lexus logo projector puddle light

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-13, 01:50 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Default lexus logo projector puddle light

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230922533743...S:3160&vxp=mtr

Saw this on ebay. You mount it in the bottom of your door and connect to courtesy light in door panel. When you open door it projects with an led light the lexus logo like a puddle light. I dont know how bright it is.Its like 23.00 shipped for two. I am trying it out. Anyone seen this before.
Old 02-03-13, 03:29 PM
barncat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheap enough. Let us know what you think.
Old 02-04-13, 08:04 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Oh yes, I like cheap projects. Please get on this pronto!
Old 02-06-13, 08:17 AM
tomscnj
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds cool (and cheap enough!)
Anybody ever replace the reverse lights for brighter? I think mine are inadequate (yes, the lenses are clean)
Part number?
Thx
Old 02-06-13, 08:20 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Default Reverse led

Originally Posted by tomscnj
Sounds cool (and cheap enough!)
Anybody ever replace the reverse lights for brighter? I think mine are inadequate (yes, the lenses are clean)
Part number?
Thx
Yes there is a club lexus vendor that sells cree reverse led lights as well as other led for our cars. I changed mine and they are significantly brighter whiter and burn less electricty. Do a search there very easy to change your self 5 min job.
Old 02-08-13, 08:25 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister

Saw this on ebay. You mount it in the bottom of your door and connect to courtesy light in door panel. When you open door it projects with an led light the lexus logo like a puddle light. I dont know how bright it is.Its like 23.00 shipped for two. I am trying it out. Anyone seen this before.
That does look very cool. Waiting to see you pictures!
Old 02-11-13, 04:16 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds intriguing !
Old 02-19-13, 12:46 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Default update projector install

I have not yet received the projector led I purchased. I have a spare set of door panels I bought on ebay because they are the pimento red and hard to find parts. I looked at the inside of one of them just to see how much clearence there is for the install. Next to the door courtesy light on the underside of the panel there appears to be enough clearence to be able to drill through the panel itself and not the metal underneath.

This position puts you right next to the courtesy light harness where you can splice into the circuit for power so when you open the door the projector led will operate. The only issue I have is they supply you with a drill bit/hole saw that you use to make the hole. This means i have to drill through the red leather and the plastic of the door panel. I am just trying to figure out if it will be safe to use there provided bit hole saw . It is the size that will allow for the insertion of the projector body and wire. I am wondering if anyone has ever drilled a hole in a leather panel and through the plastic of a panel before, What I am asking is will the hole saw make a smooth cut through the leather with out grabing and perhaps tearing the leather instead of just making a smooth hole Would appreciate any input before I start the install reff the drilling part.I guess i could try drilling the spare panels but I thought I woudl leave them alone.

Any one provide any different method to make the hole. The hole need to be a hair under 3/4 of an inch and I need 1 1/2 inch clearance of which i have both. If you look at the ebay link and read there instructions it gives you a good idea of what I am talking about. there instructions show just drilling through a plastic panel but where I will be drilling the red leather has a bit of padding in between it and the plastic of the panel. Ever drill through a piece of carpet you know what can happen the drill can bite and start pulling the threads of the carpet out.
Old 02-21-13, 10:19 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Default Update

I have not yet received the projector led I purchased. I have a spare set of door panels I bought on ebay because they are the pimento red and hard to find parts. I looked at the inside of one of them just to see how much clearence there is for the install. Next to the door courtesy light on the underside of the panel there appears to be enough clearence to be able to drill through the panel itself and not the metal underneath.

This position puts you right next to the courtesy light harness where you can splice into the circuit for power so when you open the door the projector led will operate. The only issue I have is they supply you with a drill bit/hole saw that you use to make the hole. This means i have to drill through the red leather and the plastic of the door panel. I am just trying to figure out if it will be safe to use there provided bit hole saw . It is the size that will allow for the insertion of the projector body and wire. I am wondering if anyone has ever drilled a hole in a leather panel and through the plastic of a panel before, What I am asking is will the hole saw make a smooth cut through the leather with out grabing and perhaps tearing the leather instead of just making a smooth hole Would appreciate any input before I start the install reff the drilling part.I guess i could try drilling the spare panels but I thought I woudl leave them alone.

Any one provide any different method to make the hole. The hole need to be a hair under 3/4 of an inch and I need 1 1/2 inch clearance of which i have both. If you look at the ebay link and read there instructions it gives you a good idea of what I am talking about. there instructions show just drilling through a plastic panel but where I will be drilling the red leather has a bit of padding in between it and the plastic of the panel. Ever drill through a piece of carpet you know what can happen the drill can bite and start pulling the threads of the carpet out.
2/21/13 [ took 2 weeks to get not bad for free shipping total cost $ 23.00 for 2 units ]
I received the two laser projector bulb kit. First impression very well made quality product. Packed very well. Simple operation excellent wires in nice weight protective sheaf. Plenty of wire to make any connection. I will probably cut all of it away and just need maybe six inches. Plugged it in to 12 volt power source in the door courtesy light.

Held the unit approx 12 inches in high from ground. Projected the complete lexus logo on the ground very sharp and bright in white [ blue is optional color ] . Its really very tastefull looking. Its a really nice touch in my opinion. The install will have to wait for warmer weather. In my last update reff the diilling of the leather and plastic I have this worked out and it should not present any problem at all. I will have to pull both passenger and driver door panels so I will be able to make the hole and then wire it to the door courtesy light. There is also a nice feature built in to the unit it self. If you leave your doors open for more then 4 minutes the projector bulb turns it self off. This will make the laser bulb last longer and prevents unneccessary use of power. The draw is about 5 watts. The only thing I need to do before I install is to measure the hight of the bottom of the door panel to the ground. I dont recall what the hight is and I want to be sure how big the logo will be . The higer up you go the larger the logo. I would like to see it no more then 12 inches. Have to measure myself.

I am really impressed with the entire mod. I will do a complete install with pictures when I do the install. I would reccomend this mod if you like simple inexpensive unique touches on your ride.

I Also would mention that the projector barrel comes with a very well made gasket as well as a double thread lock collar for simple install and seal and adjusting the position of the logo as it appears on the ground. Daylight you can absolutely see it projected on the ground in the nightime its really outstanding but not over the top since the logo is sharp and not overbearing.
Old 02-21-13, 10:50 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by tomscnj
If you know someone that's cool, halogen reverse lights arrive as a "thank you" in the mail. But hey, no thread hijack! We're talkin' puddle lights here.

So Mr. Blister, how did you solve the leather grabbing/tearing problem? That would scare the crap out of me.
Old 02-21-13, 12:05 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
If you know someone that's cool, halogen reverse lights arrive as a "thank you" in the mail. But hey, no thread hijack! We're talkin' puddle lights here.

So Mr. Blister, how did you solve the leather grabbing/tearing problem? That would scare the crap out of me.
I tryed a sample drilling through a plastic sheet [ I put a clear plastic scrap plexiglass over a scrap piece of leather and pressed down hard and then drilled through clear plastic into the leather and then into another piece of scrap plexiglass ] I drilled slowly and got a clean cut .The clear plexiglass over leather sandwich is the key. Once you get through the plastic as long as you are holding pressure on it cuts like butter through the leather and into the plastic of the door panel. In reality the material in the door panel where I have to drill is not leather its a vinyl or some other composite. The only leather on the door panels is a small section just above the door built in arm rest

I will have to pull the door panels in order to do it right.There is plenty of room near the courtesy door light so it will be easy to splice the two wires into the courtesy light connector. This way If I ever have to have the dealer pull the door panel they will have to unplug the courtesy light any how and they wont even notice the projector since its hidden at the bottom of the panel. When I actually do the job I will take pics and you will see its a no brainer.

Now if Johnny and Habious want a road trip i could meet at habious and we could do three cars at once I will make the drive and bring the phila cheese steaks in March when the weather is better.
I need to get my milage over 7144 miles

Last edited by mrblister; 02-21-13 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-26-13, 01:28 PM
meazy620
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just bought mine
Old 03-26-13, 02:28 PM
fj40ih8mud
Pole Position

Me too. Saw them on the japenese thread.
Attached Thumbnails lexus logo projector puddle light-piksdf.jpg  
Old 03-26-13, 03:13 PM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

wow.. its actually pretty cool..
Old 03-26-13, 06:24 PM
fj40ih8mud
Pole Position

Here is the link on their install where I saw it.

scroll about 1/5 down the page...

http://ultimamoda.exblog.jp/i18/2/

Quick Reply: lexus logo projector puddle light