SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Collector Car Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-13, 07:25 PM
rktinc
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Collector Car Insurance

Dissapointed with my most recent renewals for five family vehicles. 02SC included. I called Hagerty to price insurance on it and a vette I seldom drive. I was amazed at the price and find no issues with the restrictions on the policy. The best part is the agreed upon value as I am sure my current carrier would use a low ball blue book which would not cover a pristine low mile 2002 SC like mine. I think I am moving them to Hagerty.

Has anyone used them for their SC?

Thanks,

RKTINC
Old 01-21-13, 07:54 AM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

insurance price is based on a formula that takes a look at how often you drive(risk) and the value of the loss(car). So no matter what company you use the price of the policy is very close. Now you can change the price only by lowering the benefit that you would get in the event of the loss or if you increase the benefit then your price will go up. Why do I get into this discussion? only to say that you need to read THE FINE PRINT to see what you are buying for the money. Most insurance agents will take a look at your current policy and recommend lowering some aspect of your benefit to save money or convince you that you really need a better benefit to receive the best possible payout in the event you have a loss. "RKTINC" you made a comment..."as I am sure my current carrier would use a low ball blue book which would not cover a pristine low mile 2002 SC like mine" have you had the conversation with your current agent about this? I have been with the same insurance company for over 15 years so I think its time to shop it out. If you have the time, please post your findings between the price and benefit for your current policy and any quotes you get.
Thanks & good luck
Old 01-21-13, 10:43 AM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hlthlnk
insurance price is based on a formula that takes a look at how often you drive(risk) and the value of the loss(car). So no matter what company you use the price of the policy is very close. Now you can change the price only by lowering the benefit that you would get in the event of the loss or if you increase the benefit then your price will go up
Every year I price shop. I have been a State Farm customer since 1970. Last year they dropped my Homeowners' insurance. They randomly selected a position of Florida customers to drop to reduce their exposure. Once they did this I no longer have loyalty to them.

That being said, I cannot find any company that will come close to the rates I pay. I have 250/500k and an additional Million dollar Umbrella liability policy with them. It seems that I get a max discount since my 4 cars have been insured over 10 years with them.

I got quotes from USAA, Nationwide, Progressive, Geico, AARP/Hartford, Allstate, Travelers and several independent brokers. No one can come close to the State Farm rates for identical coverage.

JR
Old 01-21-13, 06:56 PM
deathstar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

21ST CENTURY is the cheapest. $300 cheaper than the hartford on 2 cars.
Old 01-21-13, 07:04 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Another good way to assess insurance -- talk to a body shop that you trust. They can give good insight on which insurance companies haggle every dime out of a repair and try to make the shop use non-OEM, refurbished parts and want corners cut. Insurance companies have reputations in the repair industry. Another metric to consider.
Old 01-22-13, 05:06 PM
rktinc
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

All good input folks. I have submitted several bits of info and photos to hagerty this week. I find their reps to be very professional. They are hesitant to cover the sc due to its lack of perceived collectability. That being said thy will agree to cover it but stress the importance of understanding their restrictions. They have been candid in their concerns about types of use. I have been candid and upfront about my typical usage of both convertibles. I am now considering not moving to haggerty due to those restrictions. I am an extremely low risk client but just fear that the one - in - a - million event my result in a claim rejection. I will spend some time thinking about it this week.
Old 01-28-13, 03:58 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT
Every year I price shop. I have been a State Farm customer since 1970. Last year they dropped my Homeowners' insurance. They randomly selected a position of Florida customers to drop to reduce their exposure. Once they did this I no longer have loyalty to them.

That being said, I cannot find any company that will come close to the rates I pay. I have 250/500k and an additional Million dollar Umbrella liability policy with them. It seems that I get a max discount since my 4 cars have been insured over 10 years with them.

I got quotes from USAA, Nationwide, Progressive, Geico, AARP/Hartford, Allstate, Travelers and several independent brokers. No one can come close to the State Farm rates for identical coverage.

JR
I've been with USAA for over forty years, I always thought they had the best rates and service. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 01-29-13, 11:13 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

JR
Interesting. I'm with AAA and have had the same observations. We insure 4 cars, have home owners through them, and life insurance. Once you add up all the multi discounts, no other company has ever quoted less than twice what I pay AAA.
Old 01-30-13, 06:28 AM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tromly
I've been with USAA for over forty years, I always thought they had the best rates and service. Thanks for the heads up!
Jumping ship after 40 continuous years with USAA would probably not benefit you. You would loose your loyalty benefits.. That's the same issue I have after being with State Farm for over 40 years. One big benefit of State Farm is you can develop a face to face relationship with your agent.

I have been a USAA member for many years but not for car insurance. I've had auto loans with them and i still use and love their mobile banking app for the iPhone. They were one of the first to initiate deposits of checks by taking a picture with an iPhone.

JR
Old 02-04-13, 03:27 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jumping ship after 40 continuous years with USAA would probably not benefit you. You would loose your loyalty benefits.. That's the same issue I have after being with State Farm for over 40 years. One big benefit of State Farm is you can develop a face to face relationship with your agent.

I have been a USAA member for many years but not for car insurance. I've had auto loans with them and i still use and love their mobile banking app for the iPhone. They were one of the first to initiate deposits of checks by taking a picture with an iPhone.

JR
you're right about the loyalty benefits, I still love the company and it's customer service!