SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Thinking of SC430 purchase want some expert advice.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-12, 07:58 PM
KYColonel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of SC430 purchase want some expert advice.

Hi all, I've been using this site to help me find out alot of good info about a 2002 SC430 that i am possibly going to buy. I've read the "sticky" about buying an SC and found alot of good info about back seat capacity, run flats, and driving in snow by searching. I would really like to get your opinions about the particular car I am looking at. I live in Northern KY and across the river in Cincinnati is a car dealer(not Lexus nor any other brand) called The Auto Livery that has been around a long time and specializes in upscale cars. They have a 2002 SC430 with 37,000 miles, the runflats no spare, and the back scoop. Black with a Saddle interior and although I haven't test driven it I looked at the outside a few days ago and it looks to be in excellent shape. If anyone wants to view it just search for TheAutoLivery and search their cars. They are asking $26,995. No warranties I can see. What do you think of this price? What should I offer? This being a Lexus is it even worth paying for any type of 3RD party warranty? Would love to hear all your feedback if you can spare the time. Thanks in advance.

PS- Clean 1 owner Car Fax shows original owner for 10yrs 1mo. in West Virginia then a dealer 2mos. in WV and finally the above dealer in Ohio for 4mos.

Last edited by KYColonel; 06-06-12 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-06-12, 08:10 PM
JPBJR
Rookie

Too much money for a 02! Check Craigslist and Autotrader and you will find more affordable options. Good luck. I recently bought my 04 with 40K for 21000$.
Old 06-06-12, 08:59 PM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

The price is at least 11k too high, for an 02. Have you checked into the car's history? You can find dealer maintenance history online.. While the car may only have 37k on it, that is NOT the only measure. Time counts too. For example if it hasn't had it changed already it needs a timing belt replacement...that job at a dealer will cost >1K alone. If you ad other components, e.g. a water pump you're talking mo money.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 06-06-12 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-06-12, 09:01 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't own an SC 430 but I have been looking at them. That price seems extremely high, even if it does have extremely low mileage. Be patient and keep looking
Old 06-06-12, 09:12 PM
KYColonel
Driver School Candidate

Thxs JP & VV for the quick response. VV I'm aware of timing belts being changed at i.e. 100,000 miles, are you saying that it needs it replaced at 10yrs regardless? I searched this forum and found a site to enter the vin # and got service records that weren't that helpful. Records til 2005 showed 1,000 and 5,000 services at dealer and some misc. service til 20,000 miles then nothing til 2011 33,000 miles at same dealer with some misc. Nothing for 6yrs and only 13,000miles. No 15,000 nor big 30,000 services. Don't know what to make of this. Used non Lexus shop? Didn't do services?
Old 06-06-12, 09:15 PM
KYColonel
Driver School Candidate

Thxs Varsity I'm thinking that also. Looked online for 300miles and can't find a deal like JPBJR.
Old 06-06-12, 09:16 PM
VVTiBob

Looking at the history of the car there is a six year gap....while that alone isn't a reason to disqualify it, it makes you wonder who was servicing the car. In addition, in October of 11 there is a notation of "front rear body" hard to tell what that was. No record of major maintenances at 30, 60, or 90k miles OR there corresponding time equivalents. Additionally, I would not be surprised to see a 10 year old DVD mapping disc.... That alone is an $150 upgrade.
Old 06-06-12, 09:58 PM
husker741
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just saw a 2002 at my local Lexus dealer with only 4k miles go for that price. Like they all said, wayyyy too much. You could buy a higher mileage 2006 for almost that price and get all the upgrades.
Old 06-07-12, 05:33 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

With a records gap that large, I would triple check to see if the mileage is accurate (i.e. if the reading on the odometer is "authentic"). One obvious reason why an owner would avoid bringing the car in for service at a legitimate place (such as a dealer) would be if there are shenanigans going on with the mileage. While it is a crime to do this, I've seen investigative reports on television about "small time" used car dealers being involved in this type of business. It's very sad indeed. Look for other signs of wear on the car.
Old 06-07-12, 05:42 AM
KYColonel
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Jason I will certainly poke around to see how "used" this car seems. As to the timing belt issue I found a owner's manual online that says to change it at 6yrs/72,000 miles so VVtiBob was spot on. This info is really helpful whether I buy this one or keep searching for a better deal, so please keep it coming. Thxs
Old 06-07-12, 05:54 AM
tfischer

Received 220 Likes on 163 Posts

I have a black '02 with just about that same mileage (but with the ecru interior), and I have had all work done at the local Lexus dealers, and, as much as I want its value to be high, I agree with the comments above that the asking price on this car is too high. For that kind of money I think I could find a newer SC that had some of the (slight) upgrades that were added later, such as bluetooth. I'd pass on that car and keep looking.
Old 06-07-12, 06:31 AM
VVTiBob

I suppose I'll add this. If the 26k figure is comfortable then look for the "newest" car with a reasonable amount of miles on it. When I say newest, I am referring to model year. As Husker mentioned in 2006 Lexus did the did the mid-lifecycle refresh on the car. In fact, cosmetically 06 was the only real change with with new head and tail lights and a refresh to the nose. But when you add changes to transmission, dashboard, and other electronics/technologies it became a improved car. Then in 09 the outside mirrors were modified and it final year,10, the electronics were refreshed once again.
So unless there is some other reason you have not shared for wanting an 02 over a refreshed 06 or greater. I suspect most people would be more satisfied with the refinements of the mid-cycle refresh.
Old 06-07-12, 06:38 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

If you have budget to go to $27-30k you are better off with a moderate mileage 06. The 02 is a 10-11 year old car and time does age these cars particularly if they have been driven in winter salt roads.
Old 06-07-12, 06:46 AM
tfischer

Received 220 Likes on 163 Posts

Also note that the changes made to the car over the years were mostly to details and some electronic upgrades, like the bluetooth. The cosmetic changes to the exterior are very minor; I've had my car from the beginning of its run, and I notice them whenever I see them, and the changes are not noticeable to anyone but a serious SC aficionado (some of whom even know which colors were available in certain years). The change to the tail lights is the only one that can be noticed from more than 10 yards away, due to the white backup light incorporated into the red brake light area. I like the newer rear lights, but that is certainly not a deal breaker. Since the engine and drive train and the interior, for the most part, remain the same, the determining factor would be the condition of the car as a whole. An '03 with low miles that has been well cared for would probably be preferable to an '09 that has been driven hard and left out wet.
Old 06-07-12, 07:06 AM
KYColonel
Driver School Candidate

I had in my head to get a later model in the $20,0000- $21,000 range. Have not test driven an SC ever so I want to test drive this one as a starting point. Will have no problem walking away from this car unless they come wayyyyyy down on price. TFischer Cincy - let me know if you ever decide to part with your SC. Also want to think about that $27,000-$30,000 price point for a 2006 or newer. Again thxs for all the opinions.

Quick Reply: Thinking of SC430 purchase want some expert advice.