SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

things to check, fix, set, and replace

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-12, 02:08 PM
eliotd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default things to check, fix, set, and replace

ok. since i need more posts as new member, we are bringing in the car for service. Besides personal settings, amp, bubble on rear deck, wind through top seal, and a few minor issues, is there anything I should have them check, replace, fix, or otherwise look into when I bring it in! 2006 with 53k miles! What known issues should I expect! As always your advice and expertise is appreciated!

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 09-06-12, 02:10 PM
eliotd
Rookie

this is a CPO, but condition was not what I expected!

Old 09-06-12, 03:49 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Get them to verify all TSB's have been done. Good luck.
Old 09-06-12, 09:18 PM
VVTiBob

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

If it was a CPO car...ask to see the CPO inspection record. It looks like THIS. They should have given you a copy upon your purchase.
Old 09-06-12, 10:59 PM
eliotd
Rookie

what am I looking for in that report? obviously they didn't notice the air leak in the roof, the stereo issue, or the bubble on rear deck. Also needed to be cleaned!

Old 09-07-12, 06:48 AM
VVTiBob

Here's what I would do. Print out that CPO checklist and go over it yourself with a fine tooth comb. Obviously there may be some items you can't check. Then compare your evaluation to the one the dealer did when the got the car. What's that ....the dealer didn't do one ..or at least never gave you a copy.... Well you should be able to handle that with management or Lexus Corporate... Bring your grievances to their attention but before you do, due diligence on CPO cars and warranty coverage is your responsibility.
If there are things wrong with the car and, it is a CPO car, then the CPO warranty should cover it. Read this... LEXUS CPO EXPLAINED especially the part about " Meticulously Inspected ".

Last edited by VVTiBob; 09-07-12 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-07-12, 09:33 AM
Idaho430
Rookie

You would have probably noticed them already if they existed but I'd operate both motorized covers (Nav, Stereo) quite a few times up and down to confirm smooth operation. Seems like the doors are prone to malfunction pretty easily.

Battery issues? Another hot topic on here and other forums regarding our SC's. This car positively EATS them for lunch.
Old 09-07-12, 06:05 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Check out the thread that covers what to look for when purchasing a SC430. IIRC, it covers the most common issues that the SC430 tends to have.
Old 09-07-12, 09:27 PM
eliotd
Rookie

thanks...took a seven hour road trip in it, nav and stereo doors fine, rides well...our local dealer transferred car in from dealer across the bay. that dealership did a horrible job cleaning and probably certifying as well. our dealer cleaned a few things before we took it but we had to set up an appointment for service and then went on vacation...all things pretty minor so far and we are absolutely loving it...seems the other dealership did the certifying and this one doesn't want to clean up their mess, but will or we will be having a discussion!

Old 09-07-12, 09:32 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

CPO adds at least $2K to selling price. Lexus expects that the dealer who CPO'd it did the whole process right, otherwise claims on CPO's would be high.
Old 09-07-12, 10:12 PM
eliotd
Rookie

the certifying dealership obviously did not..!!!

Old 09-07-12, 10:53 PM
VVTiBob

I would be contacting Lexus Corporate with two issues. Obviously the initial dealer either failed to follow Lexus' CPO requirements or they did it on purpose which would be fraud considering you paid more for the car to get the CPO warranty.
The second reason is the second dealer "not wanting to clean up their mess" ...they don't get to pick and choose what CPO items they'll handle. If another dealer dropped the ball or took short cuts, it's not right. But their unwillingness to jump in and get it right is wrong too. And my Mom always told me two wrongs never make it right. They should step up, make it right and you whole, then deal with this at a management level with Corporate.
Old 09-08-12, 10:48 AM
eliotd
Rookie

we will see after tomorrow if I need to start complaining BUT it's nice to know that according to the CPO checklist that the spare tire is in good condition, tread, sidewall and all considering it does NOT have a spare, and the speakers are good considering rear speakers do not play properly and never have since we got the car, so what else have they missed, or not checked on the inspection???

How good are the lexus service advisors?

Do I walk in and say I have 160 concerns I need checked out? My wife says it isn't too bad, I think she doesn't want to start complaining with a new dealership after 20 years with the people she knows at the Toyota dealer but It's like getting a poorly cooked frozen steak when order you ordered a fresh Prime Angus Beef well aged steak!

Old 09-08-12, 10:59 AM
eliotd
Rookie

I just remembered that we once looked at a IS C at the other dealer when we were looking at different models and even though it was cleaned and prepped and ready on the lot, the car was filthy, dirt everywhere inside, but salesman insisted it was already detailed but couldn't understand why it was so dirty! I should have remembered that to begin with, but that was months earlier!