Roof Lubrication

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-12, 10:53 AM
Idaho430
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Lubrication

Hi forum,

First post as we just became new (2002 - 29K miles) SC430 owners.

We have unfortunately already had a few instances now in our short ownership where the roof would not retract properly. Had it to the dealer where they told us some of the sensors and switches were not communicating properly (?) They adjusted (free of charge) and that seemed to cure it for awhile. However, just yesterday the roof would not drop again but this time we noticed it seemed to be hanging up on the connection to the frame abover the windshield (mostly on the drivers side.) A bit of fiddling (pressure back and forth on the top of the roof and on the interior ceiling) did get it to release but I was wondering if lubrication (or lack thereof) might be the problem.

I noted that the protruding pieces on the front of the roof -See circled area in image- a J hook and a solid, straight "probe" each on either side of the roof) didn't appear to have ever had any grease/silicone spray, etc applied to them. They look to be in excellent shape but just looking at the design it would appear this is where my sticking is originating from. I can see the J hook engages a vertically oriented roller and the "probe" seems to just slip into a channel (a gude perhaps?) On the passenger side the roller was easy to move with my fingers but on the drivers side the roller was much more sticky and only budged when I really gripped it and turned hard.

Do any of these pieces require grease or spray or other lubricant to operate properly? I understand that the mechanical gears and arms, etc that support the roof need to be lubed from time to time (mine look very nice BTW) but I am unclear as to these front pieces and could not find a single reference to them using the search function.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Idaho430

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12084406@N03/7923126254/
Old 09-03-12, 11:18 AM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome! Congratz on your new car too.

Sorry to hear of your woes.... I assume you didn't buy it from a Dealer so you can't throw it back in their laps without spending cash? If it was a Dealer then insist they fix it properly.
Old 09-03-12, 11:23 AM
Idaho430
Rookie

Private party purchase. Dealer was very supportive and actually spent 3 tech hours on the car making minor "adjustments and calibrations." They did not charge us a penny for this work and let us have a loaner car the whole time (brand new 350 SUV.) The top worked perfectly when we drove off the lot but started catching in this new way the very next day.
Old 09-03-12, 11:31 AM
Scarletti
Pole Position

That's fantastic to hear in general terms, in the UK I have nothing but praise for UK Lexus dealers too.

Can you speak to someone at the Dealer who took a look, with a view to find out what they tried? There is a procedure for taking the roof off and removing it from the car (manual, 2 people, documented in the Owners Manual) but it's not exactly a first recourse and once it/s off you'd need a plan of what you were going to do next.

I've the same year as you and never had any issues with the roof so I'm afraid I can't suggest a solution apart from to say ask someone to sit in the car and go through open/shut cycles and watch very very carefully to see if you can spot any issues.

Good luck!
Old 09-03-12, 11:36 AM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Had another idea. I believe that US owners can log on to a Lexus Portal website (registration may be required) and put your VIN in. You will then be told the full service history. This may reveal historical problems... which may mean the seller misrepresented the car to you which might give you redress if it's a big problem to solve.
Old 09-03-12, 11:58 AM
Idaho430
Rookie

Yeah...checked the VIN service history before purchase actually. The car is pretty much spotless with a pristine service record.

I'm relatively sure somebody on here has to know the answer to my lubrication question. GREAT FORUM from my lurking now for a few weeks.
Old 09-03-12, 12:48 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Welcome to CL Idaho.

Not had any problems with my roof and the car is always serviced at Lexus.

There is quite a lot of grease visible at the top of my windscreen frame where the roof mechanism locks and it has obviously been applied by Lexus. You can just about see it in my picture.
Cannot tell you what sort of grease should be used, but I am sure someone will chime in and tell you, probably Vvtibob when he sees your post.

Best regards
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Roof Lubrication-dsc_1152a.jpg  
Old 09-03-12, 03:26 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any common grease will do.
Old 09-03-12, 03:34 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to the forum Idaho430 and congrats on your new acquisition.

Is that a side marker light? It looks like the previous owner did some mods to your car. What other mods did he/she make?

It sounds like you will need to free up the J-hook on the driver's side first and then grease it. I'm not sure what the proper grease to use is other than just typical body grease or possibly white silicon.

Harold
Old 09-03-12, 05:29 PM
Idaho430
Rookie

Originally Posted by Harold57
Welcome to the forum Idaho430 and congrats on your new acquisition.

Is that a side marker light? It looks like the previous owner did some mods to your car. What other mods did he/she make?

It sounds like you will need to free up the J-hook on the driver's side first and then grease it. I'm not sure what the proper grease to use is other than just typical body grease or possibly white silicon.

Harold
Not my car...stock photo from Lexus just used for illustrative purposes since I saw that the latching hooks were visible in the shot. Will post some shots of our new baby eventually. Ours is Black/Saddle.
Old 09-03-12, 05:32 PM
Idaho430
Rookie

Originally Posted by WIL44
Welcome to CL Idaho.

Not had any problems with my roof and the car is always serviced at Lexus.

There is quite a lot of grease visible at the top of my windscreen frame where the roof mechanism locks and it has obviously been applied by Lexus. You can just about see it in my picture.
Cannot tell you what sort of grease should be used, but I am sure someone will chime in and tell you, probably Vvtibob when he sees your post.

Best regards
Steve
Steve,

Would you mind posting a close-up photo of the female windshield connections as well as the male roof connections so I (and the others interested) can see how much grease the dealer is using and possibly what type? Much obliged!

Last edited by Idaho430; 09-03-12 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-03-12, 06:09 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jzwu
Any common grease will do.
I would use waterproof lithium grease actually.
Old 09-03-12, 09:48 PM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

If it was my car the first thing I'd like to know from the dealer who has worked hard to earn your business is ....is the car throwing any roof DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes). If so, which ones. If not, then the dealer is stringing you along with some bulll. You can figure the rest.. The sliding roof is a very sophisticated piece of engineering with more than 20 senors, motors and switches monitoring its "state". It "knows" when something is not nominal and reports. The dealer can hook up to the OBDII port and read the errors, if any. While lubrication with white lithium grease (any grease won't do, but everyone is entitled to their opinion) is necessary, most issues are related to a switch which has gone bad or a sensor malfunction....not lubrication.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 09-03-12 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-03-12, 09:56 PM
Idaho430
Rookie

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
If it was my car the first thing I'd like to know from the dealer who has worked hard to earn your business is ....is the car throwing any roof DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes). If so, which ones. If not, then the dealer is stringing you along with some bulll. You can figure the rest.. The sliding roof is a very sophisticated piece of engineering with more than 20 senors, motors and switches monitoring its "state". It "knows" when something is not nominal and reports. The dealer can hook up to the OBDII port and read the errors, if any. While lubrication (with white lithium grease) is necessary, most issues are related to a switch which has gone bad or a sensor malfunction....not lubrication.
Thanks for the informed information, Bob!

Will fault codes show up if I have reset the ECU? In an effort to stay out of the dealership when the roof first malfunctioned I pulled the battery neg cable for 30-45 mins. It didn't accomplish anything with the roof but I believe I read here somewhere that might re-set the fault codes if any were present.
Old 09-03-12, 10:08 PM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

Nope...error has to happen when running the roof AND hooked up with diagnostic tools.... In other words ....at the dealer or mechanic with the correct tools.

Quick Reply: Roof Lubrication