought it in this morning. I assumed there is a light on the dash if the trunk is not fully closed, but he said there isn't. I never knowingly did this, but this is a warning to make sure you check your trunks when you close them. I know I'll be lifting up on mine when I close it from now on just to make sure.

Also, I walked in with the January TSB on the rear suspension problem and told him I was noticing a clunk in the rear suspension. He told me that they would be replacing the rear bushings and working on the front suspension also. I think there is a TSB on the front suspension, but I haven't seen the full document, only a TSB title.

I'll keep you posted with any future updates, especially when I pick up the car next week.

Robert
Old 11-06-02, 11:56 PM
DropTop430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A Quick Update

Originally posted by rscharf
"I took my car in today and they just called me with an update.

He told me that they would be replacing the rear bushings and working on the front suspension also. I think there is a TSB on the front suspension, but I haven't seen the full document, only a TSB title."

Front Suspension TSB?
This is the first I have heard of this? Anyone know anything about this?

Last edited by DropTop430; 11-06-02 at 11:57 PM.
Old 11-07-02, 11:16 AM
rscharf
Driver

DropTop-

I didn't ask him specifically what they were doing in the front, I'll ask him when I pick it up. Below is the only TSB title I have found that may have something to do with it. I only told him I was hearing clunking in the rear, I didn't say anything to him about the front. He did say he was going to look through all the TSBs while servicing my car. I was impressed by that! It probably helped that I walked in the door with a TSB in my hand.

16. SU003-02 JAN 02 Front Stabilizer Bar - Abnormal Noise on Turns/Bumps

I've ordered the above TSB from the NHTSA and you can access the entire list of TSBs for the SC from another post of mine:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=61992

I also asked the service manager about his thoughts on raising tire pressure. He said it's an old racing trick, he said it provides a firmer ride/better handling, actually provides more even treadwear. I told him I just increased my tire pressure to 38psi. He said he's gone as high as 42psi. So, I'm giving it a try.

Robert
Old 11-07-02, 11:28 AM
pot_head
Driver

im hearing a weird noise up front from the front left wheel when im turning right. it sounds like a creaking noise, but i can only hear it when its dead quiet outside....like in an underground parkade...dont know if this is it tho,,
Old 11-07-02, 11:37 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Y'know, I heard some noise coming from the front one day when I backed out of my garage and turned the steering wheel to the right. The top was down and, like pot_head, I never would have heard it if the audio system wasn't off and if it wasn't very quiet outside.

Because I heard it only once, I totally forgot about it. It was NOT a pleasant sound.
Old 11-07-02, 11:45 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its from oversize rims.....tires rubbing the wheel well
Old 11-07-02, 12:03 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Are the standard rims oversize?
Old 11-07-02, 02:39 PM
DropTop430
Driver

No they are not, 18's are large wheels but nothing out of the norm in todays market.

Lexus would not put on a stock wheel/tire package that rubbed under normal driving conditions.
Old 11-07-02, 05:55 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

My car is showroom stock.

Well, today I opened both windows (too darn cold to put the top down) and backed out of the garage while listening carefully. Cranked to the right, to the left, and again and again - no noises. So whatever it was I heard about a month ago I did not hear today.

Old 11-14-02, 11:22 AM
rscharf
Driver

Default Update: Should have car back by tommorrow at latest

My roof problem is fixed (Yeah) !!!

They will start on the rear bushings today, and may need tomorrow to finish up/road test.

I asked what they are doing with the front suspension and he told me there is a TSB on the torque being wrong on the sway bars in the front suspension (I don't know if I am explaining that correctly, I think that's what he said). At least it's a torque issue for sure for those of you who want to follow up with that on your cars. I don't know which TSB it's in.

Robert

P.S. I don't really care for the RX300 loaner I've been driving. Of course, I'm going into it knowing that I don't really care for SUVs to begin with. Why do people want to be bounced around in these vehicles all the time? (OK, everybody can laugh now, I realize you can't compare the ride of an RX300 to an SC430, and we won't even talk about comparing it to the smooth ride of my DTS.)

Quick Reply: Retractable Roof Problem