SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

LED DRL's for the SC

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-12, 09:13 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts
Default LED DRL's for the SC

I have seen pics of LED DRL's for the SC.

Anybody looking at installing them?

I would tap the DRl circuit for it. They will be on when DRL's are on.

The only thing missing on our SC's. I hate to see nice rides with LED DRL's...and wish we can do some for ours...
Old 04-03-12, 09:24 AM
mandyfig

A strip of LED installed right beside our fog lamps. I have seen these LED stips in the BM auto stores...and I have seen them installed on our SC, but remember that teh SC was from Europe.
Old 04-03-12, 10:03 AM
mandyfig

Default Led

Looking through surfing I found these and it is: 115 mm (4.5”) length x 28 mm (1.1”) deep x 11 mm thin (0.43”)
Attached Thumbnails LED DRL's for the SC-led-fog-sc.jpg  
Old 04-03-12, 02:52 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed a strip of LED's on the outside of the headlights but haven't wired them up yet because I would like them on at night too. I did the DLR LED upgrade already so I have the bright white.I figured once I see where to tap in, I can see what they look like and post pictures - easy to remove if necessay.
Old 08-21-12, 06:06 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

now that I have the 2012 headlights on my ISF with the oem led stips I really want to do something similar to the sc430...anyone have aany updates or experiments in the works?
Old 08-21-12, 12:33 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Hi Mandy

I recently fitted LED DRL's, but went a slightly different route and used four LED round lights in place of the fogs.

Removed the fog lights and made a clear lens for the existing foglight bezell then fitted the DRL'S behind. Spayed the bezells with PlastiDip for now , but will spray them body colour soon.

They look great from a distance, but I am not sure about close up, opinions please.

The lights come with a electronic box that senses when the engine is running and turns them on. In the UK they have to go off when the main lights are on so you have to tap into the side lights and the electronics do the rest.

Best regards
Steve
Attached Thumbnails LED DRL's for the SC-img-20120721-00660.jpg   LED DRL's for the SC-img-20120721-00661.jpg   LED DRL's for the SC-img-20120721-00662.jpg   LED DRL's for the SC-img-20120721-00670.jpg  
Old 08-21-12, 06:05 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@wil44 - those look great up close. Did you also do the DLR LED upgrade for the standard DLRs? The OEM yellow glow wouldn't go with the white. Of course your mod is a different look from the LED bar which also look great now on show on Ice's gold mine ...
Old 08-22-12, 12:15 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
@wil44 - those look great up close. Did you also do the DLR LED upgrade for the standard DLRs? The OEM yellow glow wouldn't go with the white. Of course your mod is a different look from the LED bar which also look great now on show on Ice's gold mine ...
Thanks SlvBullet

UK SC's were never supplied with DRL's. It only became law to fit them on new cars from 2011.

They have to be low energy (led) and go off when the main lights go on.

Love the look of Ice's, but to me you cannot get a good looking LED bar off the shelf to fit our cars(at least in the UK) without them looking like add on' unless you make major body mods like Ice.

Best regards
Steve
Old 08-22-12, 02:36 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WIL44
Hi Mandy

I recently fitted LED DRL's, but went a slightly different route and used four LED round lights in place of the fogs.

Removed the fog lights and made a clear lens for the existing foglight bezell then fitted the DRL'S behind. Spayed the bezells with PlastiDip for now , but will spray them body colour soon.

They look great from a distance, but I am not sure about close up, opinions please.

The lights come with a electronic box that senses when the engine is running and turns them on. In the UK they have to go off when the main lights are on so you have to tap into the side lights and the electronics do the rest.

Best regards
Steve
Awesome job! Everything that you do on your SC is subtle and shows considered thought and a high level of class.

Where did you source the LED's and did you wire this into the standard headlight circuits? DRL's aren't required in Oz but are increasingly common for "fashion"
Old 08-22-12, 11:59 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by harleydjce
Awesome job! Everything that you do on your SC is subtle and shows considered thought and a high level of class.

Where did you source the LED's and did you wire this into the standard headlight circuits? DRL's aren't required in Oz but are increasingly common for "fashion"
Wow, thanks Harley for the nice comments.

This is the link to the DRL's on eBay UK.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Profession...item1c2a63f87e

The lights come with an electronic circuit that is simple to wire (just three wires) one to a constant voltage feed, one to ground and one to the sidelight feed (so that they go off when the lights are on). The electronics sense when the engine is started and turns them on.

DRL's became law on new cars in the UK from last year, but are mainly for 'fashion' as you put it, on earlier cars.

Best regards
Steve

Last edited by WIL44; 08-23-12 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-22-12, 04:32 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure how large the opening is for the SC430 fog lights are, but if you guys are looking to do a set up similar to the one above, you can go with these:

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Hella-90mm-...tm&click=35328

2.75" in diameter and produces about 4W of power. 380 lumen per lamp, basic bracket and screws are provided, but you may need more depending on how you install it.

Let me know if anybody is interested
Old 08-22-12, 07:42 PM
mandyfig

Wow missing all this action.

Steve awesome job. I am in awe of your car.

I need to do mine as well.
Old 08-22-12, 07:43 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by WIL44
Hi Mandy

Best regards
Steve
Looks OEM to me! Great job. Any detailed DIY's?
Old 08-23-12, 11:49 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by iJDMTOY
Not sure how large the opening is for the SC430 fog lights are, but if you guys are looking to do a set up similar to the one above, you can go with these:

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Hella-90mm-...tm&click=35328

2.75" in diameter and produces about 4W of power. 380 lumen per lamp, basic bracket and screws are provided, but you may need more depending on how you install it.

Let me know if anybody is interested
I am pretty sure these are the same as I used, 70mm Dia in Euro talk. lol
Old 08-23-12, 12:05 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Looks OEM to me! Great job. Any detailed DIY's?
Hi Mandy

Thanks for your comments.
If you are 'in awe' of my car, then I am in awe of Ice's !!!

I didn't do a DIY because I was not sure if it would work, but I 'think' I am happy with the result..

Removed the bumper and took out the foglights.
Sanded the back of the chrome trims till they were flat, shaped a plexiglass 'lens' and used two pack epoxy to glue it to the trim.
Made brackets to hold the lights, used the existing foglight fixing positions and spayed them with PlastiDip so you can't see them through the lens,
The bumper sweeps back quit a bit so you have to fix the lights at the correct angle.

Going to remove the trims and spray them body colour next.

Best regards

Steve

Quick Reply: LED DRL's for the SC