SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Anyone Using Aftermarket HID Bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-12 | 07:59 AM
Yes

Default Anyone Using Aftermarket HID Bulbs?

Has anyone replaced their regular low beam bulbs with aftermarket bulbs? I'm curious if they last at least a few years. And if they look the same as OEM. My passenger side bulb went out and Lexus quoted me $250 for the bulb, plus $110 in labor to replace it.
Old 06-04-12 | 08:24 AM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

I just put in Philips Ultinon 6000k in mine, can't really comment on longevity but they look a bit more white/purple than stock. The cut-off line is almost purple, and the rest of the light is a nice white. I really like them, but you have to watch out for fakes, NigelJDM on these forums hooked me up with mine.

I think they were around $250 for the pair (D4S)
Old 06-04-12 | 10:12 AM
cyberlexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
Has anyone replaced their regular low beam bulbs with aftermarket bulbs? I'm curious if they last at least a few years. And if they look the same as OEM. My passenger side bulb went out and Lexus quoted me $250 for the bulb, plus $110 in labor to replace it.
New HID bulb will not look the same as the older one, in terms of color output. So I would recommend replacing both if you want them to look the same.
Quoted price is high, and installation is not difficult. Try our vendors
Old 06-04-12 | 11:22 AM
iolmaster
Racer

I replaced mine about 4 months ago with Philips D4S. They are $50.86 from Amazon. When I took the OEM bulbs out, guess what. They are Philips D4S. Identical bulb down to the item number stamped on the bulb. I have an 06 so pre 06 may be different. No reason to pay that at the dealer. You are just getting a Philips bulb in a Toyota package.
Old 06-04-12 | 12:51 PM
Yes

Originally Posted by iolmaster
I replaced mine about 4 months ago with Philips D4S. They are $50.86 from Amazon. When I took the OEM bulbs out, guess what. They are Philips D4S. Identical bulb down to the item number stamped on the bulb. I have an 06 so pre 06 may be different. No reason to pay that at the dealer. You are just getting a Philips bulb in a Toyota package.
How hard was it to replace them? I've read some people say they dropped the bumper to get access.

Also, if anyone can confirm this is the right bulb for an 02, I'll go ahead and get them from Amazon.
Old 06-04-12 | 01:23 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
How hard was it to replace them? I've read some people say they dropped the bumper to get access.

Also, if anyone can confirm this is the right bulb for an 02, I'll go ahead and get them from Amazon.
Amazon Amazon

The 02 is a D2S not the D4S. The link above will take you to the Amazon page. I can't speak to replacing the 02. I did an 06. There is a difference. I did mine without dropping the bumper cover. I have small hands and I took my time. There is information available about how to drop the bumper cover to get at the back of the fixture.
Old 06-04-12 | 02:12 PM
Yes

Thanks. I just ordered them. Unfortunately, I have big hands. If all else fails, I'll hire a midget.
Old 06-05-12 | 05:52 AM
tfischer

I have not replaced my headlights, but I have just replaced almost all of the interior lights on my SC and RX with white LEDs, and the difference is quite nice, as these lights are much brighter and much whiter, which is especially nice in the dome and storage areas of the RX, and in the trunk of the SC. Highly recommended. I am going to try to replace my backup lights next, as backup lights are always too dim.
Old 06-14-12 | 01:08 PM
Yes

I couldn't find a midget. So I gave up and paid Toyota to replace them. They had to drop the bumper to do it. They charged $100 to replace both. Lexus wanted $245.
Old 06-14-12 | 04:15 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

I ordered the 6000k HID's from iJDmToy. I dropped the bumper because I was changing all the other lights to LED's. The HIDs look great but its too early to know longevity.
Old 06-17-12 | 11:14 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

IJDM toys sold me several bulbs that lasted less than three months. A very expensive mistake when you have to drop the bumper to replace them. They do not stand behind their products and subject you to a lifetime of spam.
Old 06-19-12 | 12:07 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
IJDM toys sold me several bulbs that lasted less than three months. A very expensive mistake when you have to drop the bumper to replace them. They do not stand behind their products and subject you to a lifetime of spam.
I'm sorry to hear that. We have a 90 day warranty from the date of purchase, if a item fails due to manufacturer defects within that time period, it will be replaced for free. All the customer needs to do is send back the item so we can test it first and use it for credit to claim for warranty items with our manufacturer at the end of the year.

Deposits are available for customers who don't want to work on the car, a deposit is put down, the replacements are sent out and a the deposit is refunded once the defective bulbs are received.

We stand behind our products very well and we still provide support passed the warranty period, but if you are out of the warranty period, we simply cannot provide a free replacement as unfortunate as it sounds. If you feel that being passed the warranty period and asking for a free replacement is "not standing behind" a product, then so be it.

If you want to unsubscribe from our "spam" aka newsletters, you can easily do so by clicking the "Unsubscribe" link on the bottom of the newsletter and that's all.

Again, I apologize for any inconvenience you may have had with us regarding your purchases. We've sold many, many, many D2C and D4C HID bulbs to many happy customers in our 8+ years of business, it is possible that you may have gotten a bad couple of bulbs, but it is definitely not a common problem that we encounter with our HID lights.
Old 06-19-12 | 03:54 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

I will say that my D2C's are older than 3 mo. and still fineI had a quick burn-out of one the yellow halogen Fog bulbs I purchased and it was replaced with no problem. I also was able to return for credit bulbs I ended up not using.
Old 06-23-12 | 10:27 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Replace is not the problem when you have to drop the bumper to change them. Flickering with the extra anti flicker module and quick burn outs are very disappointing. I was looking for quality products and in my experience that is not what you sell. Two bulbs flickering and burning out is not reasonable. Switched to sylvania and no problems. I stand by my warning to the board.

Slvbullet. Still reports one quick burnout. To be fair has anyone had a good set of bulbs from this vendor?

Last edited by KaiserSea1; 06-23-12 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-24-12 | 06:29 AM
tfischer

"has anyone had a good set of bulbs from this vendor?" Yep! Right here.
I replaced every light in my SC and in my RX with LEDs from iJDMTOY. The work and fit perfectly, shed much more light and burn very cool. I had a problem or two and the company was very responsive and helpful in getting me the right lamp.
Highly recommended.

Quick Reply: Anyone Using Aftermarket HID Bulbs?