Beautifying my lexus

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-12, 11:15 AM
terrymate
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beautifying my lexus

Hello All,

I have lexus 430 sc. I'm happy with it but would like to modify it as it came from stock.

1) What advise do you have to add or modify the stock of the car coming straight from showroom.

2) What RIMS should I use or is available and where to get? Does this mean I will need to change tires. Currently, I think it is 18inch. Should I go 19inch, what's the pro/cons.

3) The sound is quiet, smooth and nice. I would like to have some exhaust or power sound when I accelerate? Is there an exhaust system you recommend. Also, does this mean if the car is not on sport, there will be no sound, but once I hit or slid the sport, then the sound will come out. I prefer to be able to control when I wish to have the loud exhaust sporty sound.

Any advice is welcome too
Old 08-10-12, 11:48 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What's your budget?
Old 08-10-12, 12:44 PM
terrymate
Driver School Candidate

Nothing specific really - i'm looking for options to pick but mostly is a good exhaust system with control of when to make sound and when not, so that way I can control when kids and family inside my car of loud sound in the road.
Old 08-10-12, 02:49 PM
Yes

For sound, your best bet might be a cold air intake. It sounds the same as always under normal driving. But sounds like a beast when you really step on it. It's also much cheaper than doing the exhaust.

For wheels, there's a pretty drastic difference in price and quality. I would personally avoid cheaper wheels, as they have a lot of problems with vibrations. There are midrange wheels for about $2,000 that are ok, but not great. Then you can get into JDM wheels that are awesome, but expensive. They can run over $4,000 plus tires for 20" wheels.

If you go that direction, you'll also want coilovers or lowering springs. Springs are much cheaper, a few hundred dollars, but don't provide as good of handling. Coilovers can run anywhere from about $900 to over $2,000.

As far as wheel sizes go, 20" wheels look the best in my opinion, but they give you less sidewall and as a result less air to ride on. So the ride is rougher than 19" or 18". That said, it's still smoother than 18" wheels with runflats.
Old 08-10-12, 05:35 PM
terrymate
Driver School Candidate

For sound, anything that can be controlled is what I'm looking for. I know some cars have a button/switch that enables/disables the sound of the car. The reason why I'm looking for such a setup is to ensure the sound is nil when my family are in the car with me, but BEAST when I'm alone and throttle over the car. Is this something available for lexus?

I tried seaching for cold air intake. Is there a site or place I can hear the sound of the car with it. What's the side-effects of such a setup.

Yes I would go for expensive rims. I dont mind that. I am due to changing my tires soon. What size shall I opt for and what rims. Again, any side effects with drive, stiffness, performance, etc. I dont like rough drives.

Does this mean the smaller the inch (currently I have 18), the better the drive it is?

Thank you
Old 08-10-12, 07:01 PM
Yes

Most of us with cold air intakes have Injen. Search "Injen cold air intake sc430" and you'll find it. They claim there's a performance gain, but I personally don't think that's the case. I bought it only for the sound.

As far as I know, there are no exhaust systems you can control with the push of a button. It really sounds like the cold air intake is the way to go for what you're looking for.

18" wheels will give you the smoothest ride. The larger the wheels, the better the handling though. Less sidewall gives you tighter handling though corners. The roads where I live are fairly bad and I don't have any problems on 20s. But if you want a smoother ride, 19s might be better for you.

Some good brands to look at are Work, Weds and Auto Couture. Take your time looking. You might change your mind which style you prefer like I did. Also, you want to make sure you get the correct offsets once you find the wheels you like.

Another way to make your car stand out is with a body kit. I have the Auto Couture full body kit. But there are a few really nice ones out there.

This thread is a good place to start looking for wheels.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...d-threads.html
Old 08-10-12, 08:42 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Terrymate, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your acquisition.

One thing that will help the folks here point out potential mods is for you to tell us what year your car is and we always welcome pictures of the cars from new (and old) owners. The picture may help also.

Be sure to check out the various stickies at the top of the forum home page as you will find all sorts of useful information there, including repairs and mods.
Old 08-11-12, 01:42 AM
terrymate
Driver School Candidate

I would like to know more about the “Auto Couture” and definitely I’m interested to body kit my car provided it’s an addition and not a change. For example, I won’t remove a part just to replace with another part (waste of part already in the car) but I’m ready to add a part so it looks nice. Is that possible? Can I see pix of your car with body kit btw.

As for the inject, is there types or specific model/version that I need to buy, or it’s a standard type for lexus that I need to look for. Please guide me the exact link and place so I can start reading about it.

Furthermore, I had a borla sting exhaust with xpipe on my corvete few years ago, I did love the sound, but after 2 years, I removed it, as it was annoying sometimes as I cannot talk to a person in my car so as the loud gets in my head sometime when I need quiet drive and smooth feel. Although I miss the sound, but the question is:

1) Does the inject have loud sound that when I throttle, the next cars or cars surrounding me would see and feel a powerful car is passing by?
2) Does the inject sound also inside the car, as in outside the car. For me, if I can get the sound only outside the car, then it’s plus point, so inside is cool.

Thanks for guidance all.
Old 08-11-12, 07:56 AM
tfischer

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

Why not look into that system that some of the Hybrids have that generates an engine sound when the car is backing up slowly on electrical power only? If you are like me and care mostly about appearances, then this would be an inexpensive problem solver (even though many of us don't think that a quiet car is a "problem" to be solved).
Old 08-11-12, 09:48 AM
Yes

Here are a few shots of my kit. It does replace the entire front and rear bumpers, but I wouldn't consider it a waste of your existing parts. My original bumpers are boxed up in my garage. I'll swap them out and sell the kit separately when I sell my car. As a general rule, no one will pay what your mods are worth when you resale your car. It's better to keep your original parts and change them back.

The main advantage of the body kit is it dramatically changes the look of the front of the car. I literally can't go anywhere without getting compliments. People complimented my car before the kit, but not nearly as much.

The other advantage is if you go with 20" wheels, it balances the proportions of the car better. The kits are lower to the ground. 20" wheels look slightly too large without a kit.

The disadvantages are body kits will scrape on steep driveways because they are lower to the ground. That and they're made out of fiberglass, so a minor bump can do major damage.

An alternative is a lip kit. They attach to your existing bumpers and add a couple inches. The disadvantage here is they don't change to look of your car nearly as much. The most popular lip kit is made by Wald. But there are a few others out there.

As far as the cold air intake, I believe this is the correct part. 2006 and newer models use one less hose than earlier models. So you would have to plug the extra hole. It's a fairly easy install. It took me about an hour and I'm not really a do it yourself person to begin with.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/2002-2003-l...02&filterid=g2

The difference between this and doing the exhaust is the sound is generated in the engine compartment. Under normal driving, you won't hear a difference. But when you stomp on it, you hear a roar, particularly with the top down. The typical reaction I get from friends is something to the effect of, "holy sh-t.."

Last edited by Yes; 08-11-12 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-11-12, 10:00 AM
tfischer

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

I'm not crazy about the wheels, as I like something with spokes, and wish I had some nice wheels, but I love the extra lower part of the front end. That really dresses it up and gives it a more masculine look. I'm not sure about the flying june bug in the center of the grille, but it certainly adds an Asian flair.
I would think it would sell readily as is.
Well done, Mr. Liquid.
Old 08-11-12, 10:52 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love Liquids SC including the June bug. I have that too and on the airbag and back of the front headrests. There's a good history with the early SC430's as well as with emblems. It is actually not a June bug or a griffin which has a head of a bird.

(from LiquidSC

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...nt-emblem.html)

It was the emblem for Mark the Engangelist and is the National Emblem for Venice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:15...le,_Venice.jpg

There a tons of threads here re. Wheels and body kits. Read the stickies - you will get lots of ideas. Congratulations and have fun. This is a fantastic forum for a fantastic and fun car.
Old 08-11-12, 02:06 PM
Yes

I only had the griffin on there for a day. I liked the way it looked, but prefer the cleanness of having it de-badged. Haven't had a chance to take any pics without it.
Old 08-13-12, 01:11 PM
terrymate
Driver School Candidate

An alternative is a lip kit. They attach to your existing bumpers and add a couple inches. The disadvantage here is they don't change to look of your car nearly as much. The most popular lip kit is made by Wald. But there are a few others out there.
Tell me more about a lip kit and can you show me an example? I might really not make any change for I feel it would not make any difference then. However, what about I change only the rims along with tires? Will that make a big wow factor.

The difference between this and doing the exhaust is the sound is generated in the engine compartment. Under normal driving, you won't hear a difference. But when you stomp on it, you hear a roar, particularly with the top down. The typical reaction I get from friends is something to the effect of, "holy sh-t.."
Does this mean under normal driving, no sound at all, but under throttling, is the beast sound pretty much as what a exhaust system in sport car would sound? I dont want the annoying sound or vrroomroomroomroom while driving in normal drive with my wife and children in car but YUP I want the super sound when I accelrate. Is that what air intake does? if yes, which particular and what type exactly shall I look for as I believe there are many types and styles and version of an air intake..?
Old 08-13-12, 02:21 PM
Yes

Originally Posted by terrymate
Tell me more about a lip kit and can you show me an example? I might really not make any change for I feel it would not make any difference then. However, what about I change only the rims along with tires? Will that make a big wow factor.
Here's a link to a member's car with the Wald kit. This is an '02, so the stock bumper is different than yours around the fog lights, but it gives you an idea. Basically, it extends your bumpers and side skits a couple inches lower to the ground.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-pictures.html

In my opinion, a kit is really only necessary if you go to 20" wheels. If you go with 19" wheels, you don't need a kit to balance the proportions.

New wheels make a huge difference, especially if you get high quality rims. One thing to keep in mind is if you do go to aftermarket wheels, you'll likely want to install coilovers as well.

Stock suspensions don't have a very good stance. There's too large of gap between the top of the tires and fenders. Especially in the rear. With coilovers or lowering springs, you can lessen that gap and even out the front and rear.

One other thing to keep in mind is the style of aftermarket wheels. If you go with an open face wheel, you'll be able to see the brakes. Stock brakes on our cars are an eyesore. You'll notice in Aquanuke's pictures that he added a big brake kit. They look awesome, but are expensive. If you go with a full face wheel, you don't have to worry about the brakes.

Does this mean under normal driving, no sound at all, but under throttling, is the beast sound pretty much as what a exhaust system in sport car would sound? I dont want the annoying sound or vrroomroomroomroom while driving in normal drive with my wife and children in car but YUP I want the super sound when I accelrate. Is that what air intake does? if yes, which particular and what type exactly shall I look for as I believe there are many types and styles and version of an air intake..?
Yep. Under normal driving, it sounds exactly like your car does now. You won't notice a difference. But when you floor it, it's night and day different. The only problem is the sound can be addictive and your gas milage may suffer as a result.

Quick Reply: Beautifying my lexus