SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Hail Damage!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-12, 04:01 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

How are they gonna repair the body panels? If they are gonna bondo every panel, the car is toast. It will crack and fall off in the future.

You would almost be better off if they totaled it instead of doing a bondo based repair. They need to do paintless dent repair when possible or install new body panels when not possible.

Again sorry for your troubles - very sad to see.
Old 05-03-12, 04:59 PM
Stuntman22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant imagine the cost of replacing every body panel. Its gotta be in the stratosphere....I would imagine my insurance company telling me to pound salt. Unless you got Lloyds of London or something?

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
How are they gonna repair the body panels? If they are gonna bondo every panel, the car is toast. It will crack and fall off in the future.

You would almost be better off if they totaled it instead of doing a bondo based repair. They need to do paintless dent repair when possible or install new body panels when not possible.

Again sorry for your troubles - very sad to see.
Old 05-03-12, 05:04 PM
Stuntman22
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone dealt with an insurance claim lately? After I received the quote from the body shop yesterday, the guy who gave me the estimant told me that the insurance company will probably only offer me about half of what I was quoted and that I should accept that amount, take it to the body shop, and they will be able to make the insurance company cover the rest of the bill when they're finished with the work. He said the reason that I should do this is because insurance companies cannot, by law, make you go to a certain shop to get your car repaired. This sounded kind of odd to me. Is this accurate information? The body shop is very requitable and I can't imagine that they would risk their reputation to cheat me out for a few thousand bucks.[/QUOTE]

I lost my 2010 Chevy Camaro SS in Hurricaine Irene last August. She had Passaic River water over the seats in the car. They gave me full market value plus taxes. I was real happy.
I have NJ Manufactures Insurance.
I remember when I filled out the application years ago. It was like a novel. I got the check in about 8 days.
Good Luck with your claim.
Old 05-03-12, 06:02 PM
t119
Rookie

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Check out this PDF for the insurance rules for your state: Rules for collision repairs - State by State I think your guy gave a partially correct answer.
Thanks for the link!
Old 05-03-12, 06:50 PM
EddierRo
Driver

When my previous SC430 was damaged by hail a few years ago the insurance co did the same thing. It appears that they write the estimate for significantly less than actual cost and supplement the difference once the car is in for repairs.
Old 05-04-12, 07:32 AM
t119
Rookie

Originally Posted by EddierRo
When my previous SC430 was damaged by hail a few years ago the insurance co did the same thing. It appears that they write the estimate for significantly less than actual cost and supplement the difference once the car is in for repairs.
In this day and age, most people get their insurance checks and don't use the money to fix their cars. I was told that is the reason that the insurance companies don't give you the complete amount is because most people simply take the money and run and the insurance companies are never contested for not paying the bill.
Old 05-09-12, 03:34 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of years ago we had an unusual hail storm in the Washington DC area and my SC was damaged with about 50 plus dents of all sizes. Insurance sent a rep to my home who figured cost by size and number of dents. He wrote this up and issued a check for about $1,900 which I took to Lexus dealer who had arranged to have my car done by their paintless dent removal person (from Dent Wizard I think). This guy had done PDR on SCs so knew the issues with the panels and seams (which they have to get behind to do PDR). He spent an entire Saturday on my SC and the cost was a few hundred over insurance check. Called insurance and they issued me a supplemental check to make up the difference.

But best part is my SC looked like nothing had ever happened when he was done. PDR is the way to go - it was amazing. I thought my girl would never be the same and she came back perfect!!

BTW - my older Acura coupe also was damaged in same storm and the insurance quote was off by about $1,000 but after Acura dealer did PDR insurance once again paid the difference.

My advice is go PDR with someone who has done it on SCs.
Old 05-09-12, 03:49 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Good to hear that PDR can work.
Old 05-10-12, 06:43 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had door dings taken out of my SC with PDR - accessed through window glass slot, no drilling. The results were simply astounding, and I'm a fussy one.

Kelly
Old 05-10-12, 08:01 AM
JPBJR
Rookie

I live in Denver and recently had about 8 door creases taken out by this method. Looks like new!