SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

new 2004 sc430 owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-12 | 06:06 AM
stasis3131
Lead Lap

Default new 2004 sc430 owner

been on the lexus forum for a while now. started out with a is250 thats modded and added a 2004 sc430 to the collection last week. since buying the car last week here is the mod list

swapped the rims to 20inch 2piece rims with tires 20x8.5 front and 20x10.5 rear
swapped all the interior light to leds
added 6k hid fog lights
tinted windows
pioneer double din nav/ alpine mrp 300 amp/ fiber glass 8 inch box being built
led parking lights
led lic plate lights
led reverse lights
magnaflow exhaust custom
did clear side marker light diy mod
ordered megan coil overs/will install after i fix the shakes issues
bought another members body kit (lyyca) should be here in 3 days. awesome guy to deal with

i spent about 8 days just using the search to find out info instead of asking alot of repeat questions. i got 90 percent of my answers. the main 2 questions i had are below. if anyone can help it will be much appriciated

1. i want a roof spoiler but paying 550 is insane to me for something that is pretty much just for looks. wanted to know if there are any options besides the 2 main roof wings that are like 550 new or used lol. i figured used they would be like 250-300 or so. i dont even mind if its a rep wing.

2. i have the similiar shakes that everyone talks about with the sc430 around 50ish to 60mph or so. i was going to order the control arm bushing kit. i saw a member in here named bon had it done and it cured the issue. i figured since i was at 102k its probably time. if anyone else has suggestions let me know and is that daizen bushing company still in business.

i am going with the idea its the bushing cause i have put 4 different sets of rims and tires on the car and the issue is the same. so 4 sets of rims possible couldnt be balanced wrong

i look forward to chatting with you guys and sharing any knowledge i have with lexus or cars in general
Attached Thumbnails new 2004 sc430 owner-photo-1.jpg   new 2004 sc430 owner-photo-2.jpg   new 2004 sc430 owner-photo-3-2-.jpg   new 2004 sc430 owner-photo-4-2-.jpg   new 2004 sc430 owner-photo-5.jpg  

Old 07-13-12 | 06:16 AM
JPBJR
Rookie

Wink

Good looking car. Welcome.
Old 07-13-12 | 06:28 AM
tfischer

I like the fairly rare dark blue, and I like the wheels that are on the left side of the car better than the wheels on the passenger side. I don't recall that I've seen a car with wheels set up this way, but, upon reflection, I wouldn't notice that very often, would I?
Old 07-13-12 | 06:35 AM
stasis3131
Lead Lap

lol i the rims in the first pic come on the car. i took those off for the ones you see on the passenger side . just got them in yesterday. but all 4 rims are the same in each pic. i wanted something with a better offset. and i wanted a mulitpiece rim. the ones that came on the car in the first pic are pretty cheap.
and thanks for the compliment
Old 07-13-12 | 07:28 AM
tfischer

I don't know what a multipiece rim is, but if you have different wheels on the right and left sides of the car, you can decide what impression you want to make upon your arrival, and and then drive down the street in the appropriate direction.
I have no such flexibility.
Old 07-13-12 | 07:55 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Awesome this is what your car will look like after the kit, i had a shake also which I thought was the front spacers but when I took them off it was still there so I replaced all my bushings with the Daizen upgrades and also added a TRD sway bar in the front. The combination of everything left my car alot tighter and virtually vibration free. However Daizen has long been out of business and from what I hear TME just sold their last bushings that they had in old inventory. Sewell sells replacements but they are just OEM replacements. If yours are truely bad then this will help, mine were replaced and my car only had 12k miles however it is an 04. The bushings I replaced were:

LCA
Steering Rack

I did not use the UCA bushings that came in my kit and sold them to another member. I also never used my sway bar bushings since my TRD sway bar came with bushings (also sold these to another member). I could have used the rear sway bar bushings but I decided against it.
Attached Thumbnails new 2004 sc430 owner-outback.jpg  
Old 07-13-12 | 08:07 AM
cyberlexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stasis3131
i spent about 8 days just using the search to find out info instead of asking alot of repeat questions.

I think the member who solved the steering wheel shaking issue replaced his steering rack bushing.
Old 07-13-12 | 10:45 AM
stasis3131
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by robertrios
Awesome this is what your car will look like after the kit, i had a shake also which I thought was the front spacers but when I took them off it was still there so I replaced all my bushings with the Daizen upgrades and also added a TRD sway bar in the front. The combination of everything left my car alot tighter and virtually vibration free. However Daizen has long been out of business and from what I hear TME just sold their last bushings that they had in old inventory. Sewell sells replacements but they are just OEM replacements. If yours are truely bad then this will help, mine were replaced and my car only had 12k miles however it is an 04. The bushings I replaced were:

LCA
Steering Rack

I did not use the UCA bushings that came in my kit and sold them to another member. I also never used my sway bar bushings since my TRD sway bar came with bushings (also sold these to another member). I could have used the rear sway bar bushings but I decided against it.
Thanks for the pic. Gives me something to look forward to
And I was thinking they sold out of bushings I hope I come across another company that makes polyurethane . I will get the oem from Sewell if I have to. I'll also do that steering bushings also
Old 07-13-12 | 06:34 PM
johnsfe
Rookie

2. i have the similiar shakes that everyone talks about with the sc430 around 50ish to 60mph or so. i was going to order the control arm bushing kit. i saw a member in here named bon had it done and it cured the issue. i figured since i was at 102k its probably time. if anyone else has suggestions let me know and is that daizen bushing company still in business.

i am going with the idea its the bushing cause i have put 4 different sets of rims and tires on the car and the issue is the same. so 4 sets of rims possible couldnt be balanced wrong

i look forward to chatting with you guys and sharing any knowledge i have with lexus or cars in general

I too have this problem and thought it was just me. I just bought my 2005 SC June 13. I just got my car from the shop having the amp replaced today. I asked them to check the motor mounts because we explained the vibration/shaking at 50-65 mph as well. Was told because it's a convertible, the middle section of all convertibles all have this prob. Sounded lame at the time, but let it go.

So glad I read this because now it's confirmed it's not my imagination and something totally wrong with just my SC.

If you or anyone else knows how this can be rectified, please elaborate on it. I'd like to have this corrected as well. thanks
Felicia

Last edited by VVTiBob; 07-13-12 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Bold my section
Old 07-13-12 | 08:38 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

1. Make sure your rims have no bends, look for obvious signs but the next step is when youll really find out.
2. Road force balance tires, very important that its a road force balance.
3. Steering rack bushings, Daizen made an upgrade but OEM replacements might do the trick.
Old 07-13-12 | 10:01 PM
stasis3131
Lead Lap

I did that road force balance same results. And my rims are brand new no dents and they are high dollar 2 piece rims. Gonna do the bushings with oem stuff cause I can't get the daizen ones :-(
Old 07-13-12 | 10:12 PM
johnsfe
Rookie

Don't want to sound foolish...but whats a road force balance?? Can I take it to any tire/wheel shop and request to have this done?

I have had the wheels balanced and aligned within past two weeks with no changes. They also inspected tires for tread and leaks. They also took out air to try and make the ride better. And they aren't RFT's either.

I guess as you've stated, if this "road force balance" doesn't help me, then I'll need to look for someone to change steering rack bushings??!!
Old 07-13-12 | 10:57 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

There are different machines used to balance tires/wheels most places use the old school spin balance where they drop weights on, some consider this to be an acquired skill. There are more sophisticated machines that use lazers as well as the hunter road force balancing machine which simulates the tires on the road versus a free air spin if I am not mistaken. Needless to say its more percise and can eliminate more vibrations. My Lexus dealer has this machine and so does my local Firestone. Just call and ask what type of machine they use to do their balancing.
Old 07-13-12 | 11:30 PM
johnsfe
Rookie

I will definitely ask for this to be done before looking to replace bushings. In the short span that I've had my car, I've had so much work that had to be done, it's almost discouraging. But when I do drive it, the elation comes back. But this sucker is getting expensive..lol! But thanks for this info.

Oh and OP, didn't mean to hijack your thread with all my concerns. It's just the first I've heard someone mention "the shakes" and I didn't know this was a known problem.

Your new SC is very very nice. Congrats. Beautiful blue!
Old 07-14-12 | 12:31 AM
stasis3131
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by johnsfe
I will definitely ask for this to be done before looking to replace bushings. In the short span that I've had my car, I've had so much work that had to be done, it's almost discouraging. But when I do drive it, the elation comes back. But this sucker is getting expensive..lol! But thanks for this info.

Oh and OP, didn't mean to hijack your thread with all my concerns. It's just the first I've heard someone mention "the shakes" and I didn't know this was a known problem.

Your new SC is very very nice. Congrats. Beautiful blue!
No problem on the hijack I want everyone that has the shakes to get the cars fixed. I had asked for road force balance but maybe I didn't get that cause don't remember any lasers or nothing. So he might have got me lol. Gonna try a firestone or discount tire to see about getting it done. And I hope it resolves your issues also. I have spent a ton on mods but not much on the car cause I did all the mods and maintenance DIY . But you are correct on this car being a joy to drive and thanks for the compliment. I love the deep. Blue

Quick Reply: new 2004 sc430 owner