SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Navigation proble

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-12, 07:08 AM
JohnD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation proble

haven't used my nav system for months and when I needed to use I couldn't get the unit to say navigate to my destination. After putting in the location I wanted to go to nothing came up on the unit to proceed. Here's are a couple of possible problems. First, had a new windshield replaced early in the year and secondly, had to have a rear bumper cover replaced after someone tapped it. The unit seems to work when moving down the road but can't get it to route me to a destination. Would appreciate any help that someone might have.
Regards,
John
Old 09-30-12, 02:59 PM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

My first thought is to eject the DVD and reboot the whole system. Both repairs you mentioned would not affect the NAV system unless they were really reckless during the windshield replacement. The GPS antenna is located under the dash, to the rear of the NAV screen, slightly on the passenger side. The rear bumper repair has no connections to the GPS system.
Old 10-01-12, 07:46 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnD
After putting in the location I wanted to go to nothing came up on the unit to proceed.
Bob's right (as usual). The first step in any computer related problem is reboot. If that doesn't work, can you define the problem a bit more so we can have more clues to work with.

When you say "nothing came up" what point are you referring to?

Do you get to the point where the NAV gives you three options (short, fast, etc)? Do you get to the point where you press the GUIDE button? Does the route appear on the screen but not the voice directions?
Old 10-02-12, 10:28 AM
JohnD
Rookie

Thanks for your input guys....Been sick so this is the first time back on line. I just thought maybe the body shop pulled a wire or something when bumper cover replaced. JohnnyCake, that seems to be the problem, the guide button doesn't come up for me to press. VVTiBob, I would like to try doing that reboot by removing the DVD but unsure how to acomplish. Any help would be greatly appreciated from all.
John
Old 10-02-12, 12:21 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

JohnnyCake, that seems to be the problem, the guide button doesn't come up for me to press.
John, still kinda unclear. Can you take us through exactly what happens, step-by-step, starting with pressing the DESTINATION button? What do you do and what do you see displayed on the screen for each step?
Old 10-02-12, 01:50 PM
VVTiBob

Reboot is simple
Take a look at this document ....scroll down to the SC430 and follow the steps outlined. Instructions from Sewell Lexus
In your case just don't discard it..I'd start the car without the DVD, then shut down. after its been out for about a minute, reinsert it and let the system reboot and give it a test.
Old 10-06-12, 06:52 AM
JohnD
Rookie

Thanks guys.....will try reboot first....will let you know. Thanks again for your input
Old 10-06-12, 09:01 AM
JohnD
Rookie

Ok guys, did the reboot thing and nothing changed. First let me tell you I'm still running ver. 06.1 don't know if that has anything to do with it. As JohnnyCake requested, first I press destination and the screen comes up where I put list my destination. Next comes the screen that has Set destination on the top, the actual street that I typed in and shows route preference to the right but nothing comes up that has "Guide" for an option. I'm at loss to understand why, if you guys have any other options, I would be very happy to try. Thanks again.
John
Old 10-09-12, 05:53 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Next comes the screen that has Set destination on the top, the actual street that I typed in and shows route preference to the right but nothing comes up that has "Guide" for an option.John
John, no GUIDE button is correct. At that screen, touch one of the three route preferences to the right and you'll be good to go.
Old 10-09-12, 11:24 AM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually have a small issue with my NAV.
My NAV function and works fine and correctly, I can use the NAV with no problem and it will voice guide me to the destination. BUT, I can't use my voice command and I have tried to reset and I even bought a new updated NAV disk, still the voice command does not work. Supposely when you push the voice button, it should say: please say a command. But it is not saying a word at all.
Please help, thanks.
Old 10-09-12, 12:32 PM
VVTiBob

According to your profile you have an 2002 model year car is that correct?
Old 10-09-12, 01:27 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Yes Sir. That is correct. I had put in an updated NAV disk. Don't remember what version but it's the latest one. Anyway the NAV function and does give out guidance voice promp. Only the "MAP VOICE" button does not work.
Old 10-12-12, 11:22 AM
JohnD
Rookie

GPS now working....Want to thank JohnnyCake and VVTiBob for all your input and help.
JohnD
Old 10-13-12, 07:52 AM
VVTiBob

bb430
The NAV systems in 02 models do not accept "voice commands". The MAP/VOICE button has two functions;
1. activates the NAV systems for manual input via the keyboard or touch screen map
2. Repeats the last voice prompt

The "please say a command" or voice actuated commands we're not adopted until....I believe it was GENeration five. Your 02 is a factory GEN 2/3 system. SC430's did not use GEN five NAV systems, skipping that upgrade and then finally going from GEN four to GEN six in the car's final year of production (2010). So, unless I am misunderstanding your question, your NAV system is working up to it's technical limitations.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 10-13-12 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-13-12, 01:50 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Bob, Thank you for your explaination. I had an 01' LS430 and it has the same NAV system or the same GEN 2 NAV in it, and I was able to use the Voice function to locate POI such as Gas Station, Golf Course, ect... I was under the impression that this NAV with the Voice button would do the same as in the LS.
If it were not meant to work the same way, it's ok. I am just wondering whether this is a mal-function only to my car. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Navigation proble