SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Advice on new wheels and tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-13, 03:37 PM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Juli,

I just replaced my tires today on my 2008 SC. I ditched the Run Flats and I had NON-run flat Michelin Pilot Super Sports installed. The ride difference was dramatic! It now drives like a Lexus. It cost me $1028 out the door, mounted, balanced and aligned due to some year end special. It included lifetime rotation at no cost.

I have the same wheels that you have on my 08 SC and I actually like them.

I'm in South Florida where we never get snow so the Super Sports, being a summer tire, made sense.

Others hear have installed Continental DWS tires and rave about them.

Another option is Michelin A/S Plus in either non run flat or run flat. Another local SC owner recently installed the A/S Plus run flats and reported excellent ride improvement. The A/S Plus tires are directional, meaning that they can only be rotated front to back. I like to cross rotate my tires so after 4 rotations each tire has been installed on every wheel for the most even wear.

From a cost standpoint best prices I found here installed were
Cheapest Continental DWS $194 each
Michelin Pilot Super Sports $241 each
Michelin Pilot A/S plus $258 each
Michelin Pilot A/S Plus Run Flats $272 each

The longest wearing seems to be the Conti DWS.

A good place to buy in Georgia is www.discounttire.com

Hope this helps.

JR
Old 03-04-13, 02:59 PM
Juli
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got new wheels and tires. The tires are the NON-run flat Michelin Pilot Super Sports and the wheels are the Lexus 19-Inch, 10-Spoke Forged F-Sport .

Having trouble with the tire pressure sensors. Lexus did not do the install. I had to take it to Lexus to reprogram the sensors. They worked for one day. Now the light is flashing for one minute then solid. I have a call into my Lexus person and haven't heard back yet.

Hope you like them.

Juli
Old 03-04-13, 04:24 PM
barncat
Lead Lap

I like them!
Old 03-13-13, 05:02 PM
jbrooksga
Driver School Candidate

Here's what we've recently went through, and and wanted some other input. Our 2002 SC 430 had the OEM dinner plate wheels, and Kumho tires. They were OK but not remarkable.

Recently upgraded to 18" Drag DR-33 chrome finish wheels and Yokohama YK580 tires. We've had a lot of frustration trying to get the car to drive correctly since. First, Discount Tire forgot to install the hub centers. It drove horribly so that improved things a bit. Still not happy, we went to Butler Tire and asked for a road force balance. They improved it some, but we still have a vibration in the front. I'm assuming the new wheels are not the problem since the road force balance should have revealed any imperfections if they existed.

This car has new shocks/struts and has been aligned, so I'm eliminating any chassis issues being at fault.

I decided to swap the front/rear tires on that side and found that the vibration followed it to the rear. So something is still amiss with the LR. I'm assuming its a flaw in the tire, but not sure. Even so, the Yokohama's are very rough when cold. They must have a hard compound.

Discount Tire is working with us and has offered to take the tires back to swap out for another brand. So I'm thinking the Continental Extreme DWS. I have a similar Conti tire on my BMW X3 and really like them. These were the tires I originally wanted but DT convinced me to try the Yokos.

Has anyone installed the Contis on the SC?
Old 03-13-13, 05:22 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Well thought out. Very nice looking wheels on that color combination!
Old 03-13-13, 05:52 PM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrooksga

Discount Tire is working with us and has offered to take the tires back to swap out for another brand. So I'm thinking the Continental Extreme DWS.

Has anyone installed the Contis on the SC?
Here is my first hand experience.

I have 2 SC430s. One with Michelin Pilot Super Sports and one with Continental Extreme DWS tires. I like the Michelins better.

If I let the one with the DWS tires sit for more than a few days the tires seem to get flat spotted and shakes noticeably in the seat and steering wheel for the first 5 miles or so. Eventually it smooths out. Sitting overnight the shakes are still there the next day, but barely noticeable and resolves quickly.

The SC430 with the Michelins can sit for weeks and rides smooth as glass with no shaking at all.

Another observation is that the car with the DWS tires rides much better than the original run flats, but still not as smooth as the one with the Michelins.

The Pilot Super Sports are summer tires and are not recommended for snow.

JR

Last edited by FLYCT; 03-13-13 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-13-13, 09:02 PM
OBP
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT
Here is my first hand experience.

If I let the one with the DWS tires sit for more than a few days the tires seem to get flat spotted and shakes noticeably in the seat and steering wheel for the first 5 miles or so. Eventually it smooths out. Sitting overnight the shakes are still there the next day, but barely noticeable and resolves quickly.

Another observation is that the car with the DWS tires rides much better than the original run flats, but still not as smooth as the one with the Michelins.

JR
+1 on the Conti DWS. Good tire for the price and supposedly pretty good in snow for a non winter tire. But mine definitely flat spots if the car is not driven for a day and like FLYCT said, it needs 5 minutes of warm up driving for mine to settle down. Another thing - I had to have them rebalanced after about 4000 miles or so cos I got front vibration. But I believe if I had rotated properly, that problem would have gone away cos i switched front to back and things are fine now.