HELP - loud buzzing sound from dash

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-12, 06:08 PM
vipergts
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - loud buzzing sound from dash

Hi All,

I have recently started to hear (at frequent intervals) a loud buzzing sound that can best be described as a phone vibrating/buzzing while its on a table. The sound happens every few minutes and is pretty annoying. It seems to be coming from around the navigation area or glove compartment - i cant pinpoint it. I turned off the radio and AC and the sound is still present. My Navigation Wood cover has been STUCK for a few months (doesn't come out and shut nor tilt) but not sure if that is the cause here. Any suggestions or help appreciated. What can be causing this sound?
Old 08-21-12, 07:48 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 411 Likes on 360 Posts

What kind of buzzing sound is it? Could it be the cover or tilt motor coming on?
Old 08-21-12, 10:46 PM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

There is a history on the wood trim piece on the door. I believe there is even a TSB on it too, if memory serves.
Old 08-22-12, 05:28 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Can you tell us the duration of the sound? Is it always the same length before it stops on its own? That's a clue and might tell us whether it is the cover motor cycling to close the Nav door.

Originally Posted by vipergts
I turned off the radio and AC and the sound is still present.
If you kill the ignition, does the sound immediately stop?
Old 08-22-12, 08:05 AM
vipergts
Rookie

Hi - sound comes on every 5-10 minutes, sounds like a loud cellphone vibration, it's not always the same length but is about 1-2 seconds in length. I have not tried killing the ignition as yet.

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Can you tell us the duration of the sound? Is it always the same length before it stops on its own? That's a clue and might tell us whether it is the cover motor cycling to close the Nav door.

If you kill the ignition, does the sound immediately stop?
Old 08-25-12, 12:00 AM
jvfade
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem. My 2001 GS300 is masking this buzzing noise from the Dash area. My climate control servos used to make a noise like a rat was in the dash, but that has since gone away. Now when I start the car there is a buzzing noise that comes from the dash. It last about 15-20 seconds then goes away. The car is driving fine, and everything is working, so i'm guessing it is nothing major. If anyone has anyone info on what this might be I would appreciate it.
Old 08-25-12, 06:51 AM
barncat
Lead Lap

Now you have bees!
Old 08-25-12, 08:25 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

jvfade - same question as posed to the OP. Are your radio & / or NAV doors stuck? If so, is the sound that of the motor attempting to move the door?

Another question, what else is going on when the sound occurs? Braking, accellerating, cornering, just idling. There are functions / pumps related to each of those actions that could be your noise source and could be perfectly normal. Also, just how loud is the buzzing?
Old 08-26-12, 09:15 PM
jvfade
Driver School Candidate

Non of them Harold57, just noise which is really bothers me.
Here is the video with sound
Old 08-27-12, 04:20 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by vipergts
Hi All,

I have recently started to hear (at frequent intervals) a loud buzzing sound that can best be described as a phone vibrating/buzzing while its on a table. The sound happens every few minutes and is pretty annoying. It seems to be coming from around the navigation area or glove compartment - i cant pinpoint it. I turned off the radio and AC and the sound is still present. My Navigation Wood cover has been STUCK for a few months (doesn't come out and shut nor tilt) but not sure if that is the cause here. Any suggestions or help appreciated. What can be causing this sound?
Is your car a sc430 ? Iam bit confused, I thought your car was a sc430 ? In your profile it says its a LS 430.
Old 08-27-12, 10:22 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

That is bizarre. I still have to question whether it is the NAV or stereo door attempting to move with possible stripped out gears though. I can't imagine what else it could be unless you dropped a cellphone down the a/c vents.
Old 08-29-12, 07:04 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Did it happen when you have the AC on? I heard similar phone vibrating sound behind the dash when the AC is on.
Old 08-30-12, 10:47 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Based on what I heard in the video clip, it sounds like your driver's side frangistrand is out of alignment.

I'd recommend a full fluid rotation and an exhaust stretch. That should fix you right up.
Old 08-30-12, 11:28 AM
vipergts
Rookie

This is the EXACT noise i am hearing

Originally Posted by jvfade
Non of them Harold57, just noise which is really bothers me.
Here is the video with sound
Old 08-30-12, 11:32 AM
vipergts
Rookie

Originally Posted by Habious
Based on what I heard in the video clip, it sounds like your driver's side frangistrand is out of alignment.

I'd recommend a full fluid rotation and an exhaust stretch. That should fix you right up.
Hi Sorry but whats a frangistrand ?

Quick Reply: HELP - loud buzzing sound from dash