SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

lexus logo projector puddle light

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-13, 11:22 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
2/21/13 [ took 2 weeks to get not bad for free shipping total cost $ 23.00 for 2 units ]
I received the two laser projector bulb kit. First impression very well made quality product. Packed very well. Simple operation excellent wires in nice weight protective sheaf. Plenty of wire to make any connection. I will probably cut all of it away and just need maybe six inches. Plugged it in to 12 volt power source in the door courtesy light.

Held the unit approx 12 inches in high from ground. Projected the complete lexus logo on the ground very sharp and bright in white [ blue is optional color ] . Its really very tastefull looking. Its a really nice touch in my opinion. The install will have to wait for warmer weather. In my last update reff the diilling of the leather and plastic I have this worked out and it should not present any problem at all. I will have to pull both passenger and driver door panels so I will be able to make the hole and then wire it to the door courtesy light. There is also a nice feature built in to the unit it self. If you leave your doors open for more then 4 minutes the projector bulb turns it self off. This will make the laser bulb last longer and prevents unneccessary use of power. The draw is about 5 watts. The only thing I need to do before I install is to measure the hight of the bottom of the door panel to the ground. I dont recall what the hight is and I want to be sure how big the logo will be . The higer up you go the larger the logo. I would like to see it no more then 12 inches. Have to measure myself.

I am really impressed with the entire mod. I will do a complete install with pictures when I do the install. I would reccomend this mod if you like simple inexpensive unique touches on your ride.

I Also would mention that the projector barrel comes with a very well made gasket as well as a double thread lock collar for simple install and seal and adjusting the position of the logo as it appears on the ground. Daylight you can absolutely see it projected on the ground in the nightime its really outstanding but not over the top since the logo is sharp and not overbearing.

...I'm glad that you're impressed with these. I first saw them on ebay about a month ago & debated getting them until a few days ago...lol..I ordered a set on sunday, so hopefully they will be here soon !!
Old 04-05-13, 06:30 AM
Countdamon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please post any install pictures, someone can take. I'm lousy at such things and can use all the help I can get. Just ordered these from Oracle, more expensive, but hopefully a much better product.
Attached Thumbnails lexus logo projector puddle light-waa2edvtslnyjx7lnybhftz_4xhorapgu03wd7seice.jpg  
Old 04-05-13, 06:37 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Default puddle

Originally Posted by Countdamon
Please post any install pictures, someone can take. I'm lousy at such things and can use all the help I can get. Just ordered these from Oracle, more expensive, but hopefully a much better product.
What did you pay for them. Also there'a are much larger then what is out there. The ebay vendor sais he is on the 4 th generation of the puddle lights his are 1 1/2 long and .70 inch diameter
Old 04-05-13, 07:07 AM
Countdamon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They were $110 shipped. No idea what size they project out to.
Old 04-05-13, 07:31 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Default led

Originally Posted by Countdamon
They were $110 shipped. No idea what size they project out to.
There projection distance would be the same. The cree led are much brighter then standard led
The size of the actual projector you are getting is larger and a bit more challenging to fit inside the door panel . I don't know how much brighter is might be over the ones I bought on ebay for 22.00
shipped. I have to mount mine.
Old 04-06-13, 10:05 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, whaddya' think? I tied the LED projector into the license plate light. Cool? Tacky? Expect to see it OEM someday?

Name:  ProjectorImage1_zps1543c62e.jpg
Views: 3660
Size:  189.0 KB

Name:  ProjectorImage2_zpsae288599.jpg
Views: 2869
Size:  134.6 KB
Old 04-06-13, 10:25 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Bon
Well, whaddya' think? I tied the LED projector into the license plate light. Cool? Tacky? Expect to see it OEM someday?

Bon, Looks great, but are the projectors waterproof? did you mount it in any special way to avoid water?

fj40ih8mud, Great install too, Do you have any problems with the clearance when closing the door? As in, do they scrap up against the plastic door sill? I noticed that some have a "ring." and just wondering if it sits flush to the door panel, or if it should be "countersunk" to avoid this problem?
Old 04-06-13, 10:40 PM
Bon
Advanced

I smeared silicone to seal the exposed end of the projector. There is a black ring on the glass so silicone can overlap this area without getting into the projected image. The other end of the projector tube, where the wire exits, could be lathered up with silicone as well if it's going to be exposed. I'll have to wipe the glass clean just like I have to clean my backup camera lens on wash day.
Old 04-07-13, 12:08 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

all the pics shown were for the license plate install How hot does the projector case get when left on .The pair I bought on ebay for $ 22.00 have a safety device wired in that will turn the projector bulbs off after 4 min if the doors were left open. Does your led in license plate wired projectors turn off after 4 min ? Could you post a pic of where you did install the license plate projector. Does your projector get hot. The ones I bought have a safety device that turns the led off after 4 min if the power is left on to them as if the doors were left open if they wired to the courtesy lights. If you installed and wired them to the license circuit then they are on all the time when license plate lights are on .What units did you buy? Were they newer gen 4 that are smaller apprx 1.50 " tall by .70" in diameter or were yours the larger size. I pd $ 22.00 shipped. I also found that the blue color offered was not as bright as the white ones.

Thanks

Last edited by mrblister; 04-07-13 at 12:31 AM.
Old 04-07-13, 04:43 AM
Turboo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have it on my car...It is sooooo cooool and nice
I bought it from a local car accessories shop for $75
install it for $10....it took 10 minutes to install it and very easy.
Note: you need to drill a hole on the door bottom cover light. The drill head comes with the box when you buy it.
Also please note that there are some cheap ones that cost $20~~$35...but the get burned very fast and dont glow well in the dark even

I will post the pics for you later.
Old 04-07-13, 05:30 AM
Bon
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrblister
all the pics shown were for the license plate install How hot does the projector case get when left on .The pair I bought on ebay for $ 22.00 have a safety device wired in that will turn the projector bulbs off after 4 min if the doors were left open. Does your led in license plate wired projectors turn off after 4 min ? Could you post a pic of where you did install the license plate projector. Does your projector get hot. The ones I bought have a safety device that turns the led off after 4 min if the power is left on to them as if the doors were left open if they wired to the courtesy lights. If you installed and wired them to the license circuit then they are on all the time when license plate lights are on .What units did you buy? Were they newer gen 4 that are smaller apprx 1.50 " tall by .70" in diameter or were yours the larger size. I pd $ 22.00 shipped. I also found that the blue color offered was not as bright as the white ones.

Thanks
I have the gen 4 units and I paid around $25 for a pair. There doesn't appear to be a time-out safety device in them. They do get warm. I haven't measured the temp of the case after its been on for a while but I can. I held it in my hand while I was moving it around looking for a mounting location and it was warm but not hot. We'll see how long the projector lasts. If it has a short life then I may put in a voltage regulator to reduce the voltage to 9 volts and try again. It's a fun project for $12.50 per projector.

All I risked here is a hole in the rubber plug at the bottom of the spare tire wheel well and spare tire tray. The projector intrudes into the interior by about 1/4". I used the included hole drill bit and drilled through both the rubber plug and the black plastic tray at the same time to ensure alignment. The projector is attached to the rubber plug. I punched a tiny hole in the rear interior trunk wall to pass the wire to the license plate wiring. The hole is impossible to see, heck, I couldn't even see it while I was making it and pushing the wire through it. There is an inline fuse for the projector that can barely be seen in the first photo.
Attached Thumbnails lexus logo projector puddle light-projector-image-3.jpg   lexus logo projector puddle light-projector-image-4.jpg  
Old 04-07-13, 05:35 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Turboo
I have it on my car...It is sooooo cooool and nice
I bought it from a local car accessories shop for $75
install it for $10....it took 10 minutes to install it and very easy.
Note: you need to drill a hole on the door bottom cover light. The drill head comes with the box when you buy it.
Also please note that there are some cheap ones that cost $20~~$35...but the get burned very fast and dont glow well in the dark even

I will post the pics for you later.
Who was the maker of them. What was the size of them there are 3 different sizes available two are somewhat large the latest version is smaller also the latest version has a safety feature that turns bulb off after a few minutes so as to save it from premature burn out. they are led and listed as bright

I bought two sets of them for 22.00 per set I have not yet gotten around to install them.. Would like to see your choice of install point If installed at end of panel approx. in same location as the lower courtesy door light the angle there looks like it will slant the logo and distort the image on the ground.
There is a link in this thread to a guy that installed the larger units in that location which is at the angle is also the larger units. In that location is where the larger ones fit . If you use the smaller units then you can use 3 other locations that will point the projector straight down. This lower location allows the logo to project smaller which makes it look sharper and brighter. The higher the projector bulb is even a tiny bit make a big difference in how it displays. I find the ideal height would be 12 " off the ground. If installed at the slanted angle that's about 16 " from the ground. When I go to do my install I am hoping to drill panel midway closer to door speaker. I am using the smaller units and I think I can get the height to around 15 ". Its easy to see the effect before you install hook up the power to the led and then measure how high from the floor as you move them and you will see what size the logo gets to and one inch makes a big difference.

here is the link scroll down at least half way

http://ultimamoda.exblog.jp/i18/2/

Last edited by mrblister; 04-07-13 at 05:42 AM.
Old 04-07-13, 06:01 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bon
I have the gen 4 units and I paid around $25 for a pair. There doesn't appear to be a time-out safety device in them. They do get warm. I haven't measured the temp of the case after its been on for a while but I can. I held it in my hand while I was moving it around looking for a mounting location and it was warm but not hot. We'll see how long the projector lasts. If it has a short life then I may put in a voltage regulator to reduce the voltage to 9 volts and try again. It's a fun project for $12.50 per projector.

All I risked here is a hole in the rubber plug at the bottom of the spare tire wheel well and spare tire tray. The projector intrudes into the interior by about 1/4". I used the included hole drill bit and drilled through both the rubber plug and the black plastic tray at the same time to ensure alignment. The projector is attached to the rubber plug. I punched a tiny hole in the rear interior trunk wall to pass the wire to the license plate wiring. The hole is impossible to see, heck, I couldn't even see it while I was making it and pushing the wire through it. There is an inline fuse for the projector that can barely be seen in the first photo.
I like how it looks from the trunk so the projector is close to the ground how far would you estimate
it actually is ?

This is the link to where I bought mine

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330860126711...S:1123&vxp=mtr

That in line fuse is actually the safety device that should turn the bulb off in about 4 min
Old 04-07-13, 06:13 AM
Bon
Advanced

You're right and and wrong. The "fuse" is indeed not a fuse. It is a switching voltage regulator that lowers the voltage to the LED to 3 volts. I've had mine running continuously and it doesn't turn itself off. My ebay seller was "trgreat1" and it was shipped out of California.
Old 04-07-13, 06:28 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bon
You're right and and wrong. The "fuse" is indeed not a fuse. It is a switching voltage regulator that lowers the voltage to the LED to 3 volts. I've had mine running continuously and it doesn't turn itself off. My ebay seller was "trgreat1" and it was shipped out of California.
That's interesting mine do turn off after a few minuites . When I bought the first set from the vendor his posting said that his units did turn off . When I bought the second set his posting made no mention of this > I asked him and he told me all of his units will turn off aftter a few min..

If your lowers the voltage to 3 volts then the led must be able to run on 3 volts. That said then the switching device steps the voltage from 12 volt to 3 volt . Look at the link of where I bought mine and see if yours are the same

Quick Reply: lexus logo projector puddle light