SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Timing Belt Replacement...could use input/advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-12, 10:33 PM
UofOMom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Replacement...could use input/advise

We don't have a Lexus dealership in our city. I could drive about 90 miles to the Seattle area for the timing belt replacement. My husband would like me to use one of his 'guys' here in town. When I was visiting our son in Eugene, Oregon I had the car serviced and asked about the cost of the timing belt replacement service and was quoted about $1150. One of my husband's guys quoted a little less at $1050. My comfort level leans toward maybe getting a quote from the Toyota dealer in town, or driving to Seattle. If the mechanic is competent and uses 'authorized' parts (what the dealer in Eugene told me I should ask for--he doubted the local Toyota dealer would use the proper replacement parts), how much does it really matter?

Please weigh in. At almost 80,000 miles for my 2004 SC430 I don't want to worry about something going wrong.

Thanks!
Old 11-20-12, 04:43 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

The Toyota services techs should have no problem doing the service on the LS430 - given your location I bet they get a few Lexus from time to time.

If you want to save the most money order Toyota OEM parts online at a discount and then call Toyota service and ask them for a labor only quote - make sure you tell them first that you are shopping for best labor price and tell them exactly what parts yopu have and want replaced. Call the dealer and ask for service manager (not just a services guy) and ask the manager for his best quote on labor only to change genuine OEM parts TB and pump. Buy the Lexus/Toyota OEM parts on line at a discount from Sewell.com or other online sources. You will likely save several hundred dollars this way but it takes a little work. Don;t be shy about talking to services folks - tell them up front you are on a budget and want great service but need to do it at low cost. None of these folks make a lot of money so they understand customers that are trying to save a dollar as long as its not crazy stuff.
Make sure you buy only OEM toyota/Lexus parts or Toyota may not be willing to install them.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 11-20-12 at 04:47 AM.
Old 11-20-12, 06:50 AM
doc s
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my timing belt and water pump replaced this summer by a local shop in Lynchburg that is AAA authorized. I've used them for numerous things: oil changes, transmission flushes, power steering, brakes, etc.
They've service a number of SC 430's. They used NAPA parts, showed me the package before doing the replacement , explained what they were doing and charged $980.00. They also changed the antifreeze.
The shop has 3 bays/mechanics and the one who did my timing belt has worked on every model of Lexus for years.
My SC430 is a 2002 with 87,000 miles.
Old 11-20-12, 07:28 AM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your local Toyota dealer is reputable for outstanding service, ask them what they would charge for the install/labor. If its a fair price, order the OEM kit from Sewell with the CL discount and you are good to go.
Old 11-20-12, 07:37 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Just my two cents, but I'd go to the Lexus dealer. The SC is a very low volume car to begin with. A Toyota mechanic is not going to have seen many, much less an independent mechanic. Especially for an involved repair such as timing belt, I want the mechanic that works on this model every single day, knows the quirks, and knows from experience how to avoid problems. A timing belt is not an oil change.

Sure, its probably OK to go elsewhere. Paying the extra Lexus dealership money is just insurance that the job is more likely to be done right without causing other problems. The key is "more likely." There are great independent mechanics and there are crappy Lexus mechanics. In the immortal words of Clint Eastwood: "You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"
Old 11-20-12, 07:46 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Johnny - I'm going to disagree in a friendly way. Any shop that has been performing timing belt replacments on double-overhead cam engines should be fine. Not really anything tricky for someone who has done timing belts, especially with a rear drive, longitudinally mounted engine like hours. A mechanic who has been doing VW/Audi belts would jump up and down for joy when they opened the hood on the SC.

Also, the same basic V8 has been used for years in Toyota trucks. Find a place that has experience with those trucks and they can do the SC in their sleep. The cheapest route is to buy OEM parts off the internet, and get a local shop with Toyota truck experience to install. Get a kit with the timing and serpentine belts, idler and tension pulleys, waterpump, thermostat, hydraulic tensioner and relax for another 100K miles with peace of mind. If the cam shaft oil seals aren't leaking, don't change them. Rare failure item (as I understand it) on these V8's.

Kelly

Last edited by kjcole; 11-20-12 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-20-12, 08:36 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Multiple opinions here and all have validity -

As an alternative you could shop the multiple Lexus dealers in Seattle area and ask them for labor only quotes on the OEM TB and pump kit pf parts you got at a discount on line at a place like Sewell.com.

Get the lowest Lexus service labor quote and let them know you need a loaner and ask that they complete by same day PM. Take your car up there first thing in the am, get their loaner and enjoy the day in Seattle.

btw - the the Lexus 430 engine used in the SC and LS was not used in any other US brand Toyotas. The toyota V8s are all cast iron block engines while the 430 engine is all aluminum.
Old 11-20-12, 11:33 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Oh, I'm not saying that timing belt replacement is inherently complicated, but it is intricate. I don't want someone tearing apart my engine that has not done this exact engine many times before. Of course, I'm a pessimist, that might have something to do with it. But I agree that this is a "chocolate or vanilla" thing and there is no right answer, just what you're comfortable with.
Old 11-20-12, 12:46 PM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wasn't aware that the Toyota V8's were all iron block - thanks, good to know.

Kelly
Old 11-21-12, 09:49 PM
severteche
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are in the front of the engine DO change the oil seals. These get worse with age and at a timing belt change it is a minor expense. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!
Old 11-21-12, 10:30 PM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Personally, I would want someone who had done MANY timing belt changes on 430s to do mine when it's due. They know all the nasty things that can go bad and they know all the tricks to complete the job the right way.

JR
Old 11-22-12, 07:15 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I think there are many competent mechanics out there who could do the job. There are two keys IMO: 1) make sure you replace all relevant parts that are easily accessible while changing out the timing belt, pulleys, water pump, drive belt, thermostat, etc.; 2) Get it done at a place of business you feel comfortable with that will back up their work and replace the engine or parts should the job not be done correctly. A HIGHLY unlikely event, but none the less, it may make you sleep easier at night.
Old 11-22-12, 11:25 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I just did TB service on my Z for the first time, it's not SC430 but I'm sure process is very similar and I'm positively sure service on Z's are much involved. If I can do it anybody can with some hand tools, just take it to somebody you can trust, but I understand that can be tough sometimes. Cost is important but I would not nickel and dime on service like TB service.