SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New SC owner - radio problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-12 | 10:42 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

For those of us with luxlink, we always close our SC when unattended because it's fun! We people watch when the luxlink starts up the sc and the roof and windows go down without anyone in sight. I just can't get enough of that!
Old 07-27-12 | 04:13 AM
Juli
Rookie

We took our SC into Lexus a couple of weeks ago. They said that the radio was fine and the antenna was not original and thus could not replace it. We did find out we have XM radio. I didn't know. It seems like the FM stations come in clearer on cloudy days. We get no AM stations which is fine with me. The antenna does go up for FM stations. Any other ideas?
Old 07-27-12 | 04:14 AM
Juli
Rookie

We took our SC into Lexus a couple of weeks ago. They said that the radio was fine and the antenna was not original and thus could not replace it. We did find out we have XM radio. I didn't know. I don't like the XM so i rarely use it It seems like the FM stations come in clearer on cloudy days. We get no AM stations which is fine with me. The antenna does go up for FM stations. Any other ideas?
Old 07-27-12 | 06:55 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

I dont get this. If you bought the car from a lexus dealer as well as extended warranty and the car was driven and owned by the controller then how did an aftermarket antenna wind up in the car and even if this fact is true why will they not do the right thing and replace it I would get a letter from them telling you why they wont . Then I would send a copy of it to Lexus Corp and let them get into it. Something is missing here .

Buddy
Old 07-27-12 | 08:53 AM
barncat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mrblister
I dont get this. If you bought the car from a lexus dealer as well as extended warranty and the car was driven and owned by the controller then how did an aftermarket antenna wind up in the car and even if this fact is true why will they not do the right thing and replace it I would get a letter from them telling you why they wont . Then I would send a copy of it to Lexus Corp and let them get into it. Something is missing here .

Buddy
That was my thought when I read about the antenna issue.
Old 07-27-12 | 09:04 AM
lunaC42
Driver

I use both a Blackberry and an Atrix (Android) without problems with reception. Does sound like a loose lead or something else that is causing electrical interference. The SC stereo should sound magnificent no matter what mode.

No problem with frequent top down/up. Its a Lexus, it will never break.

I wouldn't leave the top down unattended for the same reasons others have said. People have no respect. A friend of mine just had her Porsche keyed...again.
Old 07-27-12 | 09:20 AM
Habious
Pole Position

I had a similar issue with my CPO SC430.

A few months after purchase, I discovered that the windshield leaked (but only when I took it through a high-pressure car wash).

I took it to the dealership to get it fixed. Took them 6 days to resolve it (that's a whole 'nuther story!)

But, at one point, they came back to me with "The windshield is an aftermarket windshield...and it's not covered by the CPO warranty."

Turns out that yeah, the fine print in the CPO warranty clearly states (on page 23, para 7, sub para (b)) that "aftermarket or non-Lexus parts are not covered by this warranty" (this is sarcasm/hyperbole - not a direct reference to the warranty contract).

My thing was, how was I supposed to know that one (or more) parts on the car were replaced at some point with non-OEM parts?

I got very lucky. I made a lot of noise and, "upon checking into it further" they decided that "The windshield IS a Lexus windshield, it just had been replaced at some point in the car's life (by a non-Lexus dealer)." So, since it was an OEM part, it WAS covered under the warranty.
Old 07-27-12 | 09:43 AM
lunaC42
Driver

I'm very surprised and disturbed to hear people have had trouble with their individual dealerships. This is the stuff you hear for domestic cars...but Lexus???

Leap frog your dealership and go directly to your regional managers. This is the kind of stuff that led to the ES350 crash and the whole Toyota recall debacle. They need to know about it at a higher level.
Old 07-27-12 | 10:30 AM
Habious
Pole Position

My situation was frustrating but, I can also see both sides.

What's the dealership supposed to do?

A) Take every CPO car apart, down to individual components, to identity (and declare to potiential buyers) which parts are OEM...and which aren't.

B) Have a warranty that forces them to pay to replace defective parts that they (and the parent company - Toyota/Lexus) didn't even make?

"A" obviously isn't a realistic option. And, while they could do "B", they'd have to price things accordingly (aka, the cost of the warranty and/or the final price of the car would be higher)
Old 07-27-12 | 11:34 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

I see your point, However since this I believe was a car purchased from the controller of a lexus dealership I am taking a leap of faith here in thinking it was a one owner car and that the controller must of known or should of known if the windshield was replaced . The fact that the controller works for the dealership unless there is and extenuating circumstance now known here . The dealership has some explaining to do . How does an aftermarket windshield wind up in a CPO car.

What am I missing
Old 07-27-12 | 12:36 PM
Rookie

Default Re: Insurance (Warranty) Coverage for Non-Lexus Items

Unless it's a "major" item ("I know 'em when I see 'em") the costs for maintenance and replacement of non-Lexus parts are already priced into the insurance product. Given the number of policies issued and the number of parts that are covered, that's the only realistic way that insurance (which is what a warranty is) can be priced.

The consumer is essentially already paying for the coverage (assuming it's not one of those "major" parts) and although it's expressly excluded, it's well worth grinding the warranty company/dealership about it before you give up.

It's not unusual for contracts to have provisions in them that literally apply to a given situation, but if tested by real litigation would not be upheld.

I don't have an axe to grind here. That's just the way it is in the insurance market place.

Give it a try...all they can say is "no." Who knows, you might win!

Mike

Last edited by 73446; 07-27-12 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-27-12 | 04:30 PM
Juli
Rookie

It was the antenna that was replaced not the windshield. I was told another antenna would probably not fix the problem.
Old 07-27-12 | 06:19 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Default Which Antenna

Originally Posted by Juli
It was the antenna that was replaced not the windshield. I was told another antenna would probably not fix the problem.

The rear antenna was replaced !! There is also an antenna embedded in the front windshield. So what is Leuxs explanation for why the radio is not working right, Did they tell you the antenna was aftermarket. I am really getting confused .