Search this Thread

Old 07-22-12, 12:35 AM
Turboo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation auto height control level system problem

Hi all,

This time I have a strange problem!!!!!
Simply when I start my car, immediately the lights go down and then up as usual.
However, the passenger side head light points little upper the driver side headlight!!!!
when I drive the car both headlights are going up or down according to the street and functioning normally but still the passenger headlight is little higher than the other light
!!!

Any ideas why this is happining
?
Old 07-22-12, 06:55 AM
tfischer

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts

I'm not as curious about your headlights as I am about why your question is centered.
Any ideas why that happened?
Old 07-22-12, 07:18 AM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

Using the "Go Advanced" instead of the "post quick reply" button gives you access to more word processing tools such as text alignment.

Turbo; is the height adjust subtle, or gross? Is your car left hand drive? _____/-------- does it look similar to this if you were to shine you lights on a flat wall about 8-10 meters away?
Old 07-22-12, 10:09 PM
Turboo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tfischer
I'm not as curious about your headlights as I am about why your question is centered.
Any ideas why that happened?
No idea at all!!
Old 07-22-12, 10:25 PM
Turboo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Using the "Go Advanced" instead of the "post quick reply" button gives you access to more word processing tools such as text alignment.

Turbo; is the height adjust subtle, or gross? Is your car left hand drive? _____/-------- does it look similar to this if you were to shine you lights on a flat wall about 8-10 meters away?
Hi Bob,

the height is subtle. My car is imported from USA so yes it is left hand drive.
Yes it looks exactly as you say.
- I start the engine the lights are _____/_____ then it goes ------/------ then it levels it self but the passenger side headlight stays a little above------/``````
the deference is minor. However, when people look to my car they notice that the passenger side headlight is shining to their eyes little bit more. I also notice the marks on the street when driving that the passenger side headlight is pointing higher.
No error in the dashboard.
Yesterday i tried the screw that manually adjust the light and tried leveling it manually but still I feel something wrong
Old 07-22-12, 10:49 PM
VVTiBob

It's designed that way. The left hand light is lower to reduce glare for drivers of on coming vehicles. The best way to check alignment is to take it in and have the lamps tested and aligned by machine.
Examples of headlamp alignments

Last edited by VVTiBob; 07-22-12 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-23-12, 12:04 AM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

It is the cutoff line required by regulations, so you won't blind the oncoming traffic.
Old 07-23-12, 12:44 AM
ser67
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is great timing, because maybe someone can answer my question :

I live in the UK, where we drive on the left of course, and taking the SC to France & Spain next month, where they drive on the right.

Current EU regulations state that we must 'fix' the headlamps in order not to dazzle oncoming drivers.

In some other cars I've owned there was a small mechanical switch that can be moved behind the lights to adjust the lights for right or left side of the road driving.

I'm guessing my lights are "------/____" and really need them either "____/____" which the black tape over the lamps will do or better still "____/------"

I have heard it said that Xenon lamps on many EU models distribute a wider "____/____" pattern and require no adjustment when travelling in countries on the other side of the road - but i've no evidence.

My question is - does the Lexus (mines an '02 model) have a 'switch' of some sort ??
Old 07-23-12, 01:18 AM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ser67
This is great timing, because maybe someone can answer my question :

I live in the UK, where we drive on the left of course, and taking the SC to France & Spain next month, where they drive on the right.

Current EU regulations state that we must 'fix' the headlamps in order not to dazzle oncoming drivers.

In some other cars I've owned there was a small mechanical switch that can be moved behind the lights to adjust the lights for right or left side of the road driving.

I'm guessing my lights are "------/____" and really need them either "____/____" which the black tape over the lamps will do or better still "____/------"

I have heard it said that Xenon lamps on many EU models distribute a wider "____/____" pattern and require no adjustment when travelling in countries on the other side of the road - but i've no evidence.

My question is - does the Lexus (mines an '02 model) have a 'switch' of some sort ??
Since I have played with both JDM and USDM headlights on my SC430, I know that cutoff line can't be switched sides.
Also, JDM ones can have up,down side to side adjustments separately while USDM ones come with a adapter plate to limit the beam adjustments to up/wide or down/narrow only.

If EU regulations had that requirement before 02, your sc might have a manual switch on the headlight to switch the cutoff line.
If not, the hid cutoff shield inside the headlight needs some modification in order to meet that requirement.
Old 07-23-12, 01:45 AM
ser67
Rookie

Thats a shame - looks like its gonna be some black tape then
Old 07-23-12, 10:16 PM
Turboo
Pole Position

It's designed that way. The left hand light is lower to reduce glare for drivers of on coming vehicles. The best way to check alignment is to take it in and have the lamps tested and aligned by machine.
Examples of headlamp alignments
I understand what you saying and agree to it. However, that was not the case since I bought the car!! Both lights where matched exactly and pointing on the level always!!
This problem happened recently only?!
Old 07-24-12, 06:36 AM
VVTiBob

Well that may be the way you remember it....but your North American car was setup by the factory to meet the specification and regulations we've described.
Nonetheless, that's not saying your right hand headlamp has not worked its way out of alignment over time. I suppose it can happen. If others are complaining of headlight glare from your car's headlights, the safer path to follow is to have them checked by a technician with the proper testing tools, rather than eyeballing it.
Old 07-24-12, 10:21 PM
Turboo
Pole Position

Well that may be the way you remember it....but your North American car was setup by the factory to meet the specification and regulations we've described.
Nonetheless, that's not saying your right hand headlamp has not worked its way out of alignment over time. I suppose it can happen. If others are complaining of headlight glare from your car's headlights, the safer path to follow is to have them checked by a technician with the proper testing tools, rather than eyeballing it.
Thank you
I will take it for test @ Lexus workshop soon.
Old 07-25-12, 08:36 AM
ser67
Rookie

If it helps, I got a phone call from Lexus UK yesterday, after my query on driving in Europe, and they said the following :

"The set up of the headlamp is such that the light shines in a horizontal flat beam which our technical team are confidant will not require deflectors. However unless checked the vehicle may have a small amount of kick up that can dazzle the drivers of oncoming vehicles. Therefore we would recommend that you contact your local Lexus Centre to check if your vehicle requires the headlamps adjusting. "

This is similar to many other xenon lit vehicles I've read about in the UK (RHD) and across the EU (LHD), and means providing my car is as per UK spec I'll be okay.

Interesting.....