SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

IS to SC

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-12, 10:52 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IS to SC

Hello all in the SC430 section!!! I have been lurking for a couple of weeks now, reading all the stickies up top, and thread surfing trying to get all the info I can on what is most likely going to be my next car!! So far I have just about all the info I need about what to look far as far as problems go. One thing I haven't really seen, after a couple of searches, is any feedback or comparing the SC to IS. I know they are pretty different cars, and from my test drives I can tell they are VERY different power wise. I just wanted to see if anyone has any feedback who owns both an IS and SC, or has had an IS and transitioned to the SC and the differences or things that really stood out to them between the two. Any feedback would be appreciated, hopefully if all goes well I'll be trading in my 2008 IS250 and hop into a CPO 2002 Twilight Amethyst Pearl/Ecru SC430 in a week!! Thanks in advance!
Old 05-02-12, 11:15 PM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

I don't believe there's any such animal as a "2002 CPO". Simply put, it's too "old" to meet Lexus' requirements for the "coveted" CPO label. Anything more than six years old, or having more than 70,000 miles " is rejected.". With that said, there are aftermarket vendors who still sell extended warranties for these cars.
Beyond that, I can only offer this thought... Other than the extremely limited trunk space, you won't be disappointed. While I have not "owned" an IS, I have driven them. The SC is superior in many ways. However, if you are thinking of moving from a 08 to a 02, you will be disappointed with the very limited audio electronics in the 02 model.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 05-02-12 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-02-12, 11:49 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
I don't believe there's any such animal as a "2002 CPO". Simply put, it's too "old" to meet Lexus' requirements for the "coveted" CPO label. Anything more than six years old, or having more than 70,000 miles " is rejected.". With that said, there are aftermarket vendors who still sell extended warranties for these cars.
Beyond that, I can only offer this thought... Other than the extremely limited trunk space, you won't be disappointed. While I have not "owned" an IS, I have driven them. The SC is superior in many ways. However, if you are thinking of moving from a 08 to a 02, you will be disappointed with the very limited audio electronics in the 02 model.
Ahhh you are right it's not a CPO, the Lexus dealership on the paperwork says "certified Lexus resale" so fancy wording for we did all the maintence.
I am aware of the electronics downgrade, however I have many plans for the sound system, so I'm not to worried. I'm just very happy to be able to stick with Lexus, can't beat the quality and reliability. Thanks for your response, made me recheck the paperwork and find that fancy wording!
Old 05-03-12, 05:48 AM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A 2008 trade will only get you a 2002 SC430? Wow I am surprised.
Old 05-03-12, 06:40 AM
donnieS
Driver School Candidate

Here's a quick initial comparison. We own a SC430 and IS350.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...omparison.html

I'm finding that the SC430 is more comfortable on longer drives, but that's just my opinion.

ds
Old 05-03-12, 07:27 AM
VVTiBob

Originally Posted by IcEnPinKi
He's right especially since the 2006 was a mid-cycle refresh to the SC. However, if you have plans for your own audio electronics upgrades it may not be important. But you would be giving up other improvements.

CPO cars come with bumper-to-bumper warranties for 3 years or to 100K. What do you get with "certified Lexus resale"? Or are they just intended to confuse the buyer into a sense of security? If it's the latter, I'd use their "deceptive language" to negotiate a lower price for an aftermarket extended warranty if you have concerns. While my 02 purchase was a PP sale, I had the car inspected prior to purchase at a dealer and then negotiated a price for a 4 year extended warranty, which already paid for itself in two years.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 05-03-12 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-04-12, 02:38 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by donnieS
Here's a quick initial comparison. We own a SC430 and IS350.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...omparison.html

I'm finding that the SC430 is more comfortable on longer drives, but that's just my opinion.

ds
Exactly what I was looking for, thank you!
Originally Posted by IcEnPinKi
Not quite, my needs have changed so two doors is more practical right now which is why I'm trading in the newer car, I'm getting money back from the dealership for the 2008 IS either towards warranty or straight cash.
Originally Posted by VVTiBob
He's right especially since the 2006 was a mid-cycle refresh to the SC. However, if you have plans for your own audio electronics upgrades it may not be important. But you would be giving up other improvements.

CPO cars come with bumper-to-bumper warranties for 3 years or to 100K. What do you get with "certified Lexus resale"? Or are they just intended to confuse the buyer into a sense of security? If it's the latter, I'd use their "deceptive language" to negotiate a lower price for an aftermarket extended warranty if you have concerns. While my 02 purchase was a PP sale, I had the car inspected prior to purchase at a dealer and then negotiated a price for a 4 year extended warranty, which already paid for itself in two years.
It is purely to deceive the buyer into a sense of security, I am definitely going to use it to negotiate, and as I did with my IS I'm definitely purchasing an extended warranty. Like I said above my needs have changed, I'm not to worried about getting the pre mid cycle refresh model (pre 2006). I've been modding my cars to make them fit my needs for years so updating lights and the sound system doesn't even bother me. I'm going into the stealership tomorrow to see how it goes. I will also be having it inspected by a third party mechanic to make sure warranty or not it runs correctly. Thanks again for the feedback and advice.
Old 05-04-12, 03:04 PM
VVTiBob

Good luck....let us know how it turns out. I am curious to know!
Old 05-05-12, 05:09 AM
KBALL
Pole Position

Nice choice. Have an 03 tap myself. 180K miles. You might miss the extra space for people, groceries, hauling stuff etc. ANd if you don't plan on going top down the majority of the time id say it may not be perfect...but...a really wonderful car w top down and NO RUN FLATS.

I'd also warn that the early sc430 seats dont recline quite far enough which makes long roadies a little tough on my back. But the interior is so luxurious. Oh...and the soft leather does make me kinda sweaty too on longer drives...but almost all leather seems to do that in my case.

All in all for me it makes a perfect 2nd car.
Old 05-06-12, 12:32 AM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KBALL
Nice choice. Have an 03 tap myself. 180K miles. You might miss the extra space for people, groceries, hauling stuff etc. ANd if you don't plan on going top down the majority of the time id say it may not be perfect...but...a really wonderful car w top down and NO RUN FLATS.

I'd also warn that the early sc430 seats dont recline quite far enough which makes long roadies a little tough on my back. But the interior is so luxurious. Oh...and the soft leather does make me kinda sweaty too on longer drives...but almost all leather seems to do that in my case.

All in all for me it makes a perfect 2nd car.
Thanks for your feedback, after my second test drive today I really adjusted everything to my liking, the seats recline far enough for me I'm 6'0" so not to tall. I love how smooth and solid it feels not to mention how much more responsive the brakes are. I checked the speakers and the other problem areas mentioned in the sticky and it checks out, as well as the carfax and mechanic inspection. I'm pretty much sold, it's down to negotiating at this point.

Last edited by NorCalIS; 05-06-12 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-06-12, 03:53 AM
donnieS
Driver School Candidate

I'd say the brakes on our SC430 and IS350 are about the same as far as responsiveness. I just got the SC430's worked on and they are as attentive as the IS350. The difference you judged could be age/maintenance.

That's my thought, anyway,

ds
Old 05-06-12, 10:00 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by donnieS
I'd say the brakes on our SC430 and IS350 are about the same as far as responsiveness. I just got the SC430's worked on and they are as attentive as the IS350. The difference you judged could be age/maintenance.

That's my thought, anyway,

ds
I have the is250, which has smaller brakes than the is350, which is probably why I noticed the difference. Good to know the is350 brakes back up all the power!
Old 05-07-12, 04:04 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Look at my sn. Theyre both great cars and are two different cars. Youre gonna mis the newer tehnology though on a 02 sc thats about it.
Old 05-08-12, 04:01 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for all the feedback guys, after two days of negotiating the dealer just wouldn't give me what I wanted, so for now I'm going to stick with the IS. I will continue to look around, and hopefully return to this in a couple months. Thanks again guys.
Old 05-08-12, 04:23 PM
VVTiBob

Sounds like a wise move to me...there are lots of SCs to be found and conquered. Good luck with your quest. From your description of the dealer's tactics, I question their ethics.

Quick Reply: IS to SC