SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Considering getting an sc430, do you owners reccommend it? Thanks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-02, 02:35 PM
DANDADA_GS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering getting an sc430, do you owners reccommend it? Thanks!!!

To start off, I currently own a 1998 GS400, I am satisfied with the car, but its getting a little played out I guess, it seems like EVERYONE has one. This is the main reason I am considering getting another car. I WAS considering considering a convertable M3 until I was informed by a few people in the GS forum told me that the new M3's has BIG!!! engine problems. Anyway, to my point...(as an owner) Do you think that it would be worth it to pay the $20,000 difference for a sc430? (I'm going to try to find somebody selling one on ebay for about $45,000)

Thanks again!!
Steve
Old 12-08-02, 06:50 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Spend some time reading through this SC430 forum. I don't think you'll find a group of people more objective about their cars as the folks in here. No one minds discussing the problems they're having, but at the same time you'll find that those problems are really nits. No one minds discussing the characteristics of the car that disappoint or irritate them either. Best of all, you'll find solutions and alternatives to those nits and irritations.

Once you've looked through all of the forum and have digested the pros and cons of owning this car as described by these honest owners, you'll be able to make a truly objective and intelligent decision as to whether or not you want to own one.

I'll leave it to others here to suggest how much is too much to pay for one.

BTW, Steve ... get one.
Old 12-08-02, 08:10 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

The SC430, IMO, is the most beautifully built mass production car I have ever seen. It's shape, while unusual, is like a sculpture on wheels, a work of art. The build quality / fit and finish is unrivalled outside of Bentley/RR.

If you have considered the M3 before, this car will not offer the same sporty handling of the M3, since the SC430's emphasis is heavily on the luxury side, laden with most features one would want in a car. It's a delight every time I sit in the car, the interior put together with first-rate materials and impeccable craftsmanship, in a modern art setting.

Power is more than adequate for most and handling competent enough, since I (and most intended owners) will not push it very hard, and will never drive it in a way to fully realize its potential anyway.

The only complain I have, is the famous run flat tires, which give a jiggly, though not harsh ride on rough surfaces. But on good roads, the ride is smooth and serene. One can consider switching back to regular tires when the time comes to replace them, which is probably what I will do. One will not need any trunk space, even for a weekend getaway for two(unless it's skiing), since the backseat is more than adequate for two small baggages for a long weekend.

Whether it is worth the extra money over an M3 really depend on your priorities, what you value more in a car. The M3 will most certainly be a more exhilirating pure driving experience. and if that's what you want, I think you should also consider the Porche Boxter S too, which is in the same price range as the M3 too, but with only two seats. The porche has a better quality/reliability rating too according to recently published surveys and reports, since you are a current Lexus owner, and is used to a lofty standard in this area.

If you are not a hardcore drive enthusiast who is heavily biased towards handling and performance, and simply wants a fast, stylish, comfortable, luxurious coupe/convertible that will turn heads everywhere, its unlikely you can find a better value.
Old 12-08-02, 10:45 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Well said, Itauamkau!

Steve, take a look under the thread, "London Times Reviewer Gives SC430 1 Star". In response to the sometimes negative press, I summarized my thoughts on using the car as a daily driver. I've owned a GS300, 330ci, and A6 4.2, and for my purposes this is a superior car. If you're looking just for an exhilarating driving experience this is not the car for you, but if you want the total package, this is it!
Old 12-08-02, 11:45 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Lex is a well built, reliable, dependable luxury automobile.

It's a Toyota at heart and there ain't nothin' better.
Old 12-09-02, 10:50 PM
SCamp
Driver School Candidate

The M3 & the SC430 are fine cars, but best suited for quite different drivers.

Let me share my decision process. I read all the reviews &c, narrowed my list to the BMW 330ci, Lexus SC430, MB SLK or maybe CLK (the hard top was a moderate requirement, living in a perpetually damp climate). Figuring this is a large enough purchase that I really didn't want to make a mistake, I then rented each one on successive days (btw, the Lexus was only available in a few places - Las Vegas, San Francisco, LA and Miami may cover it). I drove each about 100 miles in mixed hiway/city/twisty (hills above Oakland in September are pretty nice with the top down...

I couldn't get a BMW 330ci w/ manual, settled for a 325 w/ auto. Absolute dream to drive, the handling is pretty near telepathic. The 325 maybe slightly underpowered and that is exaggerated by the automatic, but the handling is unparalleled: if anything, the BMW loses some tiny amount of visceral "wheeee! factor" because the only way it will go off the edge is if you very deliberately point it that way . I've driven other manual BMWs, and generally find them thrilling. The interior is nice but not astonishing, fit & finish is great, all around beautiful machine. It did have a couple of rattles (2500 miles on the car), the stereo was OK, the Nav system was unmanageable in the 5 minutes I spent on it (not being a big fan of Nav systems, no real comment).

By contrast (especially when getting straight out of one and into the other), the Lexus is a boat. It wallows on twisty roads and the steering is heavy and dull, acceleration is strong but notably delayed. Sorry, fellow sufferers, I bought one, but not because I consider it a great sports car.

On the other hand, the SC430 is a fabulous touring car. After the first half hour on a twisty road (which was, frankly, a bit of a chore when trying to drive the Lexus like a BMW), I relaxed and just let the car go it's own pace. On freeways, that pace can be extra-legal in a hurry: you have to keep reminding yourself that needle straight up is too **** fast! The car is so pleasantly serene that there is only modest (mostly visual) differentiation between 55 and 105. The nav system was trivial to figure out, and actually useful (OK, it did take me through the worst part of Oakland, but that was before I found the "avoid" function...

Also, after several more drives on twisty roads, I'm gaining an understanding of, and grudging respect for, the handling. No, I'm not rationalizing; if handling is the critical factor, BMW is a better choice. The SC430 can be driven very fast on twisty roads if desired, it's just a lot more work. I do wish it had a slightly smaller steering wheel (both overall diameter and grip size).

The critical factors for me turn out to be: reliability (especially of that automatic top); comfort (quiet, smooth) on longer but relatively unchallenging drives; and, yes, that incredible sound system. I have a CD of van Cliburn playing Rachmaninoff, and heard things at 70mph that I didn't notice before in my living room (confirmed later that, yes, you really can hear something like fingernails clicking on the keys at a couple of points).

Aesthetically, I have ambivalent reactions to the SC430. I don't really like it parked (seems rather unbalanced, too high-waisted and bottom heavy in most pictures and in parking lots - but I really like the Audi TT, old Karmen Ghia's & the like). But long before I even knew what it was, it always caught my eye on the road, and it always seemed beautiful in motion, top up or down. Anybody else feel this way?

View from, or of, the interior is always spectacular.

The poor SLK didn't really measure up in any category, but the CLK is probaby a better car.

So, my long answer is: Ask for all the information you want, but decide for yourself what is important to your happiness ("need" having departed the discussion about $25k back ) And, unless you can afford a ~$10k mistake (reselling after a few months), spend ~$500-1000 to rent several competitors for a good couple of days of testing.

Good luck.
Old 12-10-02, 03:22 PM
dingo
Driver

I'm impressed (and agree) with the very "honest" evals you guys made of the SC!

In my experience you don't get this kind of objectivity on Car forums. Refreshing!!