SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Help needed removing *rear* bumper cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-12, 09:54 AM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile [Resolved] Help needed removing *rear* bumper cover

I have a 2001 SC430 (UK) and have got a little stuck removing the rear bumper cover although I must be pretty close to completion.

Having searched these forums and finding a reply that included a good diagram, although for a 2003 model - I have done as much of that as I can. This was by VVTiBob (I think), entitled "rear bumper cover removal.pdf" which is an extract page 76-6 of "EXTERIOR/INTERIOR TRIM − REAR BUMPER COVER".

So, I've stripped out all the boot (trunk over the pond) liners, carpets etc, removed the 6x nuts from inside, peeled back the rear wheel arch splash covers on each side, removed the bolt there.

Where I'm stuck is mention of these clips (4 of these apparently).

So questions...

1. It looks like two might be underneath (at the foot of...) the rear light clusters? Confirm/deny... any instructions/tips for how to access these clips.

2. I think I have identified the other 2. On each side is; a push through clip and what looks to be a square plastic "bolt" standing quite proud. One of these is the culprit I think... probably the first one (the push through clip). However I've tried that and it doesn't make the bumper loose.

3. Is there a technique for taking the rear bumper cover off once these 4 final clips are done? IE pull down and out or, out and down etc.

Thanks for any advice help - extra marks for PDF's/Pictures/Diagrams :-)

Background:
I know it's a bit of a ***** to do the rear bumper cover and I've seen many posts saying "don't bother" or "too much effort" and "risks damage".

I have two reasons:
1. Rear parking sensors. I have 4 of these to fit and would prefer to do the drilling etc with the cover off. This is the lesser of the two reasons. To run the cable from the sensor box which will live in the boot/trunk to the dashboard area required me to take all the trim/carpets out anyway (and I'll do the rear seats too. Might make a separate post about that as I'm wondering how to remove the liner around the sun visors.

2. I've lost a Tail Pipe cover (IE the chrome trim) on one side (disappeared for good somewhere... speed-bump probably), so have taken the other off too. The "flaired" ends are quite corroded so have taken that back to good metal but have now decided to put the angle-grinder on them to take it back to the proper pipe. I will then put some after-market chrome cover/trims that have an input of 53-56mm (which the pipe is once the flaired "trumpet" part is gone). Space is quite tight hence I want the rear bumper cover off to give me room to work.

Last edited by Scarletti; 09-01-12 at 10:43 AM. Reason: problem resolved
Old 08-27-12, 11:55 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Hi Scarletti

Good to see a new member from the UK on CL, welcome..

Can't help with your questions unfortunately, but I am sure someone on here will be able to answer, especially VvtiBob or Talwang, they have both helped me lot in the past as well as lots of others.
I have removed my front bumper several times, but never taken off the rear so I will be interested to hear any answers you get.

Best regards and good luck
Steve
Old 08-28-12, 10:59 AM
R40
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Scarletti,

Have you come across the pdf link below? Pages 8 and 9 set out the detail of rear bumper removal in pictorial form and show the numbers and type of fasteners involved. Some of the info on other pages might also help. The link is to a Lexus site and instructions so should be accurate.

http://tinyurl.com/8pjzb7h

if you're nervous of a tiny url link then here's a preview link:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/8pjzb7h

Good luck

Mike
Old 08-28-12, 11:30 AM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Mike, nice one! I hadn't seen that PDF at all.

As a brucey bonus, it will also assist somewhat in my installation of a rear parking sensor system.

Your good luck wishes gratefully received :-)
Old 08-28-12, 11:40 AM
R40
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Scarletti
Mike, nice one! I hadn't seen that PDF at all.

As a brucey bonus, it will also assist somewhat in my installation of a rear parking sensor system.

Your good luck wishes gratefully received :-)
Good stuff and glad I could help. Do let us know how you get on (with pics if possible?) - it will all add to the knowledge - at some point I have to see if I can bash out and polish the exhaust chrome trims so your experience could be useful!

Regards

Mike
Old 08-28-12, 01:08 PM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting that there is a kit available (or there once was) in the UK for parking sensors. I know that in the Middle East the 2010's came with 6 sensors (4 rear and 2 front sensors) from the factory. Does anyone know if such a system exists for purchase as an accessory since we are not offered that option in North America -- I would love to add that to my vehicle (2008). If that is not avaialable, can anyone provide me with an electrical diagram for the 6 sensor system and the part number break down? Thanks

dentate
Oshawa, ON
Canada
Old 08-28-12, 01:10 PM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Well, the pictures are useful but I'm really missing the words too :-(

So, having checked out where you got that from I grabbed another (http://www.lexus-tech.eu/aimuploads/...%20EAUMC01.pdf) which is also useful and has words

I really struggled to get one of the fasteners off (described as a clip... designed by the devil!) Alas I ran out of daylight this evening but I'll restart my efforts tomorrow.

If I don't make a complete mess of it I'll take some photo's when putting it back together and write a mini-guide. Sounds like it may be useful to CL members.
Old 08-28-12, 02:25 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Well, the pictures are useful but I'm really missing the words too :-(

So, having checked out where you got that from I grabbed another (http://www.lexus-tech.eu/aimuploads/...%20EAUMC01.pdf) which is also useful and has words

I really struggled to get one of the fasteners off (described as a clip... designed by the devil!) Alas I ran out of daylight this evening but I'll restart my efforts tomorrow.

If I don't make a complete mess of it I'll take some photo's when putting it back together and write a mini-guide. Sounds like it may be useful to CL members.
Hi Scarletti

That's a great link, thankyou.
I have the two rear sensor system shown in the link and I was never quite sure if it was OEM or a Lexus 'extra'.
Also lots more detail about removing the bumper, but any pictures you can post will help if you manage to get any.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-28-12, 03:04 PM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dentate
Interesting that there is a kit available (or there once was) in the UK for parking sensors. I know that in the Middle East the 2010's came with 6 sensors (4 rear and 2 front sensors) from the factory. Does anyone know if such a system exists for purchase as an accessory since we are not offered that option in North America -- I would love to add that to my vehicle (2008). If that is not avaialable, can anyone provide me with an electrical diagram for the 6 sensor system and the part number break down? Thanks

dentate
Oshawa, ON
Canada
I've bought a cheapie off ebay. It was quite clear from browsing the listings that many UK ebay'ers are importing one of a small handful of models from China but listing them at quite different prices.

Hang on several days and if my kit proves to be a good one (it is colour matched pretty damn close... saves painting) I'll give you links, tips on install etc.
Old 08-29-12, 03:57 PM
Scarletti
Pole Position

D'oh!

Today I bit the bullet and removed the last of the fasteners. 4 bottom "clips" were made of plastic and I destroyed 1 in the process, 1 more partially damaged but the final 2 intact. Crappy design really. Also sheared a bolt head off (one of 4 securing the rear reversing lights). Many of my 11 year bolts/nuts etc are corroded so not a huge surprise.

However that bumper cover still isn't coming off. According to the diagrams (as per the above links) it is supposed to come off directly backwards (IE horizontally). I DON'T THINK SO!

I haven't forced it because I'm skeptical I have all the info. There are 6 bolts/nuts inside the boot/trunk. 4 horizontal and 2 vertical. The nuts are off, of course but the bolts are still there and don't push through (and if they did I can't see how you could reach up between the cover and bumpers/bodywork and put them back so it makes sense they ought to be retained). So given 2 bolts are vertical it's impossible to pull off the cover horizontally to my mind.

Therefore I've had to work on the exhaust tail pipes with the bumper cover in place as I am running out of time. Fairly tight to get an Angle Grinder in there but I managed it OK. I have taken pictures of this as Mike asked for some (which I'll post/write up the weekend I think, or next week).

I would still like to take the bumper cover off but it's not longer the pressing issue it was.
Old 08-30-12, 10:01 AM
R40
Driver School Candidate

sorry to hear of your troubles Scarletti. I'm wondering whether the bumper has been off before and bodged when put back?

At least you got done what you needed to. hope it passes all ok

Mike
Old 08-30-12, 10:37 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

You might check with the guys that have installed bike racks, since they surely had to remove the bumper cover to complete that task.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ck-thread.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...bike-rack.html
Old 09-01-12, 10:35 AM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Cool

@ Harold... I read those threads, thanks for pointing them out anyway... alas no help there.

However, fellow SCers I can report complete success! Scarletti 1.... Bumper Cover 0!

I decided to stop *****footing around and it was either it or me. Solution was simple in the end. As with most things... there is a sequence.... there is a "knack".

I'll photograph/guide the result when I come to put it all back together step by step for future generations. It is pretty simple in the end you'll be glad to hear.
Old 09-01-12, 11:39 AM
WIL44
Instructor

@ Harold... I read those threads, thanks for pointing them out anyway... alas no help there.

However, fellow SCers I can report complete success! Scarletti 1.... Bumper Cover 0!

I decided to stop *****footing around and it was either it or me. Solution was simple in the end. As with most things... there is a sequence.... there is a "knack".

I'll photograph/guide the result when I come to put it all back together step by step for future generations. It is pretty simple in the end you'll be glad to hear.
Hi Scarleti

Glad to hear you won the match......

Look forward to your DIY so that I can take mine off to paint the rear side markers body colour.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-01-12, 12:43 PM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Originally Posted by WIL44

Look forward to your DIY so that I can take mine off to paint the rear side markers body colour.

Cheers
Steve
There is room between the bumper cover and bodywork to re-purpose those rear side-markers for rear-facing machine guns :-)

Quick Reply: Help needed removing *rear* bumper cover