SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Best car I ever had

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-12, 10:05 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best car I ever had

I've been a forum member for a very long time. Used to post fairly often, but for many years have rarely visited the forum. I bought my car in April, 2001. I remember that this forum was an extremely valuable source of information in the early years of ownership. Scanning the forum, I see some familiar posters that I remember from way back when. I say with absolute certainty that this is simply the best car I have ever had. I still get comments, people I don't know ask me if the car is new. People that I do know still compliment me on the car. Other than the expected maintenance, the car has been pretty much trouble free and reliabile. The roof, which I thought would be the first thing to go, works as well as the day I bought it, not even a squeak. The body shape was so far ahead of its time (and timeless) that it doesn't age.

This coming April will be 12 years that I have owned this car. That is long even for me, who generally holds onto cars for a while. I didn't buy another car because this car was working so well, and really, I didn't see any other car that caught my eye that I would prefer to drive over mine.

A car has finally caught my eye - I put a deposit down on a Tesla Model S. Looking forward to it. But can't get myself to sell my car. Because of it's age, the resale value is so far below what I would be willing to let it go for. And plus, I still really like the car, and only have 70,000 miles on it. So I think I'm going to put a cover on the car and save it for weekend "top down" drives.

Anyone else having a hard time letting go of their car? Thanks.
Old 12-30-12, 01:23 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm trying to convince the other half to get a prancing horse and trade in the SC430.
Old 12-30-12, 05:47 AM
OBP
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

Planning to get rid of one car in the next year or two. Will likely let go of the newer Acura with more miles on it and keep the older SC ( lower miles ) after i put a nice fresh paint job on it. Don't want to give up the nice top down driving experience, just like the OP. Feel good about the bullet proof 3UZ engine cos so many older SCs seem to be going strong. Like the OPs car.
Old 12-30-12, 01:29 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RodF
I've been a forum member for a very long time. Used to post fairly often, but for many years have rarely visited the forum. I bought my car in April, 2001. I remember that this forum was an extremely valuable source of information in the early years of ownership. Scanning the forum, I see some familiar posters that I remember from way back when. I say with absolute certainty that this is simply the best car I have ever had. I still get comments, people I don't know ask me if the car is new. People that I do know still compliment me on the car. Other than the expected maintenance, the car has been pretty much trouble free and reliabile. The roof, which I thought would be the first thing to go, works as well as the day I bought it, not even a squeak. The body shape was so far ahead of its time (and timeless) that it doesn't age.

This coming April will be 12 years that I have owned this car. That is long even for me, who generally holds onto cars for a while. I didn't buy another car because this car was working so well, and really, I didn't see any other car that caught my eye that I would prefer to drive over mine.

A car has finally caught my eye - I put a deposit down on a Tesla Model S. Looking forward to it. But can't get myself to sell my car. Because of it's age, the resale value is so far below what I would be willing to let it go for. And plus, I still really like the car, and only have 70,000 miles on it. So I think I'm going to put a cover on the car and save it for weekend "top down" drives.

I know exactly what you mean. When a car reaches a certain/value, keeping it is just the right move unless you need the money. The SC still makes a fun weekend or "every once in a while" car.
Old 12-31-12, 01:57 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RodF

I would never get rid of mine, just upgrade to a 2010 in 2020, these machines last forever!
Old 12-31-12, 05:32 AM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Received 417 Likes on 366 Posts

A 2010 SC430 would be a hot item for sure...
Old 12-31-12, 07:59 AM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I understand you... I bought a 1992 SC400, still have it, and would never get rid of it! Then I bought a 2002 SC430 and will never get rid of it! Now I'm waiting for the next SC_ _ _ ?
Old 12-31-12, 09:25 AM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Received 417 Likes on 366 Posts

No next SC____. The 2010 edition is the last of it. I would lover to upgrade to a 2010 in a couple of years.
Old 01-01-13, 04:59 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If anyone is thinking that I'm keeping my 09 in good shape for one of you guys/gals in the future, you need to keep looking. I'm keeping this thing for...ever.
Old 01-02-13, 10:24 AM
MadHungari
Rookie

I agree. The change in the tax law in Georgia will make the private-party purchase of used cars much more expensive in the near future. I felt it may be time to sell the SC430 before the law takes effect. But when I went out to the garage and looked at the car, the feeling passed I've had a number of cars--both imported (Porsche, Mercedes, etc.) and domestic--over the years. For me, now, this is the best car I could own. It really is a keeper.

Last edited by MadHungari; 01-03-13 at 04:15 AM.
Old 05-08-13, 10:49 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Ok, very sad to say that the reality of the matter is that the most logical thing to do is to sell my car, since I will not be driving it much when my new car arrives. Any suggestion as to what a fair price is as well as the best way to sell it would be appreciated. My 2002 SC430 is a silver with ecru interior. It has been a garage queen, very well maintained with no discernable dents or scratches. It has 70,000 miles, and I added a few goodies, including: 3 piece rims, enhanced subwoofer with separate amplifier and volume control, interface to plug into MP3 players, backup sensors. I just did the major timing belt replacement . Any ideas/suggestions as to fair asking price and how to sell? My car is located in Hawaii.
Old 05-09-13, 05:31 AM
MadHungari
Rookie

RodF: I have posted the current FSBO listings on Craigslist here in Atlanta. Not very encouraging--prices seem to have really fallen in the last six months.

BUT PLEASE give us a monthly up-date on your ownership of the TESLA! I, for one, am really interested in the car and would appreciate an owner's continuing evaluation.

May 7- 2002 Lexus SC430 convertible - $16999 (Alpharetta, ga) pic map
Apr 23- 2006 Lexus SC430 - $19500 (suwanee, ga) pic
Apr 23- 04 Lexus SC430 - $19995 (Douglasville) pic
Apr 9- 2002 Lexus SC430 Black/Black - $17000 (Stockbridge) pic
Apr 5- 2003 Lexus SC430 - Beautiful hardtop convertible in time for Spring! - $15800 (Midtown - Piedmont Park) pic
Apr 1- 2002 Lexus SC430 - $15000 (Douglasville) pic
Apr 1- 2003 Lexus SC430 - Beautiful & perfect hardtop convertible! - $15800 (Midtown - Piedmont Park) pic map
Old 05-09-13, 05:31 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gripau1
I'm trying to convince the other half to get a prancing horse and trade in the SC430.
What color horse?
Old 05-09-13, 05:39 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@RodF - I feel the exact same way even though I have only had the SC formthree years. i love driving it and thing/doing the next mods. Your SC is like a family heirloom - if you have any kids or grandkids it would make a wonderful gift. Another thought is a donation to your favorate charity.

OR especially in Hawaii keep it until gas is no longer available or legal!
Old 05-09-13, 09:50 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Beware of flooded used car.......there are about 1/4 million of them were not report to DMV/DOT.