SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

rim/tire questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-12, 12:43 AM
taisho
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rim/tire questions

I've been looking around for some rims/tires for my whip and I was talking to a guy at a wheel/performance shop and he said that if I wanted to stick with RFT (which I do), that I couldn't do 19" rims because for whatever reason 19" RFT are the hardest out of all of them to mount on a 19" rim and he said there's a high chance of them scratching it. Is this true? To me, it seems like all RFT's would be difficult to mount?

And what are some opinions on XXR? Dragwheel? Tenzo-R? I've searched the net and I've gotten mixed reviews on durability. I'm not planning to do any suspension upgrades and I wanna keep the car mods to a bare minimum as I've run into a lot of problems in the past with my previous car.
I'll be doing mostly city driving and I don't wanna hit a pothole and end up wrecking my car or both my car and someone elses.

But these pie plates really have to goooo...any reputable wheel companies y'all can throw at me?
Old 07-01-12, 04:52 AM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

You should add, "tire sidewall aspect" to your decision making analysis. Especially if you have major potholes to deal with. While run flat tires have thicker sidewalls, tire aspect also protects the car and the wheels from the damaging affects of poor roadway condition. Here's an explanation of tire aspect from tire rack:

Sidewall Aspect Ratio

Typically following the three digits identifying the tire's Section Width in millimeters is a two-digit number that identifies the tire's profile or aspect ratio.

P225/50R16 91S

The 50 indicates that this tire size's sidewall height (from rim to tread) is 50% of its section width. The measurement is the tire's section height, and also referred to as the tire's series, profile or aspect ratio. The higher the number, the taller the sidewall; the lower the number, the lower the sidewall. We know that this tire size's section width is 225mm and that its section height is 50% of 225mm. By converting the 225mm to inches (225 / 25.4 = 8.86") and multiplying it by 50% (.50) we confirm that this tire size results in a tire section height of 4.43". If this tire were a P225/70R16 size, our calculation would confirm that the size would result in a section height of 6.20", approximately a 1.8-inch taller sidewall.
While low height or low profile tire may look "cool" they offer little protection to the wheel and the ravages caused by pounding of potholes not to mention the SC430 suspension which has its own alignment and unusual tire wear issues.
When I picked up my 02 in Sept 09 it still had the OEM wheels...two were bent. The previous owner also had changed the RFTs for regular tires but chose smaller profiles for their look. But then failed to change the driving habits. Besides the bent wheels, the tires were worn to the steel cord on the inside edge, an indicator of alignment/camber issues too. (The suspension had no alteration to it.)
Just something to consider as you are searching for new tires/wheels.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 07-01-12 at 05:03 AM.
Old 07-01-12, 05:47 AM
barncat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an 03 a couple of months ago which had RFT's. Drove it home 700 miles and hated the feel of the RFT's. When I went to switch to regular tires I found that 2 of the 4 OEM rims had cracks so I went with aftermarket rims. I really think the run-flats caused the cracks. I now have 18" Conti Extreme DWS and love the way the car feels and handles. I also had the cambe radjusted more toward 0. My rims are Touren TR60's.