SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

roof drive motor failed

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-12, 05:24 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Glad to hear it is getting fixed. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 06-28-12, 05:56 PM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

I see they installed a...what did they call it...automatic identification label...in other words a RFID antenna. Did they talk to you about it before they installed it? We just had a thread about this new tracking systems at dealers a few weeks ago. My only concern is about how much data they store about you i.e. ID and credit info. But I do believe they should discuss it before installing it, especially if they intend to leave it.
Old 06-28-12, 07:04 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

More than likely, the RFID won't be anything other than just an identifying number for them to recognize the car by. All their records will still be kept in the dealership's computers.
Old 06-28-12, 07:53 PM
sebtown
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RFIDs are like a facebook for cars, I just wonder who they are giving "status updates" too?
Old 06-28-12, 08:57 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think they work more like a "Toll Tag"
It identify the vehicle and calls out any record from the dealers information base and notify internally to the specific service adviser that you have arrived for your appointment or a visit without appointment.
It only make your specific service adviser easier to identify who you are and what were your previous visits were about, and if you had made an appointment, what are you in for.
Personally, I don't think it's a bad thing to have such a device in the car. It does make the whole process of you staying at the dealership more efficient and shorter
Old 06-29-12, 12:38 PM
dbcolli
Rookie

Update,.. The car is perfect the top even sounds better and stronger going up and down then before.
I was able to get the old parts. I could not be happier with the dealer and how we were treated. We had the loaner car an is250 for a week as well..
Old 06-29-12, 01:15 PM
barncat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dbcolli
Update,.. The car is perfect the top even sounds better and stronger going up and down then before.
I was able to get the old parts. I could not be happier with the dealer and how we were treated. We had the loaner car an is250 for a week as well..
Was the second dealer a Lexus dealer? Same area as first?
Old 06-29-12, 03:36 PM
dbcolli
Rookie

The two dealers are about 80 miles from each other. I am almost tempted to let dealer #1 know how this all turned out as I told them I was taking it to the other dealer. but I decided not to.as they have already lost my future business.." screw me once shame on you "
Old 06-29-12, 06:28 PM
barncat
Lead Lap

Sounds like you made the right decision. I would just forget about using the first dealer for anything.
Old 06-30-12, 06:14 AM
spddemon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dbcolli
What do you think the root cause was? The motor must be built for only a certain amount of cycles. The wife and I are considering purchasing a 06-10 sc430. What was the total repair cost?
Old 06-30-12, 08:05 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spddemon
What do you think the root cause was? The motor must be built for only a certain amount of cycles. The wife and I are considering purchasing a 06-10 sc430. What was the total repair cost?
Roof issues are fairly rare. Roof motor issues are very rare. So I really doubt that the motor reached the end of its cycle count. There are a lot of '02 owners who drop their top every chance they get and have never had issues.
Old 06-30-12, 11:51 AM
dbcolli
Rookie

The out the door charge was $1624. I still feel this is one of the best cars built. Things can go wrong and I Think ths was a very very rare occurence as very few reports of top failure have been reported on this site. This is the only repair I have had since I have owned this car...
Old 10-10-12, 08:54 AM
Idaho430
Rookie

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Sounding more and more like, or similar to, Johnny's roof problem, an intermittent bad, or worn out out switch. The trick will be to isolate it.

Same fault code (B2504) just read at my local Spokane, WA dealer on our 2002. We took it in because the roof just started to intermittently work. When it does hang up it is always when opening the roof from it's closed to the windshield position. The trunk will lift, package tray starts to move, etc. but then right when the roof is set to lift off the windscreen it stops and the red light comes on the switch. The dealer said he ran all the switch/relay diagnostics and they are sure it is a "dead spot on the motor." Quoted $1500 to fix (why the huge discrepancy between dealers...I mean some here are saying $5K-8K...WTF?) The motor is $837, the rest is labor. Can't see how that would ever wind up being $5K.

My question for the group is would an electric motor with a dead spot work intermittently? If I should be looking elsewhere (switch as VVTIBob) says above, I certainly will.

For me, If I have to buy a motor I will get one in the used/salvage market. No way I'm paying $837 for it. With some careful Googling I have already found a few for $200 or less at various places across the country.

Could a Toyota dealership install this thing? Wondering if there is any money to be saved on labor.
Old 10-10-12, 09:37 AM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

Toyota dealer could because the both use TIS as the resource for installation and instruction. The Lexus dealer MAY have some prior experience but not necessarily since these types of failure are few and far between. I'd ask them about there history of successful repair jobs for this part. On the other hand, if it matters, you will be getting a loaner from Lexus, you'd have to rent one from a Toyt dealer.
Old 10-10-12, 09:49 AM
Idaho430
Rookie

The unanswered question for me still is would an electric motor with a dead spot work intermittently?

Last edited by Idaho430; 10-10-12 at 10:02 AM.

Quick Reply: roof drive motor failed