SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2012 RADIO UPGRADE w/Steering Wheel Controls

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-13, 01:49 AM
Idaho430
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently nobody is watching this thread anymore. I asked a question several posts up and never got an answer either. I'm really on the fence about leaving my '02 radio stock or jumping in with the original poster's mods.
Old 09-29-13, 05:38 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Idaho430
Apparently nobody is watching this thread anymore. I asked a question several posts up and never got an answer either. I'm really on the fence about leaving my '02 radio stock or jumping in with the original poster's mods.
Right after Bob put a pioneer in his SC, I did the same in my 02. No regrets and am happy I did. Mine was the top of the line pioneer with Bluetooth (phone), a much better navigation, and Internet radio. I've posted many times about my experiences. It is one of the best mods along with Luxlink.
Old 09-29-13, 07:51 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how do you alternate or send video to the top monitor? Is that the beatsonic doing it or a combination of the beat sonic and a head unit that is capable of sending split signals?
Old 09-30-13, 06:59 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I did the mod that Bob describes and I could never go back to the stock radio. Very happy. But the screen is impossible to read with the top down and the sun shining in from the back. I can live with it.

I believe the Beatsonic responds to the Mode button on the steering wheel to switch between screens? I wired mine to do this, but used an inferior RCA plug that loosened up in the back - and I'm not going back in! But since I don't use a backup camera, no big deal.

It should fit the unit is a double DIN (I didn't have to dremel anything), unless I misunderstand.

Last edited by kjcole; 09-30-13 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-30-13, 08:31 AM
UGAALF
Rookie

Originally Posted by Solman
Right after Bob put a pioneer in his SC, I did the same in my 02. No regrets and am happy I did. Mine was the top of the line pioneer with Bluetooth (phone), a much better navigation, and Internet radio. I've posted many times about my experiences. It is one of the best mods along with Luxlink.
I have a 2002 and it is one of the few that does not have navi. Will the fact that it has no navi function create difficulties? Anyone have a suggestion of what would be the best unit to install, considering I am just looking for a stereo upgrade, hopefully with satellite radio option? Finally, any ideas on a good installer in the Atlanta area?
Old 09-30-13, 05:35 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

i think one guy on here did something with the beatsonic and did not have Navi. Beat Sonic told me that the head unit needs to support multiple displays for everything to work correctly. I will look into the Pioneers available right now and see which one works. I know Ive seen Alpines that work like this.
Old 09-30-13, 06:08 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Looks like I am going with the Pioneer AVIC Z150BH
Old 10-01-13, 07:24 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you've checked with Beatsonic already.

But here the needed Beatsonic for 2002-2004 specifies Nav:

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/stereo/s...c-mva-12l.html

Just making sure.

Last edited by kjcole; 10-01-13 at 07:27 AM.
Old 10-01-13, 02:45 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

for those of you that used to have the Navtool...or still do. Should I re-wire my back up camera to work with my new head unit or should I leave it hooked up to the Navtool. I guess the only draw back of wiring to the new HU would be the back up camera being on the bottom screen rather than the top correct?
Old 10-01-13, 07:28 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by robertrios
for those of you that used to have the Navtool...or still do. Should I re-wire my back up camera to work with my new head unit or should I leave it hooked up to the Navtool. I guess the only draw back of wiring to the new HU would be the back up camera being on the bottom screen rather than the top correct?
I rerouted my camera to run off the new head unit after seeing how much better the nav is with the new head unit. I no longer use the factory nav and usually keep the door closed. The pioneer has a lot of features that our 12 year old nav does not have. My favorite is traffic. Also I keep the stereo door open and it makes it easier to use the back up camera. I would also consider which door is typically open. The camera won't do you much good with the door closed.
Old 10-01-13, 07:43 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Yea well I am still going to use the top display using the dual zone video feature on the new head unit...we will see how much use it actually gets. It might end up being one of those things that sounds awesome at first but is never practical.
Old 10-20-13, 11:06 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

I was able to do the install on my own, it was easy enough. Left my nav tool in for the back up camera to show on the top screen. Also I could not get the beatsonic AV input into the stock screen to work so I simply hooked up my rear monitor output from the Pioneer Z150BH to the 2nd Navtool input and its the same result. Picture quality is good, steering wheel remotes work as advertised, I feel that the sound quality sounds better with the new EQ on the new HU which is multiple band. BT audio is awesome with pandora and DVD is great. Nav is way better. Need to go back in to make the unit more flush my woodgrain door sticks up a little bit vs stock and I am going to use a hidden powered antenna that will remain in the dash instead of the OEM antenna. I will post my results on that.
Old 10-22-13, 05:56 PM
GJP
Driver School Candidate

Default Navigation screen replacement

Has anyone ever thought of, or tried replacing the SC430 navi screen with a tablet like apple, windows or android?
I just replaced my ML stereo with a Kenwood navi unit that does everything. As a result, I don't need the original navi, so I'm using it as a monitor for movies and a dashcam I put it. All thanks to a $400 miracle wiring harness.
Now I'm thinking I'd like to replace the original screen because of the bad resolution.
Thoughts?
Thanks!
George
Old 10-28-13, 09:48 AM
stevies30
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Many people are using their iPad mini or something similar. There are some great looking customized dash mounts available which allow you to just slide it in or out. Search these forums or do a google search and see what you come up with.
Old 10-28-13, 12:07 PM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you output the Nav to the factory nav screen?

Is it possible to run Nav up top and music interface below?

Quick Reply: 2012 RADIO UPGRADE w/Steering Wheel Controls