SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Does anybody have a source for clear turn signals?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-02, 12:36 AM
XeetBMW330ci
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anybody have a source for clear turn signals?

Does anybody have a good source for clear turn signals? The front ones on the bumper, and the one in the middle of the brake lights.

Thanks,
Drew.
Old 11-27-02, 12:51 AM
XeetBMW330ci
Rookie

Originally posted by genearch
IMHO,

I hope not
I'm not talking about the Altezza lights, if that's what you are thinking! :eek:

I am referring to the clears that are exactly the same as the OEM lights with a clear lens instead of the amber lens.

Do you know what I am talking about?
Old 11-27-02, 10:04 AM
tfischer

Received 224 Likes on 165 Posts
Default Clear ?

If you find such a source and substitute clear lenses, I think you will need amber lamps in order to meet the lighting codes.

Not that you would be stopped or ticketed for having white light turn signals, but if you are so concerned about turn signals that you would go through so much trouble and expense to make a slight artistic change to the exterior of the car, you are, I hope, equally concerned about the adverse flashing effect that a white light would have on the drivers in front of and behind you (which is why the color of turn signals is regulated and standardized).

Seems like a lot of trouble to me.

Have you had a lot of complaints about the amber lenses?
Old 11-27-02, 11:42 AM
XeetBMW330ci
Rookie

Default Re: Clear ?

Originally posted by tfischer
If you find such a source and substitute clear lenses, I think you will need amber lamps in order to meet the lighting codes.

Not that you would be stopped or ticketed for having white light turn signals, but if you are so concerned about turn signals that you would go through so much trouble and expense to make a slight artistic change to the exterior of the car, you are, I hope, equally concerned about the adverse flashing effect that a white light would have on the drivers in front of and behind you (which is why the color of turn signals is regulated and standardized).
This is true. The lamps would be amber. However, there are bulbs available (or it can be a DIY) that have a thin layer of silver paint so you can't see the amber color. Even with the paint, the light is as bright as stock.

And I am 'equally as concerned'...
Seems like a lot of trouble to me.
It may seem like a lot of trouble to you, but it isn't to me. The point is to clean up the look of the outside of the car; nothing but black, silver, and red. It dosen't seem like much, but it makes a difference. I think it looks good.
Have you had a lot of complaints about the amber lenses?
Do you mod your car because other people complain about it? Do you mod your car for others at all? I hope not. Hopefully you would do it for yourself, and because you like the way it looks.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by XeetBMW330ci; 11-27-02 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-27-02, 03:17 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Re: Clear ?

Originally posted by XeetBMW330ci

This is true. The lamps would be amber. However, there are bulbs available (or it can be a DIY) that have a thin layer of silver paint so you can't see the amber color. Even with the paint, the light is as bright as stock.
Philips SilverVision are the bulbs you're describing. Technically, you need an amber reflector of some sort from the front sides, so a clear bumper light (even with an amber bulb) would not be DOT-spec. The tails should be fine, plenty of newer cars have red/clear tails with amber bulbs. And I doubt you'd get pulled over for lack of an amber front reflector, although if you live in a state with strict inspections to renew registration, you might get hassled.

Last edited by squarehat; 11-27-02 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-27-02, 05:08 PM
XeetBMW330ci
Rookie

Default Re: Re: Re: Clear ?

Originally posted by squarehat
Philips SilverVision are the bulbs you're describing.
Yup, Exactly. I have these for the bimmer.
Technically, you need an amber reflector of some sort from the front sides, so a clear bumper light (even with an amber bulb) would not be DOT-spec.
Yeah, since the reflector and signal are one in the same it's inescapable.
The tails should be fine, plenty of newer cars have red/clear tails with amber bulbs. And I doubt you'd get pulled over for lack of an amber front reflector, although if you live in a state with strict inspections to renew registration, you might get hassled.
Agreed. Most cops don't hassle you for this kind of stuff. (Especially when you drive cars like these. ) There also is no liscence plate on the front (which is also a violation), but no hassles for that...

Anyway, if anyone sees something, let me know...
Old 11-28-02, 03:24 AM
digital_wu
Driver School Candidate

I got fines once for having the Greddy PE exhaust on my GS.

The cop pulled me over and the first thing asking what I do for a living. and then he said my car is too low..and then he said everything on my car is illegal including the stereo mods since it was not specified on my insurance...

but he let me go in the end......with a warning on the PE exhaust...a small fine with no points deducted..I asked him if it is illegal why does he not force me to remove it, he said I can have it on as long as I keep paying fine whenever i get caught..I was like..@#$@

and then he asked me if he can see my nav before he let me off..@#$@#$

I always get pulled over for driving a modded GS, I think people in canada dont mod cars like this. More people in the US do that.
Old 11-28-02, 04:21 AM
XeetBMW330ci
Rookie

Originally posted by digital_wu
I got fines once for having the Greddy PE exhaust on my GS.

The cop pulled me over and the first thing asking what I do for a living. and then he said my car is too low..and then he said everything on my car is illegal including the stereo mods since it was not specified on my insurance...

but he let me go in the end......with a warning on the PE exhaust...a small fine with no points deducted..I asked him if it is illegal why does he not force me to remove it, he said I can have it on as long as I keep paying fine whenever i get caught..I was like..@#$@

and then he asked me if he can see my nav before he let me off..@#$@#$

I always get pulled over for driving a modded GS, I think people in canada dont mod cars like this. More people in the US do that.
That's tight that he let you off! Most of the people that I run into with nice cars (even on this board ) get offended if you inquire about mods. Before we started modding the SC430 it was the nice Lexus with the wierd wheels, but now it's 'Whoah, what kind of car is that? Looks great!' Very few cars look drop dead gorgeous off the lot (SC430 included, just in a different way), but when we're done, man this thing will be hot! Anyway, I'll keep you posted with the mods...

Drew.
Old 11-28-02, 07:05 AM
digital_wu
Driver School Candidate

For sure man!!!

My gf and my friends used to hate lower riders cars and exhaust..but now, after riding in my car, they told me..

"I love that deep tone exhaust sound!!! it makes the car sound more powerful"

"I feel safer in your car, knowing you have a stiff, top notch coilover, despite that you drive like a maniac"

My gf said, "when I get my new car, I will first drop it, and then get the exhaust..and for sure rims.." I was impressed with her conversion....

I am not sure why people get offended about modding cars, I mean, you drive cars the way you like it, and no car can ever be customized to the way you want it stock...some like it stock, some like it modded...maybe the modded cars look too aggressive?
or perhaps it does somehow destroy the stock's sense of beauty..but whatever it is, there should not be hatred..cus you know at the end of the day..a nicely modded GS gets LOTS OF LOOK.... if done right.(which is hard)...it will turn the beautiful lexus into a goddess...with unstoppable power..

I have had many older people coming to me confessing that they never though a modded lexus can be awesome...although they do point out that my exhaust is too big for their taste..
Old 05-10-06, 05:18 PM
Chekmi21
Lead Lap

www.*****************

Only place with anything that I could find.
Old 05-10-06, 07:11 PM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

a little birdie told me this but it never shows the site on here... i dunno y...
w w w . c l e a r c o r n e r s . c o m of course you gotta put the letters together
Old 05-10-06, 10:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

err..... this thread is way too old to be bumped