SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New bushings!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-12, 08:33 PM
mdpuff
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New bushings!

Well I finally got around to installing the new poly bushings in my car and what a difference! Much tighter and the steering wheel isn't trying to pull out of my hand going over rail road tracks & bumps, nice and solid! This is the best upgrade you can do to your SC! Now the story, I made the mistake of letting my head mechanic knock out the old bushings and install the new ones. He didn't look very close at the opening of the strut bars and on one when he went to press the bushing in it got tore all to hell on the sharp edge of the bar. I was "Not" a happy camper! As the old saying goes, if you want something done right, do it yourself! Anyway, E-mailed TM Engineering a couple of times and even faxed them to see if they would sell me just the one bushing and they didn't even respond so I had to order another complete set to get the one bushing. Now I have a set of bushings I don't have a use for, less one strut bar bushing. I just smoothed the sharp edge of the bar opening with a die grinder and the bushing pressed in like a dream. Also had the guys in my shop sandblast and paint all the control arms while I had them off. I then did my own alignment to "My" spec's so I've got close to 0 camber front and rear so I shouldn't have any tire wear issues. The car rides the same as it did before but the steering is much tighter. I love it! So do I recommend the urethane bushings? You bet, great improvement, just wish they made them for the rear too!! So if anybody is in need of a set of bushings and thinks they can get one strut bar bushing to complete the set let me know, got enough stuff cluttering up my garage.
Old 06-28-12, 06:26 AM
JPBJR
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What will you sell them for? Thanks
Old 06-28-12, 09:34 PM
mdpuff
Driver

Well they cost me $158.00 to ship to Canada but I can't expect to get anywhere near that for them, especially when one bushing is missing. They are normally $99.00 plus shipping. As it stands right now, make an offer plus shipping and maybe we can make a deal!
Old 06-30-12, 06:25 PM
momssc
Driver

What bushings does it include? Pics?
Old 07-01-12, 09:25 PM
mdpuff
Driver

The bushings are a complete set, ( less one strut rod bushing ) for the upper & lower front control arms. There are 4 lower control arm bushings, 4 upper control arm bushings and only one strut bar bushing. Sorry don't have any pic's but let me tell you, what a difference in the feel of the steering, nice and tight and no wobbling over bumps and rail road tracks. Couldn't be happier! Just wish they made them for the rear.
Old 07-02-12, 03:23 PM
Jefff1
Driver School Candidate

Where do you order them from? Thanks
Old 07-02-12, 04:08 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tmegineering
Old 07-02-12, 06:53 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds good, can't wait to install the Daizen bushing that I got from Robertrios.
Old 07-03-12, 03:13 AM
Jefff1
Driver School Candidate

Is there any rough guide as to when the stock bushings need to be replaced? I have an 03 with 50k in mileage
Old 07-03-12, 08:33 PM
mdpuff
Driver

As far as the ride goes there isn't anything different. The reason I changed my bushings was that the stock bushings are designed to have allot of flex supposedly to give a smooth ride. That being said with the stock bushings I noticed when ever I went over bumps or rail road tracks the front wheels felt like they were wobbling shaking the steering wheel and my car only has 48 k on it . There was nothing wrong with the old bushings but let me tell you, it's a night & day difference! There is no noticeable change in the ride, but now when I go over tracks with the new bushings the steering is solid! No more wobble or steering wheel shake, feels much tighter than before!
Hope this helps.
Old 07-03-12, 09:01 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

i changed all my bushings except the rear sway bar and the UCA bushings at 12k but I have an 04. The ride seems to be more stable but I also have a TRD sway bar up front and wider rims/tires than stock now. Overall it feels like the car should have been designed this way. Still soft and plush but just feels like your more planted. Its expensive if you pay a shop to do all your bushings so unless you do it on your own I would definately wait until you have signs of them going bad or do the TRD sway bar first and see if that helps enough for your liking.
Old 07-03-12, 09:02 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

forgot to mention the TRD front sway comes with its own bushings I used those which is why I had an unopened set that I sold to Grabber, I thought about doing the rear sway bar bushings but I am still hopeful for a rear sway solution so I figured Id let it be for now.
Old 07-12-12, 06:18 PM
Matthias
Driver

Tried to order bushings from TM Engineering today and was told Daizen bushings are no longer available. They also don't know about any alternatives. Am I out of luck or are there other suppliers for the bushings? Please let me know.

I am looking for the steering as well as the control arms
Old 07-12-12, 07:11 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

oh wow I guess I jumped on that just in time, Daizen has been out of business for awhile so TME has probably just been selling their inventory. I am surprised they even contacted you since they never do when people order or ask about sway bars. Sewell sells the OEM bushings and I saw some comperable to the Daizen as far as material goes on ebay however I cant vouch for their quality.
Old 07-12-12, 08:03 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

The steering rack bushings made a big difference on my SC. It never had the shakes but it really made the steering feel tighter with less play in the wheel. I got mine from tmengineering but Sewell sells them as well. Very easy install. My 05 has 51K on the clock and the OEM steering bushings were about shot. I have the Daizen LCA poly bushings but haven't installed them yet.

Quick Reply: New bushings!