car having trouble starting after rainy days

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-12, 09:33 AM
bythewater
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car having trouble starting after rainy days

Hello all,

I am posting a concern as I just had some problem with starting the car after a rainy day.
I purchased a used 2004 Lexus SC 430, Pebble Beach at a used car dealership about a month ago.

I turn the key, I see the the lights on the dashboard, but the car did not start immediately. I had to try a couple of time until it started. My heart almost dropped. I went to a repair center and they say they cannot find the problem because it was fine when I brought the car.

Strangely enough, the problem was only after rainy days. On sunny days, it's fine.

Did anyone had an experience similar to mine? Any advises? I am so happy to take my little SC around, but I am so scared that this will happen again and I will be stuck somewhere. Also, I just purchased the car, and I am afraid all the money is going to be a waste (that would really hurt).

Thank you! Lexus forum is awesome! Especially for a female driver like me who doesn't know anything about cars. I gained already so much knowledge.
Old 04-28-12, 12:45 PM
rogzballz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing I would check to see if the battery terminals are tight or corroded, clean them because sometimes moisture can prevent the connection from working well. Second, Ignition coil, spark plug wires to see if those should be replaced or not. Third, water in your gas tank? Check trunk for water, try dry-gas to remove any water from your fuel.

Good Luck.
Old 05-01-12, 08:44 AM
bythewater
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks

great advise. I am not a car friendly person, I will go back to the car dealership to check all those. Although, I will as though it is hard to really trust them.
Will let you know if something comes up!

Thanks again!
Old 05-01-12, 09:52 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

last time a member had troubles after rainy days it turned out some of the weather sealing on the window/door was bad and letting some water into the passenger foot area, which is where the main ecu is on a sc300/400. the car also ran badly so thats probably not the issue, I would check the battery and alternator out first at the dealer or parts store.

You have a sc430 though so the same things may not really apply, so Im going to move your thread to the sc430 section so hopefully you can get more relevant help there. Welcome to CL, and please post in the proper forum.
Old 05-01-12, 01:35 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Take the car to the Lexus dealer and ask them to run it thru their car wash a few times to check if it has any water leakage or starting issues.