SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New SC430 member from Denmark

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-13, 12:35 AM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm i think you misunderstood me. Not the lip or the face of the wheel. Whats it called. The back of the wheel?

Lets try with a picture. This one is taken with the blitz on so you can see the contrast clearly. I'm not sure i like it that way. Wondering if i should paint that area black.

I know many guys think that i'm being ridicoulas. Sorry, i can't help it. I would rather have one perfect SC, than two beated ones with a half *** job done to them. Just my 10 cent

A little sidenote. When i was changing to headers and had the entire exhaust system and everything down from the car. I was very impressed by the condition of the car. I would say i screwed about 100 nuts and bolts loose on that job, and not one single one of them cracked or were too rusty to get loose. It makes me happy to work on a car like this. Its quality. Of course the car have only driven 68.000km (42.000 miles) and is in good shape, so it's a joy working on this car and it gives me some sort of satisfaction when everything is done right

Call me crazy. But i have been working on too many cars there were old and rusty. Its not fun at all. All the things i'm doing to this car, i am sure that in 10 years from now, the car will still be in the same great condition
Old 04-02-13, 05:01 AM
fj40ih8mud
Pole Position

Those brakes look awesome. I am very impressed with all of your work. You give us all something to aim toward.

One question, does anyone know where you can get the lip ground effect in the states?
Old 04-02-13, 08:55 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok. I think that's called the inner barrel. It probably would look better painted black. And yeah, I wouldn't bother with powder coating back there.
Old 04-02-13, 09:54 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The pursuit of perfection is not ridiculous and I seriously doubt anyone is laughing at you. You're just doing what most of us wish we could do. Your meticulous attention to detail is the fun of this thread and I wish you well and hope you continue to share your journey with us.
Old 04-02-13, 12:37 PM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Thanks alot guys. I appreciate your kind words. And yeah of'course i will share the rest of the build until its all finished

Yeah the inner barrel. Just like i wrote in the first picture I just got my tires mounted so i wont take them off again and dissasemble the wheels to get the inner barrel powder coated. I'm not THAT perfectionist But a couple of gloss black layers or maybe satin finish would help on the look. I think the contrast look a bit odd at the moment somehow.

I dont know where you can buy that "lip ground effect" you are talking about. I got my g-answer front and rear lip kit straight from Japan.

Last edited by Rollaboy; 04-02-13 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-02-13, 12:42 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's what happens when I reply to threads too early in the morning.
Old 04-02-13, 10:29 PM
Emackny
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Carver
The pursuit of perfection is not ridiculous and I seriously doubt anyone is laughing at you. You're just doing what most of us wish we could do. Your meticulous attention to detail is the fun of this thread and I wish you well and hope you continue to share your journey with us.
Quoted for the truth..
Old 04-03-13, 12:39 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

You are doing a fantastic job Michael.

As much as I envy the work you are doing, I envy the time you have to spend on your car more......

Best regards
Steve
Old 04-03-13, 12:57 PM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Thanks Steve. I wish i had more time But yeah i know from previous projects that if you want to do it right, you need to have a garage where you can leave the car in the middle of a project so you dont have to do things in a hurry. Thats also why i dont have a deadline for this year. If i cant finish everything this year there should plenty of time to have it ready for next summer. And of'course safe alot of money on the import tax that will go down.
Old 04-03-13, 05:42 PM
430SILVER
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rollaboy
Thanks alot guys. I appreciate your kind words. And yeah of'course i will share the rest of the build until its all finished

Yeah the inner barrel. Just like i wrote in the first picture I just got my tires mounted so i wont take them off again and dissasemble the wheels to get the inner barrel powder coated. I'm not THAT perfectionist But a couple of gloss black layers or maybe satin finish would help on the look. I think the contrast look a bit odd at the moment somehow.

I dont know where you can buy that "lip ground effect" you are talking about. I got my g-answer front and rear lip kit straight from Japan.

Fantastic build! Love what you've done and what you've got planned.

What are you doing with the interior?

(I used to like to powder-coat parts, they do look good. But lately I favor painting for the ease of touch up. It's hard to fill in chipped powder-coating. And worse, it's hard to remove powder-coating. So I think a couple layers of gloss black will do just fine and look just as good.)
Old 04-10-13, 10:31 PM
francker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hej hej,
Dit project er meget spændende og jeg glæder mig til at se resultatet. Jeg har lige købt en 2006 430 SC til min hustru. Det var en dejlig følelse at indfri hendes drøm.
Old 04-11-13, 02:58 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

some job. I must say, can't wait to see when its all done.
Old 04-13-13, 10:24 AM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Here comes a little weekend update.

I did some research and found that the best thing to do if i wanted to replace the nuts and bolts from the exhaust system is to use stainless steel bolts and copper nuts and instead of copper grease use some high resistanta anti-seize like the Loctite aluminum based i have found. Up to 900 degree celsius (1650 degree fahrenheit). I read that if i used both stainless steel bolts and nuts, because of the heat it would melt/weld together so thats why copper nuts is used. They also have a integrated lock system so they dont come loose. So now i have nuts and bolts that will last forever i think Its a shame the Megan stainless steel exhaust uses normal steel flances. Not stainless steel Its a shame Megan did that to keep the price down. I might gonna get some stainless steel flances and exchange when i do the rest of the exhaust system.

I decided to get the inner barrel painted to complete the look of the wheels. I think the small detail looks much better now

After 2 layers of gloss black.

3 thin layers to do the job. I then cleaned off the center with a cloth with some thinner.

Now thats black!!

Final result. Small detail, but hey.. Its all about the details right?
Old 04-13-13, 11:01 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

rollaboy
I like your work. you take pride in what you do. the car will look great when your done. keep doing a great job. we keep watching you move along.
Old 04-13-13, 11:44 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Rollaboy
Here comes a little weekend update.

I did some research and found that the best thing to do if i wanted to replace the nuts and bolts from the exhaust system is to use stainless steel bolts and copper nuts and instead of copper grease use some high resistanta anti-seize like the Loctite aluminum based i have found. Up to 900 degree celsius (1650 degree fahrenheit). I read that if i used both stainless steel bolts and nuts, because of the heat it would melt/weld together so thats why copper nuts is used. They also have a integrated lock system so they dont come loose. So now i have nuts and bolts that will last forever i think Its a shame the Megan stainless steel exhaust uses normal steel flances. Not stainless steel Its a shame Megan did that to keep the price down. I might gonna get some stainless steel flances and exchange when i do the rest of the exhaust system.

I decided to get the inner barrel painted to complete the look of the wheels. I think the small detail looks much better now

After 2 layers of gloss black.

3 thin layers to do the job. I then cleaned off the center with a cloth with some thinner.

Now thats black!!

Final result. Small detail, but hey.. Its all about the details right?
Fantastic! Awesome looking set! Great job. Your are my idol.

Quick Reply: New SC430 member from Denmark